10 Powerful Motorcycles Between 600 And 750cc Every Biker Should Ride

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Please do not get aggravated because your favorite bike is not listed.

We’re often so lost in the power figures of superbikes and hyperbikes, that we forget to look at the middleweight motorcycles. Granted, these motorcycles don’t make the most horsepower — heck, some of them produce as much horsepower as a tuned-up KTM 390 Duke. But they make up for the “low” horsepower figures by being light and nimble, and for most motorcyclists, these bikes between 600 and 750cc offer a better value proposition.
If you want, go out and purchase the Panigale V4 R, but honestly, can you really extract everything the venerable V4 R has to offer? If you can, you belong on a race team. And if you’re anything but a professional racer, you’ll fit right in with these middleweight motorcycles. You can push them to their limits, improve your skills on them, and occasionally, beat motorcycles much bigger than the one you’re riding.
In order to give you the most up-to-date and accurate information possible, the data used to compile this article was sourced from various manufacturer websites and other authoritative sources, including Motorcyclenews.com, Cyclenews.com, Fastestlaps.com, and Motorcyclespecs.co.za. The motorcycles on this list were ranked based on their horsepower figures, from the lowest to the highest.

2023 CCM Heritage 71 Ti
Power Output: 50 Horsepower
The CCM Heritage 71 Ti is a special motorcycle that is incredibly light, thanks to its titanium trellis frame, a light yet punchy single-cylinder motorcycle, and a minimalist, retro design. Sure, the motorcycle does not produce a lot of horsepower, but it still has a free-revving nature that’s usually found on competition motorcycles. And the handling is said to be feather-light. Of course, it’s an expensive motorcycle, but it’s a work of art.
The chassis is handcrafted from aerospace-grade 3Al/2.5V CW5R titanium, and it’s 13.22 pounds lighter than the Spitfire’s 4139 Chromoly steel chassis
The BMW-designed single-cylinder engine is tried and tested
Packed with fancy components like a titanium exhaust, Raptor foot pegs and bolts, LED cornering lights, billet ali yokes, and Rizoma grips and master cylinder
Performance Specifications
Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, single-cylinder
Displacement
600cc
Max Torque
39 LB-FT
Frame Type
Tubular titanium trellis
Weight
300 pounds
Top Speed
110 MPH

(Specs sourced from Motorcyclenews.com)

2023 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Power Output: 74 Horsepower
Let’s say you want to experience bonkers power but don’t like riding motorcycles on the tarmac, and in that case, there’s hardly a better choice than the Husqvarna 701 Enduro. This is a quintessential off-roading Husky but has a bit of an identity crisis — you can call it a touring bike or an overgrown dirt bike. But call it what you must, you can’t deny the abilities of this motorcycle.
The big-bore thumper engine is one of the most advanced singles on the market and features dual counterbalancers. And unlike other enduros, this one does not hold back its off-road ability for comfort. The chassis is light and the WP XPLOR suspension is dirt-biased. If you must have one enduro in your garage, it should be this one.
Model Highlights
Premium features include CNC-machined triple clamps, ride modes, polyamide rear subframe, WP XPLOR suspension, and aluminum alloy DID rims
It’s an extremely capable off-roader and most riders will never push it to its limits
Fortunately, it isn’t as “Ready to Race” as its KTM counterpart, so it is more accessible for riders with lower levels of skill set
Engine Type
SOHC, single-cylinder
Displacement
692.7cc
Max Torque
54.21 LB-FT
Frame Type
Chromium-molybdenum-steel trellis frame
Weight
342 pounds (wet)
Ground Clearance
10.6 inches

(Specs sourced from Motorcyclespecs.co.za and Husqvarna)

2024 KTM 690 SMC R
Power Output: 74 Horsepower
KTM’s manic character may be too much for an enduro but one platform that suits it the most is the Supermoto, and that’s where the KTM single shines. The 690 SMC R is one of the most sophisticated supermotos ever built, featuring a torque-rich engine that’s hungry for speed, Brembo brakes, and WP suspension. The motorcycle is ridiculously easy to ride really fast, and it’s the perfect machine to hoon around on. We’d not ride this on the road for fear of losing our licenses.
Model Highlights
It’s one of the most hilariously entertaining motorcycles to ride
The single-cylinder is tried and tested and is one of the best singles ever
The handling is ridiculously sharp and agile, making for a perfect supermoto
Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, LC4 single cylinder
Displacement
692.7cc
Max Torque
54.21 LB-FT
Frame Type
Steel trellis frame
Weight
324 pounds
Top Speed
Unknown

(Specs sourced from KTM)

2024 Ducati Hypermotard 698 Mono
Power Output: 77.5 Horsepower @ 9,750 RPM
No supermoto has any right to look so gorgeous, but Ducati has nailed it with the Hypermotard 698 Mono. But the ravishing design is the least of its features. The Hypermotard 698 Mono features the world’s most advanced and powerful single-cylinder engine, which is essentially a 1285 Superquadro L-twin. Everything on the motorcycle is built with one purpose — excitement — and we honestly can’t wait to ride this hauntingly gorgeous supermoto.
Model Highlights
The single-cylinder engine is high-revving, hitting the rev limiter at 10,250 RPM
It’s easily the most beautiful supermoto ever built
The riding dynamics are super aggressive — perfect for parking lot hooliganism
Engine Type
Superquadro Mono, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, desmodromic timing
Displacement
659cc
Max Torque
64.5 LB-FT @ 8,000 RPM
Frame Type
Tubular steel trellis
Weight
333 pounds
Top Speed
TBA

(Specs sourced from Ducati)

2023 Paton S1-R Lightweight
Power Output: 81 Horsepower @ 8,500 RPM
Designed to be a faithful replica of Michael Rutter’s Isle of Man Lightweight TT replica, this gorgeous retro bike proves that a finely tuned chassis is better than a banger engine. The chassis uses Paton’s years of experience, and when paired with Ohlins fully adjustable suspension, it handles better than most motorcycles on the track. The chassis offers tremendous feedback and only requires a light input to steer mid-corner.
The chassis houses the bulletproof ER6 parallel twin that won’t break down every time you look at it wrong — something that can’t be said for many track specials. The engine is slightly reworked to offer more poke and the SC Project makes the engine sound way better than it should. All in all, the S1-R Lightweight is an exhilarating lightweight sports bike as long as you have the money for it.
Model Highlights
It weights 110 pounds less than the Kawasaki ER6 it’s based on
It’s loaded with Ohlins suspension, Brembo M4 monobloc calipers, OZ Piega wheels, and SC-Project titanium full-system exhaust
It’s hand-built and low volume, but so worth it for its neutral yet telepathic handling dynamics
Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin with a 180-degree crankshaft
Displacement
649cc
Max Torque
64 LB-FT @ 7,000 RPM
Frame Type
Tubular steel open-cradle spaceframe
Weight
348 pounds
Top Speed
Over 135 MPH

(Specs sourced from Cycle News and Paton)

2024 Aprilia Tuono 660
Power Output: 95 Horsepower @ 10,500 RPM
The Aprilia Tuono 660 is based on the RS 660 but brings the exhilarating character in a package that’s comfortable to ride and easier to live with. This Italian naked rivals the Yamaha MT-07, but it punches above its weight and can give the KTM 890 Duke a run for its money in terms of its attitude and performance.
Compared to the RS 660, the Tuono 660 focuses on acceleration, and it is an extremely capable machine in its segment. It’s the kind of middleweight naked that you won’t get tired of riding, no matter how long you ride it.
Model Highlights
Packed with electronics like traction control, wheelie control, cruise control, and engine braking system
The small windshield is surprisingly effective, and it can even double up as a sports tourer
Aprilia offers loads of accessories, including a carbon Akrapovic exhaust and soft luggage
Sounds incredible for a twin-cylinder
Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, parallel twin
Displacement
659cc
Max Torque
49.41 LB-FT @ 8,500 RPM
Frame Type
Aluminum dual beam with removable tail section
Weight
403.44 pounds
Top Speed
134 MPH

(Specs sourced from Aprilia and Fastestlaps.com)

Kawasaki ZX-6R
Power Output: 122.3 Horsepower @ 13,000 RPM
If you haven’t already, you need to experience the rush of riding a 600 supersport and there’s hardly a better supersport than the Kawasaki ZX-6R. This incredible machine used to get a lot of flak for not being a true supersport, but in 2023/2024, the ZX-6R is about as pure as you can get.
The handling is immaculate, the high-revving engine is refined with a searing top end, and the riding dynamics are fit for the track. It’s the perfect supersport track weapon, although we wouldn’t recommend you commute on it.
Model Highlights
It comes with tech gizmos like Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC), Kawasaki Quick Shift, power modes, dual throttle valves, ABS, and smartphone connectivity
Despite its aggressive riding dynamics, it’s still approachable for intermediate riders
Thanks to the Showa separate function forks and a nimble chassis, the bike handles like a Ninjato sword through the corners
Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, inline-four
Displacement
636cc
Max Torque
50.92 LB-FT @ 10,800 RPM
Frame Type
Perimeter aluminum
Weight
436.51 pounds
Top Speed
TBA

(Specs sourced from Kawasaki)

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Power Output: 128 Horsepower @ 12,500 RPM
The Kawasaki ZX-6R may be an incredible supersport, but it doesn’t hold a spark plug against the Daytona 675R from the last decade. This legendary supersport is the fancier version of the Daytona 675, adding a fully adjustable Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes with race ABS, ensuring faster and better handling dynamics. The inline-triple engine not only starts pulling your weight from the mid-range but sounds mesmerizing.
The highlight of the Daytona 675R is the chassis — it is sharp and agile — and you’re unlikely to experience such refined handling in any other motorcycle. In fact, the chassis is so good, that Triumph is still using variations of it to test their Moto2 mules and in the Street Triple line-up. We can only hope that the upcoming 2024 Daytona 660 lives up to the legacy of the original 675.
Model Highlights
The fully adjustable Ohlins suspension feels more composed in a variety of riding environments
It’s an extremely easy motorcycle to ride fast
You’ll never push it to its cornering limits — it will always lean further than you think
Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, inline-four
Displacement
675cc
Max Torque
55 LB-FT @ 11,900 RPM
Frame Type
Aluminum beam twin-spar
Weight
406 pounds (wet)
Top Speed
165 MPH

(Specs sourced from Motorcyclenews.com and Motorcyclespecs.co.za)

2006 Yamaha YZF-R6
Power Output: 131 Horsepower @ 14,500 RPM
Regardless of the type of rider you are, you need to experience the thrilling Yamaha YZF-R6, one of the best Supersports ever built. When it was launched, the R6 defined the supersport segment with its screaming, high-revving inline engine, uncompromising ergonomics, ultra-nimble frame, and stiff suspension. It set the benchmark for Supersports that followed, and even in 2024, it’s a motorcycle that purists hold dear.
If there’s one reason why you should experience the R6, it’s the 17,500 RPM redline.
Fortunately, these sold like hot pancakes in the US, so you can find plenty of well-maintained R6s for well under $5,000. And with a few essential mods here and there, you can make this motorcycle a track weapon that will hold pace with much bigger and newer sports bikes.
Model Highlights
The steering is neutral and light, and it tips into corners effortlessly without losing its straight-line stability
The committed riding position is apt for the track and painful for the streets
It’s one of the last analog supersports, and honestly, the best version of the YZF-R6 ever produced
Engine Type
Displacement
599cc
Max Torque
49 LB-FT @ 11,500 RPM
Frame Type
Aluminum twin spar
Weight
355 pounds
Top Speed
165 MPH
1/4 Mile Acceleration
11.1 seconds

(Specs sourced from Motorcyclenews.com)

Suzuki GSX-R750
Power Output: 150 Horsepower @ 13,000 RPM
The Suzuki GSX-R750 is an outstanding motorcycle that doesn’t get the love it deserves — thank you, Mr. Squid, for ruining this one for all of us. Remember, the 1985 GSX-R750 revolutionized the supersport segment by being an efficient track weapon with a 600 supersport handling and near-liter-class performance.
The same compliments can be used on the GSX-R750. Even the new version, although it may look a bit outdated, offers you big-bike performance without feeling overwhelming. And it is also a sports bike that’s easy to live with.
Model Highlights
The bigger displacement allows the engine to produce decent mid-range power for slow-speed riding
Fancy gizmos include Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS), Showa BPF and mono-shock, and Brembo Monobloc brakes
It’s a comfortable sports bike thanks to a short fuel tank, adjustable foot pegs, and adjustable shift lever
Engine Type
Displacement
750cc
Max Torque
63 LB-FT @ 11,000 RPM
Frame Type
Cast aluminum alloy twin-spar
Weight
419 pounds
Top Speed
170 MPH
0 to 60 MPH
2.9 seconds

(Specs sourced from Suzuki)
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: 10 Powerful Motorcycles Between 600 And 750cc Every Biker Should Ride

Post by Tbeck »

Lot's of stupid fast bikes in that line up, iffin you live near a track that offer's track day's to local rider's. I can't even imagine doing 170 mph on a motorcycle. The highest I've ever gone was 112 and the bike felt scary light. One wrong twitch on the bars could have gone really bad.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:46 am
Lot's of stupid fast bikes in that line up, iffin you live near a track that offer's track day's to local rider's. I can't even imagine doing 170 mph on a motorcycle. The highest I've ever gone was 112 and the bike felt scary light. One wrong twitch on the bars could have gone really bad.

I've rode a Busa on a stretch of I-10 and reaved it up to 146 mph and it was done in a flash..The front end came up in evey gear and that scared me more than the mph I was doing.. Dang thing would redline in first gear at 95 mph... the rest of the gears were smooth as glass..
I was crotched down behind the windscreen, if you can call it that, with my face glued to the km/per hour.
I-10 is three lanes at that point and with very little traffic, it didn't take me very long to get to that speed..I honestly thought I was doing much less.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:04 am
Tbeck wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:46 am

I've rode a Busa on a stretch of I-10 and reaved it up to 146 mph and it was done in a flash..The front end came up in evey gear and that scared me more than the mph I was doing.. Dang thing would redline in first gear at 95 mph... the rest of the gears were smooth as glass..
I was crotched down behind the windscreen, if you can call it that, with my face glued to the km/per hour.
I-10 is three lanes at that point and with very little traffic, it didn't take me very long to get to that speed..I honestly thought I was doing much less.
Dangerous speed depends on the bike. What is becoming dangerous on a 1400 intruder is just cruising speed on a Busa.

I love the power, speed and handling on my son's Busa but about 10 miles on it has my old back hurting. Yet I can still do 300-350 a day on the intruder with my backrest.

Each vehicle has it's strengths and weaknesses.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

That Aprilia Tuono seems to be on every one of these lists.