30-06

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

30-06

Post by Tbeck »

So if I was to own rifle's I might own a Thompson Center TCR 83 rifle with interchangeable barrels. But we all know gun's are dangerous and kill people, so this is purely hypothetical.
If I did own that TCR I might have recently acquired a 30-06 barrel to go along with the other's, and I would likely have mounted a new scope and base which means I would need to sight it in.
The nice thing about single shots is that as a general rule you can do a very good job bore sighting simply by looking through the bore and the scope to see if they align. Then a couple rounds at the range to fine tune and your done.
Except that doesn't work on a 30-06 evidently. Bore and scope perfectly aligned and the shot placement isn't even on paper. Even with a dead hold bore to scope picture at 50 yds, the poi is high off paper at 100 yds. Who knew! We're talking 10+ inches high.
So back to the ballistic calculator for guidance. Oddly the 06 trajectory is still climbing at 50 yds (not a flat shooting caliber), so a bore sight dead hold at 50 yds is not going to do any good for you at 100 yds. The picture needs to be about 8-10" low at 50

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 30-06

Post by navigator »

Run a tell tale on the bore.
You hypothetical barrel is bent upward at the muzzle end.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

A 8-10 inch change over 100 yards is a huge minute of angle so I would think there is an issues with the bore. Normal minute of angle is about 1 inch per 100 yards.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Ran it through the calculator several times and the 06 does arc quite significant. From muzzle to about 100 yard's it's still climbing. A dead hold at 50 puts the poi at zero @ 225 yard's regardless of whether you're using a 125gr or 150gr bullet.
I'm definitely not accustomed to seeing such a wide arc.
I traditionally shoot flatter caliber like 223, 22-250, 243, or 7mm-08. So this is not something I am accustomed to seeing.
I'll hypothetically have to return to the range and confirm the calculator findings but I am pretty confident it should be about +1-2 moa now..

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I've deer hunted all my life starting at age 16 using a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. As the years progressed I took to hunting pipelines or highlines which gave me the opportunity to get a better view down range. In 1966 I bought a new right out of the box Model 88 lever action Winchester .243 and took it out to a local gun range and zeroed it in at 100 yards with a 10" bull. Using a bench rest with sandbags, I was putting 9/10 shots in the bull.
Not shabby for open sights :ShitGrinandThumb: I later added a 3 to 9 Bushnell scope and it added to the accuracy.
That .243 was my main weapon of choice for many years until I started hunting the many creek and bayou bottoms of southwest Louisiana, that year I purchased a Buffalo Bill Commemorative 94 30/30 leaver action Winchester with the octagon barrel, the darn thing was heavy as a hoot but proved very effective in heavy brush as well as open territory, it proved itself the very first season I bought it with a 135# 6 point in that same bottom country.
Later on, purchases of a bolt action .270 Model 70 Winchester and a bolt action Model 70 .300 Magnum.
Hunted whitetail deer with all and the best of the bunch proves to be the .270, zeroed in at 100 yards it was a beast with any size round.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, my first rifle and the one I hunted with for about my first 6 year's of hunting was a single shot savage made for Stevens in 30-30 . My Dad had taken me to a rifle shop to pick out a gun I liked, and of all the guns in the shop that's the one I wanted. Cost my dad $35.00 :lmao: . But I killed a boatload of deer with that rifle which only ever wore iron sights. I saw a used one for sale a few years ago and it sold for $600.00. I guess that model is really popular now.
I traded that rifle and some cash for the TCR83 which is another very fine single shot rifle even though I hate the over designed safety switch. The savage had a much better slide style safety where the TCR uses a double push button. Still it's got the finest trigger I've ever felt on any rifle. So if you have a bad shot, it was definitely you, lol.
I spent the next 20 year's after acquiring the TCR pistol hunting. Had 223, 44, 30-30, 45-70, 357, and a number of other pistols I've hunted with, and again killed a boatload of critter's with pistols. My wife bought me a Browning blr 7mm-08 in 1992 for Christmas. That's been my preferred hunting cartridge ever since. I had a spare 243 barrel for the TCR rebored to 7mm-08 so if I don't want to carry the BLR I can use the TCR in that caliber. I didn't have an 06 barrel and one came up for sale with the scope base and mounts so I snagged it just to add to my barrel collection. The guy had another barrel I wanted (32-40) but I didn't want to pay what he was asking for a caliber they no longer make factory ammo for. Maybe I'll have my spare 7mm bored and rechambered for that caliber? Who knows.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

One thing about single shot weapons is you better make a good accurate shot the first round! :shock:
In my early years I had never hunted with a semi auto weapon, even when I first started bird hunting at age 14 with a family heirloom, a Model 1917 .410 Stevens shotgun, chambered in 2 1/2". At first not to be outdone by my Dad who was carrying a Browning 'Light Twelve" shotgun I took to shooting white wing doves off the highlines, fence lines or on the ground. I was given 12 shells to hunt with as that was the limit in southwest Louisiana at the time.
And in the course of an afternoon hunting from 12 noon till dusk I could make good with 12 doves almost every hunt.
That's when my Dad threw down the terms... I had to accompany him on all future bird hunts and no more shooting lighted doves, they all had to be shot on the wing, of course that was the best thing that ever happened to me as over the next several years using only the .410 I became a fairly good shot and after a few years I was harvesting my limit on every hunt..
When I turned 21 my Dad gave me his treasured Browning 12 gauge, he had bought a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge which was much better to handle and less kick than the 12 gauge,.
That Browning Light Twelve he gave me has taken down thousands of geese, ducks, white wings, quail, jacksnipes and just about every known species of flighted fowl.
And like my Father before me I eventually bought ( In 2002) a Beretta Urika AL 391 in 20 gauge for the same reason :ShitGrinandThumb: ,
That particular weapon is considered by some to be the best semi auto shotgun made.
I did my research before I purchased it, since I wanted the best made, cost was $865.00 and comes with five different chokes and the best so for all kinds of birds is the Modified Choke.
I've used it extensively for bird hunting since, it's proven it's worth over the last 22 years with thousands of rounds shot and not a single malfunction.
And I ordered it with a 24-inch barrel because hunting in west Texas on my Fil's farm the wild grasses get shoulder high so swinging on quail is much easier. My Father in Law had loaned me his Ruger 20 gauge with a 24-inch barrel to hunt quail with and I fell in love with the shorter barrel.
At the time He was shooting a Benelli Ethos in 20 gauge with a 26-inch barrel and was his favorite to hunt quail and doves.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:02 am
A 8-10 inch change over 100 yards is a huge minute of angle so I would think there is an issues with the bore. Normal minute of angle is about 1 inch per 100 yards.
I agree with this. My 308 I can sight in at 1" below at 50yds and next shot at 100 is about .5" high...so it's still climbing....50-100 yards should not be 8" difference.

T, can you tell if the round is tumbling at 100? If so.,..thats a bad barrel.
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Had some time to get back out to the range. The calculator was correct. I had made the adjustments on the bench at home prior to heading out based on my chart from the first outing. First round was 1.5" high dead center at 100 and the second round was just outside that one by 1/2". Dialed it down 2" and it was dead on the next 3 rounds. That's pretty good with my eyesight which changes daily.
It was quite windy the first outing which shouldn't have been a big deal, and it was in low single digit temp's, but I don't believe that those played a lot into the equation. The trajectory on the 06 caliber is a pretty drastic arc and I hadn't adjusted for that when bore sighting. I'm not a big fan of using 06 for whitetails, it's a bit of overkill in my opinion. However it's a good mule and elk round so it's a good barrel to add in the event I part with the rifle down the road. 243 or 7mm-08 are more than enough to drop any whitetail.
SJ, I wouldn't say I am a real great shooter, just a very selective one, so a single shot or a pistol is what I prefer. I've never missed a shot nor failed to drop the game I'm hunting with a single round. Not bragging, I'm just very selective about the shot. If I can't get the shot placement I want, I won't shoot. My thinking is I would rather pass on a shot than make a bad one and wound an animal.
I REALLY like the shot placement I used this year and I will definitely be using that placement in the future. I've had deer go a few steps and drop many times but with the shot placement I used this year it was dead on impact. Very humane.
Anyhow new barrel is set up and in the case with the other's after a good cleaning. :ShitGrinandThumb: