I Got a New Job

Keep it civil
sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

I Got a New Job

Post by sgtcall »

Well I got a little board trying to be retired so started looking for a new gig. Part time didn't seem worth it so I went back to full time. Found a job with the Army Reserves 99th Readiness Division as a OSHA Safety Inspector. I am back working on Fort Dix and not far from my last two jobs, Booz Allen and the Army. It seems like a good gig and it is a GS11 position with locality pay for New York area so the pay isn't bad. The best part is they gave me credit for my Army deployments toward my vacation time so I start off with 23 days of vacation and 13 sick days a year. Been working for 3 weeks now and already feel like using a few vacation days. :lmao:

Well I just thought I would let you guys know.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: I Got a New Job

Post by Herb »

Sounds like a great deal, glad to hear that you are happy with it. Let us know how it goes.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Digger
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Road Star

Post by Digger »

Congrats on the new gig! Lots of vacay days to use for riding.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Sounds like a plan..Go for it!
You're finding out that along with retirement and all the extra time on your hands the boredom sneaks in, even though you're occupied with honey do's and other activities..
And since you've found out you're not only good at what ya doing but you're enjoying the time much better..

I too became restless after retiring in 2005 and started a part time job selling and delivering motorcycles and 4 wheelers for local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership. Started out working every other weekend on Fridays and Saturdays..and I loved it. Then the poor fella that I was substituting for had back surgery and was asked to work every weekend.
Then the real fun began
Mechanics after performing warranty work had to take the bike out for a 20 mile test ride but they did not get paid to do so and all of the mechanics were asking me to do the honor, after getting the OK from the boss I was spending some serious time out riding which suited me just fine.
And it gave me the opportunity to ride every model of both brands.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Congrat's on flunking retirement. :ShitGrin: :cheers:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Yep failed retirement :lmao: .

Don't feel bad Sgt, I failed the first time as well and ended up teaching for another 18 year's. The military retirement is a great thing but you find out quickly everyone you know is still working so you don't have anyone to go out with too keep busy.

Use the new job as an opportunity to get some good hobbies established that you can enjoy alone and/or with other's so your next retirement works out.

Congrats on the new job.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Congraulations! I hope it turns out well, and is what you want. I retired five years ago, and I could never go back ... as life is short, and the free time I'd give up while I'm still healthy enough to enjoy it, I'd never get back. But, we all have different situations, and outlooks.

I always figured, if I just walked to the food store and got ingredients to cook for supper, or walked to the library, and did nothing else ... it would be better than the best day I ever had at work. I'm still (so far) able to ride, go to the beach, camp, read, and other assorted hobbies, so I'm rarely bored.
But, with Bidenomics, it is concerning.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

tabasco wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 am
Congraulations! I hope it turns out well, and is what you want.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Thanks everyone. I did enjoy my time off, it was the first time in my life that I could really do what I wanted. It just got to the point that I needed a little more to do. Since I am not from here in NJ I only have a small group of friends, mostly left over Army guys like me, but they all have jobs so never any time on a Tuesday or what ever weekday. I think if I was more of the correct retirement age it would have been better since my friends are my age and would be retired too. But you never know I may try it again in a couple of years.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

With "honey do's and volonteer work, I don't know how I ever had time to go to work.

I have ben totally retired since 2016 and it is the the best 7 years of my life. I do what I want, when I want (unless my wife changes my priorities). Great life being retired.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

Herb wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:26 pm
unless my wife changes my priorities ...
Nope. If a pipe bursts, that becomes an instant priority. Anything else, I'll do if and when I want. Just like she does. Whenever my wife thinks of something for me to do .... let's just say she gave up.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I have friends and family that work, if I want to spend time with them, it has to be on their schedule.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

There are a couple things at play for a military retirees.
First and foremost is they've lived a life of commitment to country which means personal time takes a back seat to the mission and the mission is 24/7/365.
The second is the sense of community. It's hard to describe too anyone who hasn't lived a military career, but there's a brotherhood understood and felt by every person serving. When that isn't present it leaves an empty feeling for military retirees that simply can't be filled in the civilian sector, because it simply doesn't exist there.
Third is the age factor. Most military retirees are well ahead or earlier in age when retiring than their civilian counterparts. Sounds great to be retiring at 38-48 years of age, but how do you occupy time when everyone else you know is still putting in a 9-5 every day of the week.
I get it because I have been there, but for the average civilian who wasn't career military it seems hard to believe that someone would take a job when they could be off enjoying their time regardless of what that enjoyment might be. You really have to try to get your head around what I previously posted.
So while I have taken my fair share of hits for having been a teacher, it's the aforementioned issues at play that led to my decision to go back to work and to enter teaching. It's a commitment to other's and the community in which a person is entrusted with educating the children. There's a strong sense of community within the teaching field, both amongst the staff, but more importantly the students and parents. A good educator isn't there simply from 7:30-2:30 when school let's out. They're available 24/7/365 for whatever a student or group of students need. Might be some tutorial time or it might be chaperoning a dance, attending sporting events or simply lending an ear. And lastly 40 year's of age is just too damn young to not be employed. Still too many year's a person has to give.

I hope that what I have posted here gives non-military folks a little insight. For some military retirees, retirement comes easy, but for other's, especially those who's job involved a higher level of devotion to duty it can be more difficult to retire, than to go to work each day.