Illegal immigrants who broke the law can now (illegally?) carry a gun as LA police officers

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Illegal immigrants who broke the law can now (illegally?) carry a gun as LA police officers

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore

LOS ANGELES, CA - In the “believe it or not” department, the Los Angeles Police Department is hiring known criminals to patrol the streets of one of America’s largest cities, which Law Enforcement Today reported in December.

Now, according to The Federalist, the same criminals, also called illegal immigrants, are going to be allowed to carry a firearm in order to enforce the laws upon citizens who are in the US legally. As The Federalist put it, "Illegally present foreigners who don’t have the constitutional right to bear arms can arrest and even disarm a U.S. citizen who does."
The known criminals being hired are so-called “dreamers,” who are part of the illegal aliens permitted to remain in the United States by Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program from 2012.
Under DACA, those who arrived illegally in the United States and claimed to be minors are permitted to delay deportation to their home country, although truth be told, under Joe Biden, hardly anyone is getting deported.
DACA recipients can begin the citizenship process by applying for a green card, which is the first step in the process. As The Federalist notes, many “dreamers” continue seeking DACA renewals, which allow them to keep working and living in the US. At the same time, they are still foreign citizens and admitted criminals, having violated our sovereign border.

Historically, US citizens (and lawful permanent residents who are going through the process of becoming legal citizens) were the only people who could serve as police officers. However, in 2022, a law was passed in the Democrat-led California legislature, which authorized hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens, including DACA recipients, to get work authorization in order to serve as police officers across the liberal-leaning state.
According to LA Police Captain Robin Petillo, those illegals will be allowed to “possess department-issued firearms on and off duty.” In addition, the city will hire illegal aliens who are currently in police training.
“We’ve tried to carve [out] just what is necessary for DACA, and these individuals be treated on the same basis of which non-DACA recipients are, as to the possession of a department firearm and its use,” Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore told ABC-7.

Some cities refuse to hire illegal border crossers–Sacramento, for example–due to concerns about gun law violations. Los Angeles, however, has no such reservations, having hired at least a dozen DACA recipients to be police officers thus far.
Under the Second Amendment, it guarantees “the right of the people to keep and bear arms.” People, however, refer to US citizens only, which was reinforced in the Supreme Court decision, District of Columbia v. Heller. In that decision, according to the George Mason University Law Review, the high court “emphasized the connection between citizenship, the ‘political community,’ and the right to bear arms.”

Moreover, the 1968 Gun Control Act, passed by a Democrat House, Democrat Senate, and a Democrat president, Lyndon Johnson, explicitly prohibits foreign citizens from possession of firearms and ammunition. In addition, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in 2017 that DACA does not exempt illegal aliens from that gun law.
However, The Federalist notes that an exception is carved out in the 1968 Act that allows illegals to possess firearms “for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof.”

Still, according to some readings of the Act, that particular section doesn't appear to apply to "prohibited persons" but rather says it doesn't apply "to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof."

No longer so in Los Angeles at least, as now this group of people, who did not enter the country legally, will now be able to carry a gun and exercise the Second Amendment rights guaranteed to citizens in order to potentially disarm an actual citizen or enforce other laws against him.

Mexifornia is finally going to the dogs..in my humble opinion they might as well roll up the sidewalks and close the place down!
What are your thoughts?
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Re: Illegal immigrants who broke the law can now (illegally?) carry a gun as LA police officers

Post by HARRIS »

WE'RE FUCKED! ONLY IN 'MERICA DOES THIS KIND OF THINKING COME TO FRUITION ....

GOD! SAVE THE QUEEN
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Illegal immigrants who broke the law can now (illegally?) carry a gun as LA police officers

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, just one question for you to ponder.
How is this any different than immigrants illegal or legal, serving in our armed forces? I'd argue it's not.
Second the article is misleading at best regarding the 68 law. It does NOT prevent foreigner's from owning or possessing a firearm, nor did the Heller decision. My wife only recently got her US citizenship and she's owned and used firearms the entirety of our marriage, legally.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Tbeck wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:05 am
SJ, just one question for you to ponder.
How is this any different than immigrants illegal or legal, serving in our armed forces? I'd argue it's not.
Second the article is misleading at best regarding the 68 law. It does NOT prevent foreigner's from owning or possessing a firearm, nor did the Heller decision. My wife only recently got her US citizenship and she's owned and used firearms the entirety of our marriage, legally.
Legal immigrants entering the Armed Forces have to obtain a work visa, and have a green card. After 2 years in service they can either apply for citizenship or they are barred from reenlistment. At the 3 year mark, assuming they applied for citizenship, they can take the oath and become a US citizen, if they don't they get an ETS date and are sent packing.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt, well aware of the requirements. No different from the dreamers that fall under DACA. They have to apply, pay taxes, etc.... So there's really no difference. Oh and they don't need to be an immigrant legal or otherwise to serve in the armed forces.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Oh JFC! :soda:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Tbeck wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:28 pm
Sgt, well aware of the requirements. No different from the dreamers that fall under DACA. They have to apply, pay taxes, etc.... So there's really no difference. Oh and they don't need to be an immigrant legal or otherwise to serve in the armed forces.
The point is the military mandates and enforces a path to citizenship, there is no mention of that from the LAPD.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

A little more information on the military and LEGAL residents. When I left the service in 2005 it was illegal for a non-citizen military member to purchase/own a personal firearm. The only firearms they were allowed to handle were military issue while on duty.

I doubt that law/rule has changed since then.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:58 pm
A little more information on the military and LEGAL residents. When I left the service in 2005 it was illegal for a non-citizen military member to purchase/own a personal firearm. The only firearms they were allowed to handle were military issue while on duty.

I doubt that law/rule has changed since then.
It hasn't, all military members have to follow local and state law.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

MattSunn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm
Oh JFC! :soda:
No kidding!

The BS about this is getting thicker as time goes by. :roll:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Guy's calm down. The simple point I was raising for SJ to ponder is that this practice has been utilized by the federal government for the better part of a century.
In this case a California city has come up with it's rule's for allowing dreamers/DACA immigrants to be employed by their PD.

Sgt, you raise a good point about the Fed's providing a path for citizenship, and isn't that what the DACA program inevitably designed to do? Again just something to ponder.
At the end of the day, these people, the dreamers are in a tough spot. Brought here illegally as children. Raised, schooled, and educated their entire life here in the US. It wasn't their choice to be brought and raised here, and for all purposes, they are the same as any American young adult, with the exception of the original place of birth. Deporting them would really be no different than exiling one of our kids to a foreign country.
Our politicians have had decade's to FIX this issue for the so called dreamers, but rather than fix it, they play politics.
So here's a FIX. They pick a cutoff date for the so called dreamers. They have a set time frame, let's say 90 day's to register with immigration and naturalization. They are issued a temporary resident alien card for being here. If after 5 years they've maintained steady employment they can apply for a permanent resident alien card. They will NEVER be eligible for citizenship and if they commit any crime's, get immediately deported. If they fail to sign up for temporary resident alien status within the 90 day window, they get deported. This fixes the issue, provides a humane solution, and yet doesn't reward them for the illegal action of their parents who brought them here illegally.
Again just something to ponder.

Now as to the "JFC" and "no kidding".... Grow the hell up. There's nothing taking place in this thread except some discussion. No one is fighting, arguing, or otherwise misbehaving. So there's ZERO need for those shit stirring comments. If you don't want to discuss this, go to another thread. That's simple, right?

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

All good talking points guys...

The point of interest for posting this thread is that this and possibly others like it, Police departments are so hard up for candidates for employment, they are resorting to hiring illegal aliens as potential life time employees.
And I'm wondering what kind of back ground check do they initiate when hiring these illegals.
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Yes Suzuki Johnny, thanks for bringing this back to The Original Point.

This sort of "hiring" BS is the most likely to be fraught with all sorts of issues as you mention.

And that the police departments are in this situation is caused by left-wingers and their horrid notions like,."defund the police"...and others.

And this is the BS we are left to deal with from left-wingers and their "agenda" and it keeps getting thicker and thicker.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/seattle-p ... uge-crisis

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, interesting questions and points. However and I think this is the most important part of your question; the background checks would be no different than they would be for any other applicants.
The people, "illegal immigrants" as the article calls them are DACA immigrants. These are people who were brought here illegally, but for all purposes, have lived here their "entire" life. So they'd have just as complete of a history as anyone born and raised here.
I see it this way; about 50+ percent of Americans believe that the federal government has failed in it's responsibility for immigration. Additionally this same group believe that some solution needs made regarding the DACA immigrant's. The issue here is one of reasonable fairness. How can you punish someone who didn't have a choice? That's really what the issue is for DACA. Sure punish the parents for breaking the law but the DACA folk's were young children when brought here, and they only know life here. By the same token, they shouldn't be rewarded for their parents crime. The solution I previously made addresses both, no reward, but no punishment either. I think we'll see more cities doing similar to LA if the Fed fails to address this. It's like what Texas is doing to step up border security because the Fed has failed.

Designer, only going to say it ONCE. You've been back just a few days. Don't start with your "BS" comment's to try and start something. It's been very peaceful on the forum without ANY bickering or rude comments, so stop already. I value your input in many posts but you gotta learn to stop the unnecessary crap. Post politely.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

"Designer, only going to say it ONCE. You've been back just a few days. Don't start with your "BS" comment's to try and start something. It's been very peaceful on the forum without ANY bickering or rude comments, so stop already. I value your input in many posts but you gotta learn to stop the unnecessary crap. Post politely."

So tell us, EXACTLY, what was wrong with his post. Seems to me that you are the one starting the "bickering or rude comments".
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, you ain't got a dog in the hunt, and to be honest there hasn't been a cross word between us in a couple months. Let's keep it that way.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 am
Herb, you ain't got a dog in the hunt, and to be honest there hasn't been a cross word between us in a couple months. Let's keep it that way.
Sounds great. same to you.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

What part of "illegal" do they not understand?

However, in 2022, a law was passed in the Democrat-led California legislature, which authorized hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens, ____including DACA recipients, to get work authorization in order to serve as police officers across the liberal-leaning state.

I read that right..so it's not just DACA recipients that they are allowed to hire.......

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:20 am
What part of "illegal" do they not understand?
However, in 2022, a law was passed in the Democrat-led California legislature, which authorized hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens, ____including DACA recipients, to get work authorization in order to serve as police officers across the liberal-leaning state.
I read that right..so it's not just DACA recipients that they are allowed to hire.......
That right there might sound somewhat innocent, but when one examines the ramifications of hiring these NON-americans, it gets much worse.

And into all that,...add this;

Military-age Chinese males entering US through Mexico: Report

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/0 ... co-report/

AUGUST 09, 2023 TIMOTHY FRUDD

Oscar El Blue, an independent journalist for Real America’s Voice News, recently shared video footage from a migrant camp in Panama. The video footage shows an overwhelming majority of migrants in the camp are military-age males from China who are migrating to the United States.
In a nearly two-minute video on Twitter, Blue asked dozens of migrants where they were from and where they were heading. The independent journalist discovered that most of the migrants were Chinese males of military age who were migrating to the United States.

“A huge amount of Migrants from China coming to the USA from a migrant camp in Panama,” Blue tweeted.

One Twitter user who shared Blue’s video footage Wednesday commented, “Who gave them exit visas from China? How did they fly across the ocean to Panama?”

The video footage Blue shared of military-age Chinese migrants in Panama coming to the United States adds to a previous video that was released by a reporter in April. The previous footage documented hundreds of Chinese migrants traveling to the southern border.

At the time, Anthony Rubin, founder of Muckraker.com, told Fox News that groups of Chinese migrants were setting out on buses multiple times a day to come to the United States. Rubin said the route through Panama is for people who “can’t fly into the U.S. directly.” According to Rubin, many Chinese migrants fly to South American countries, travel through the jungle in Colombia, cross into Panama, and then make their way towards the southern border of the United States.

Rubin also said;
Rubin further told the hosts that some Chinese citizens he was recording “do not want their faces on camera,” leading to the question, “Why?” He explained:

“Either they are foreign actors that are coming over here for nefarious reasons, or, number two, these are people that are afraid of some sort of retribution by the Communist Chinese Party,” Rubin said.

“If it’s number two, then what does that mean? That means that these people are going to be beholden to the Communist Chinese Party once they’re here. ‘Oh, you’re in the United States? Okay, well, we’re going to threaten your friends and family back home in China unless you do X, Y, and Z.’ Either way, it’s very dangerous. You can’t allow this just to continue and have all these people cross the border. I mean, it just will not work.”

More ominous, retired Army colonel and staff member to former Rep. Devon Nunes (D-CA), Derek Harvey, told the Epoch Times recently that many Chinese men crossing the border sport the same haircuts, tattoos, backpacks, and “pocket litter,” defined as the same wallet and the same type of ID cards.

Moreover, all are part of a special ops wing of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA), a fact that US intelligence officials are well aware of. He confirmed Rubin’s contention that most were coming to the US via the Darien Gap.

“We have Chinese nationals of military age coming into Latin America, coming across the southern border. They wear the same clothes, they have the same haircuts, they have the same pocket litter. They have the same, ah, knapsacks. It’s like it’s a uniform. And they get processed, and they move on,” Harvey said.
More ominous, Harvey continued:

“They have the same wallet; they have the same types of identification. It’s all the same. And we have good information that they are products of a…they have the same rituals, the same tattoos, and the operating theory by our border patrol and intelligence elements is they come from one special operation unit.”

Rubin told Fox News that people are right to show concern over the increase in military-age Chinese migrants making their way into the United States. Rubin said the increase in Chinese migrants is “very dangerous,” adding that the United States cannot continue allowing unprecedented waves of migrants into the country without following the necessary legal procedures.

“It just will not work,” he said.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Already so let's fact check.
The LAW utilized is SB680 which authorizes immigrants WITH "Federal Work Authorization" to become police officers in the state of California.
So if you are a documented DACA immigrant, OR if you are an immigrant here on a work visa, documented resident alien, you can become a police officer in CA. The first was a DACA immigrant from Mexico sworn in December 2023.