Storm coming

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Storm coming

Post by Tbeck »

Looks like we're going to be getting a good winter storm over the next couple days. High winds gusting to 60mph and of course some snow. Looks like it'll be hitting from Illinois over through New York, and Rochester is the primary target from what I am reading. Winds, snow, power outages, and travel delays...you gotta love it. They even say we could get some severe thunder and lightning :ShitGrinandThumb:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Re: Storm coming

Post by MadCow »

Same storm going to hit us down here, but ours will be all rain and high winds. Stay safe!!
-DBTO

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Father winter is hitting the deep south next week with lows of 28 and 29 for two mornings, but as usual other web sites disguising as weather stations are predicting higher temps,,Plenty of rain and pea size hail is falling at the present moment..
Typical weather patterns for Jan and Feb.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

PRACTICE SAYING ... " OH SHIT ! "
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

HARRIS wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:38 am
PRACTICE SAYING ... " OH SHIT ! "
LOL :funnylast:
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Well it was definitely windy. I did some grocery shopping before it hit and it didn't seem all that bad so I figured I would go toss some flies in the river . About 39 minute's into some difficult fly casting, tree limbs started falling so I figured it was time to get out of the creek.
I had several tree's down in the roads on my way home, and when I got home there was stuff blown all over my front and back yard. Someone lost some roofing which was laying in my front yard, and my bbq grill was toppled on my patio.
I guess it wasn't as bad as predicted but a good bit of wind damage and small fires from downed power lines throughout the area. Today I would imagine will be a clean up with tree removal and power line repairs throughout the local area.
Hope everyone stayed safe :ShitGrinandThumb:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I know that this is northern Nevada but I have talked to a number of people that have lived here for more than my 6 years and the haven't seen a storm as bad as we had yesterday.

I went to bed at 11 and there was 7 inches of snow. I got up this morning and there was 11 inches of snow and it was 10 degrees. It got up to 45 degrees today with no clouds in the sky but all that did was turn the snow to slush and when the sun set it froze again. It is now 10:55 and it is 14 degrees and we have another snow storm coming in tomorrow night...

Not looking pretty for the foreseeable future.

Winter in the north sucks. The only thing I can say about it is the costs and political climate are one hell of a lot better than San Diego.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!

Post by HARRIS »

SEX IS A LOT LIKE SNOW, U DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH OR HOW LONG IT'S GONNA LAST ...
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb that sucks. Don't mind snow but the freeze thaw sucks

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Coldest weather forecast for the deep south
Bur not to worry it's just for a couple of days mid week so we'll still ride! :ShitGrinandThumb:

But it's playing hell with our weekly golf game..So muchrain lately it's cart path only and these wheels of mine doesn't
like to march around in soggy fairways. :ShitGrin:
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

We've begun round two. Winds 30+mph and gusting to 65. In addition we are supposed to be getting what they are calling a arctic cyclone bomb. Gotta love that description but basically the storm is going to be bringing in sub zero temperatures. It was 41 for a high yesterday and supposed to drop to 11 degrees by mid day today. Our extended forecast is calling for highs of no more than 17 for the next 10 days....brrrrr

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:34 am
We've begun round two. Winds 30+mph and gusting to 65. In addition we are supposed to be getting what they are calling a arctic cyclone bomb. Gotta love that description but basically the storm is going to be bringing in sub zero temperatures. It was 41 for a high yesterday and supposed to drop to 11 degrees by mid day today. Our extended forecast is calling for highs of no more than 17 for the next 10 days....brrrrr
One of the reasons why I'm so glad that the Good Lord planted me here in the Deep South..Extended days in freezing conditions is not my forte.
Some years back we had a spell like that , it went 10 days below 32 degrees and we were stuck inside as most of the roadways were still coated with a thin layer of ice making any kind of travel treacherous. And we Cajuns unsuited for that kind of misery suffered greatly.. city was completely unprepared, police were out in full force, utility companies were swamped with complaints and one can only imagine the rest of the story :ShitGrin:
Complete pandemonium.
And as usual most of the population of my fair city are totally unprepared for any temps in the teens and it will start all over again.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:44 am
Tbeck wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:34 am

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

One of the reasons why I'm so glad that the Good Lord planted me here in the Deep South..Extended days in freezing conditions is not my forte.
Some years back we had a spell like that , it went 10 days below 32 degrees and we were stuck inside as most of the roadways were still coated with a thin layer of ice making any kind of travel treacherous. And we Cajuns unsuited for that kind of misery suffered greatly.. city was completely unprepared, police were out in full force, utility companies were swamped with complaints and one can only imagine the rest of the story :ShitGrin:
Complete pandemonium.
And as usual most of the population of my fair city are totally unprepared for any temps in the teens and it will start all over again.
[/quote]

It's currently 32 degrees out but since we haven't experienced any rainfall proceeding this front the roadways are clear for travel so we will ride this am, Our riding group waits till a morning such as this one to label it our Polar Bear Ride for the year! :ShitGrinandThumb:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, I recall driving to Texas in I believe 1982 for some military training. A storm hit while we were in the Texarkana region and it forced us to find a hotel for the night. Car's wrecked everywhere and we woke up to 4" of hard packed ice on the roadway's which made driving interesting. Needless to say other than some road grader's trying to get the ice off the roads, most locals must have stayed home.
So you all aren't really well equipped for that type of weather.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Yep spot on T..
Seems sort of strange that we have prepared stored hurricane supplies for the inevitable hurricanes that pass our way now and again with multiple flood arrangements but no set of preparatory lists for ice storms.. last really bad ice storm here was in 1997.. our fair city of 71,000 residents were totally unprepared and the city was paralyzed and locked down for the most part, although I was the only one of 21 employees that showed up for work :ShitGrin:
We are just not accustomed to iced over highways and below freezing temps for days on in...Some years back we had two inches of the white stuff decorate our landscape for three days, it was wonderful and everyone enjoyed the every ten year spectacle, but numerous wrecks along the interstate and back roads galore, the police were unable to keep up and several just took down the others license numbers and insurance information and left the scene since it was bitterly cold to stand around and wait for local authorities to show up. Happens every time a cold event takes place in the deep south.
But we can survive with 22 days with temps over 100 degrees, some 110 days with no sweat, no one dies from heat exhaustion or over heating.
Go Figure.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, we get some high temps here during summer, but unfortunately it's that really humid crap. Without the humidity the high temps are more enjoyable :ShitGrinandThumb: .

Now I REALLY enjoy watching the news when Atlanta gets a freeze going. Those folk's ain't got a clue when it comes to icy roadway's.

The more I thought about it, I believe it was 1984 when you all got that freak snow I previously mentioned. I would go frequently to Bergstrom and occasionally Barksdale to train folk's. Barksdale was by Bossier City, I think that's northern Louisiana? I have a buddy that was on my team in the AF that recently bought a house down there by Barksdale. I need to go visit him if I'm up to it come summer.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

To follow up on my previous post....we have a low tonight of 22 degrees with a chill factor of 9 degrees..

At approximately 6 pm this evening several vehicles plus a couple of 18 wheelers were involved in separate crashes on our two area bridges, as of 10pm tonight there are still multiple vehicles still stuck behind those crashes..just rec a text from a friend whose been there for 3 1/2 hours now, he's not worried , full tank of fuel, some water and some left over lunch.. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Thought for sure they would have sanded the bridges before the slight rainfall this afternoon but none.. and I'm hearing reports of a person slipping on one of the bridges and falling off the railing. Unconfirmed right now..more tomorrow morning..
Sweet wife and I are prepared for the worst... enough food stores and water for at least two weeks, all vehicles fuel tanks full and a cautionary generator just in case we lose power.
Like I said before our state and local governments do not and will not fully prepare for a major ice/snow event..

A full week's notice, 27 degrees and 2/10's of an inch of precipitation, no salt or sand on bridges and SWLA is at a crippling standstill. Undoubtedly, we have a bunch of high paid paperweights sitting at desks in leadership around here.
The recipe for this disaster:
0- Accountability
0- Dedication
ALL- Ineptitude

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!

Post by HARRIS »

AND, THEY ARE THE BEST THAT MONEY COULD BUY ...

PS
I AWOKE TO 20* AND EVERYTHING ALL WHITE. IS THAT RACIST OR WHITE PRIVILEGE?
Luck & Experience:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Don't forget to unplug the tesla, turn off the lights and turn down the thermostat, so that others don't freeze like you will.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.