Winter maintenance

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Winter maintenance

Post by Tbeck »

Well I am a bit (3 months) late at getting to my winter maintenance on the beemer but I will be getting on that in the next week or so.
I'll do the full 12k service which is oil, tranny, final drive fluid's, valve clearance checks (waste of time), reset the service computer and that should about do it.
I replaced tires and brakes just before it got put away, and it's canbus electrical so it's all been inspected and the computer checks done before it got put away. I never worry about the battery because I run Odyssey batteries in all my bike's.
I think I am going to send my seat's into Russell for a rebuild and recover because they're getting a little worn, otherwise I can just wait for warmer weather.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Winter maintenance

Post by sgtcall »

I've been putting off the same thing, it's just to cold in the garage and this year it seemed to go from nice outside to bitter cold all at once so I just missed the chance.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Did all the usual stuff quite a while ago. Full tanks, trickle charger, fuel treatment. I do oil changes when they’re due and the chain maintenance was done just before the cold weather set in. I replaced one Sportster battery and one KVS battery before winter. It was a nice day last week so I pulled them all out of the garage and ran them for a while. Same ol’, same ol’ :dunno:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't do winter "maintenance" I do fall and spring service. Too many good riding days, even in the winter, here.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

All year round riding downunder. It's weird hearing about regularly putting bikes in storage.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Hillsy
Your avatar kinda looks like a butt

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy I call it winter maintenance but really it's nothing more than a once a year real thorough going over everything on the bike so I have covered everything that could malfunction or cause a malfunction while riding. For example I would normally replace brake pads and replace the brake fluid, but I needed to replace the pads in September so I did the fluid when I swapped out the pads.

Herb we have enough nice days during winter to get out and ride. When I say putting the bike in storage I simply mean it's parked in the barn for longer periods than what is normal. For example I might ride the entire month of December in colder temps, but maybe the bike will be parked for the majority of January and February because of snow covered road's. I don't put my bike in storage where I would have to add fuel stabilizer and fog the cylinders.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:17 pm
Hillsy
Your avatar kinda looks like a butt
Haha - that's actually an MRI image of my stuffed up shoulder....but if you want to think it's a butt then go ahead :lmao:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Winter Maintenace?????
Hereabouts that sort of activity is usually cleaning and putting up garden tools for the upcoming spring season. :cheers:

We rode yesterday despite the cold front with 20 to 25 mph north winds playing havoc with the two wheelers... Weekly HOG ride then after lunch we attended a Patriot Guard ride honoring a Veteran who's on his last days on Terra Ferma. 27 bikers showed up for the event.
I Logged 132 miles, made a few more biker friends and one cute friendly brunette :ShitGrinandThumb:

The lunch crowd

And later visiting the vet..

The Honoree...82 year old Vietnam Vet

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Nothing like a clean and lube SJ :ShitGrinandThumb:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:30 pm
Nothing like a clean and lube SJ :ShitGrinandThumb:
I agree, it's a great feeling to hit the road after doing the T-Clocks inspection.
I do most of my maintenance on my bikes besides the usual visual inspection before each ride.
yesterday I washed and polished and then checked all the light functions plus tire pressure and all three fluid levels. Didn't find any abnormalities during that going over.
We have two rides this weekend, one on Friday to a popular eatery (Shucks in Abbeville,La) some 90 miles distant and then on Saturday I'll be accompanying our local HOG group for it's weekly ride.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"