Guitar building

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Guitar building

Post by Tbeck »

It was time for my annual guitar build and I had a spare 50's maple telecaster neck I had picked up for another project but had decided to use a more modern neck on that tele build.
So I decided I'd build a 50's telecaster for the project. I wanted to get as close to the original fender 50's telecasters as possible. Already had the neck so I needed a body, single ply pick guard, vintage 50's pick-ups and some brass Wilkinson saddles to go in a traditional telecaster bridge. Still waiting for the ashtray.
Put everything together, shimmed the neck to get the action just right, adjusted intonation and pickup height and all I can say is DAMN is this one sweet playing and sounding guitar. Sorry I don't have a pic service I use so I can post pics.
I used a pine body with a light poly off white which allows some wood to show, kinda transparent. Surprisingly the pine is a very good tone wood. On the neck pickup the guitar sounds bright but very warm and mellow, select the bridge and it's a beast playing metal. Gotta be my best or second best build. The 335 build from last year has amazing playability and tone, so it's a toss up, but I do love tele's and couldn't put this one down.
So far I've built 4 telecasters. The first had a bound body and I gave that one to my younger brother. Then I built what I would describe as a traditional fender player model, but with a 7.25 radius maple neck w/vintage tuner's. Then I built a player plus version with the locking tuners and modern tele maple neck, 22frets instead of my preferred 21 jumbo. And this time it's as close to a original 50's telecaster as I could make. Still waiting on a couple part's to get it as close to the original fender as possible but I'm really really pleased. I'll try to find a way to post some pictures.