Where Are Norton Motorcycles Made, And Who Owns The Company Now?

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Where Are Norton Motorcycles Made, And Who Owns The Company Now?

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Norton Motorcycles have long been revered for being as speedy as they are stylish, and for the better part of the past 125 years, bikes bearing the company's iconic logo have turned heads on speedways and freeways across the globe. The company's story began in Birmingham, England, with James Lansdowne Norton founding his namesake business in 1898 as a manufacturer of parts and fittings for two-wheeled vehicles. A few years later, Norton began manufacturing its own motorcycles, with the Energette hitting roads in 1902.
Norton became the talk of the motorcycle racing world in 1907 after taking the checkered flag at the inaugural Isle of Man TT race. The manufacturer remained a force to be reckoned with on the racing circuit for much of the 20th Century, with notable riders such as John Surtees, Geoff Duke, and more riding their bikes to victory in the U.K. and beyond.
Apart from a brief pause in production circa the early 2000s, Norton has continued producing sleek, innovative bikes to fit the needs of competitive riders and those who prefer a casual weekend cruise. These days, however, the company does so under the eye of a new ownership group at a factory outside the bustling metropolis of Birmingham.

Since its founding, Norton has developed and manufactured dozens of different makes of bikes, including their beloved Commando Roadster models, one of which is owned by longtime motorcycle enthusiast Keanu Reeves. For much of the company's history, those bikes came off a manufacturing line housed in Birmingham, England. Amid ownership changes in the early 2000s, bikes bearing the Norton name were also briefly manufactured on a smaller scale at a factory in Donington, England. During this time, Norton began rebuilding its name on the racing circuit, competing at the highest levels of competition, including impressive showings at the Isle of Man TT.
After working its back into the high-end motorcycle conversation, Norton again unexpectedly found itself operating under the umbrella of a new ownership group. But with new owners on board and the brand again the toast of racing fans and casual bikers alike, Norton quickly eyed a ramp-up in production and announced the construction of a shiny new production facility. The new space is a little closer to Norton's original home than the previous hub, with the new owners setting up operations in Solihull, England, located just south of Birmingham in the West Midlands. Norton bikes are now being developed and manufactured in the lavish new Solihull facility, and there's every reason to believe that will be the case for many years to come.

Who Owns The Company?

As is often the case with companies that have been around as long as Norton Motorcycle Company, ownership has changed hands several times. While James Landsdowne Norton founded the company in 1898 and used his engineering prowess to shepherd Norton through its early years, it seems he wasn't quite a savvy enough businessman to make Norton profitable. In 1913, the business was in such dire straits Norton was forced to liquidate. Though the founder remained involved with the company until his 1925 death, new ownership stepped in to help right the ship.
Norton flourished under the new regime, as well as others, over the ensuing decades. However, the company fell on hard times again in both the 1980s and 1990s, leading to a series of ownership changes and halts in production. U.K. businessman Stuart Garner bought Norton in 2008, and he nobly sought to return the brand to glory after returning production of the iconic motorcycles to the United Kingdom.
The company faltered again under Garner's reign, with the businessman unloading his motorcycle outfit to TVS Motor Company in 2020. TVS soon announced plans to restore the Norton name to its former glory and promptly broke ground on the Solihull manufacturing plant as proof. Behind a massive cash infusion from TVS, Norton is on its way to a full-blown renaissance, and that revival will no doubt be bolstered by the development of exciting new models like the stunning V4CR.

Read the original article on SlashGear.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcy ... 7ffd&ei=25
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Where Are Norton Motorcycles Made, And Who Owns The Company Now?

Post by Tbeck »

They'll sell a bunch in the UK first because it's a British bike but more importantly the style bike's Norton is producing are very popular there. A lot has to do with the roads, narrow, twisty road's.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I've only seen one and that beautiful machine I got to ride..It was nimble and quick as I remember. And it resembled a 350 Honda Scrambler, at least to me, but it's engine was larger, a 750cc I believe. Most of my friends were riding 883 Sporty's back then and I was on my trusted 350 Harley Sprint.
That Norton was fast by the standards of the time, later on I rode a 1969 650cc Triumph Bonneville and they were both, the Triumph and the Norton were similar in power and handling..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

It is good to see these older companies making a comeback.

I aways loved the look and sound of the Nortons.

Back in 67 I was sharing a place with a guy that had a 750 Atlas. He had hopped it up, higher compression, cam and other goodies. I had a car and a little 100cc Yamaha.

When he needed a car he would swap the bike for my car.

The only problem I had with it was I only weighed 135 and it was a bitch to kick it over. In order to start it I had to put it on the centerstand and jump hard on the starter.

One Saturday he borrowed the car for a date. I went out in the driveway to start the bike. Cold start drill was, turn on petcock, tickle the carbs, kick it over 3 times with ignition off, turn on the key and kick it hard. Usually started on first kick. This time when I tried to start it, it kicked back, fucking HARD. I ended up with my belly on the instrument panel and it felt like my leg was broke. It took about 20 minutes before I could do more than hobble around. Come to find out the points were out of adjustment and timed fast. I reset the points and about 2 hours later got up the courage to try it again, fired up on the first kick.

Damn, I loved the bike, looked great, handled great and ran like a scalded cat.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

My first bike was a 64 Norton Atlas. Owned it for three days, too much bike for a beginner.
Vibrated really bad. Just the way it was. :dunno: After that bike, I’ve never found vibration to be an issue on anything I’ve ever owned or ridden. I remember when the Commandos came out. Really wanted one but never got around to buying one for various reasons. Now a really nice one goes for stupid money.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Norton was a big brand bike when we were first cutting our teeth at riding. Norton, BSA, triumph, BMW, Jawa/CZ, and who could forget Harley and Bridgestone.
Makes you wonder how motorcycling in the world might have been different if the Honda dream had been a flop?