Ponder

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Ponder

Post by Tbeck »

I was thinking back over the years and bike's I have owned. Some were absolutely duds and other's just made you want to ride. Some of them I wish I hadn't gotten rid of.
So I got to thinking that if money, availability, etc weren't an issue and you could have any bike of your choosing, new model or late, what would it be?

For me it came down to 2 previously owned bikes, my 2011 BMW RT, and my 1999 Harley Road glide . As much as I truly loved my RT, the Road glide was undoubtedly the bike I would have to go with. I rode the crap out of that bike in every type of weather, went to rallies, greet and meets, and I rode with hundreds of IA'rs while I owned that bike. It was the last year Harley put the air assist forks on the glide which I always ran at 2lbs, had gear driven cams installed because I had the cam bearings replaced in the 88. I think I could have ridden that bike in my sleep it suited me so well. Heck it was on that bike that I met The Woodland Gang and posted the JustJohn loogie story we had so much fun with.
So that would be my choice, how about you all?

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Ponder

Post by MattSunn »

Not a lot to ponder with me. Sportsters. I’ve owned 23 or 24 of them. The two I have now are just fine and I really like the Vulcan S’s I have also. Most of the other bikes I’ve owned since 1968 were OK with three exceptions. If Money was no object I’d probably still own Sportsters. :dunno:

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Two of them. They are still in my garage.

The other three were "starter bikes" LOL

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Okay you two, you just sucked all the fun right out. SOoo

Money and availability aren't a factor so you can have ANY bike of your choosing. Surely over the decade's we've all been riding there was/is one motorcycle that you've looked at, test rode, or just thought to yourself, "I'd love to own that bike."

I'm pretty sure we're all riding bikes we like, so let's step out of the box for this one :naughty: .

I'm like you guy's in owning and riding a bike I'm comfortable with and enjoy riding. Over the course of my adult life I've always bought and traded bikes for something that I wanted, so I've been fortunate enough to have owned a bike year's ago that given the criteria for this post, would be the make model and year I'd choose. However some of the people here might have really wanted a bike that was simply beyond what their means or logic would allow. Given the criteria above what would that bike be?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

If it's "money is object" I'd have pretty much one of everything :mrgreen:

I probably couldn't narrow it down to one bike but there are some that I remember fondly - I test rode a 92 CBR1000f back in the day and that test ride was perfect. I remember the thing handling like it was on rails. I tried to run over all sorts of potholes and crap to see if it would "unsettle" but it was amazing. I couldn't afford it at the time but will never forget it. Rode a few other CBRs after that but they were never as good.

My GS1150 was a great bike. Had a 1299 kit and was stupidity in a flexible frame. Had some great times on that bike. Sold that and got my first Diversion - which at the time was a sharp bike - but not as sporty as I was craving still being kinda young so ditched that for a ZX9r.

I rode the Yamaha 1000 Thunderace when it first came put and that thing was the fastest thing I'd ridden at that point. Also rode the first model XV1600 Road Star when it was released and that made me grin from ear to ear. The list just kinda goes on.....

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

MattSunn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:50 am
Not a lot to ponder with me. Sportsters. I’ve owned 23 or 24 of them. The two I have now are just fine and I really like the Vulcan S’s I have also. Most of the other bikes I’ve owned since 1968 were OK with three exceptions. If Money was no object I’d probably still own Sportsters. :dunno:
If money were no object I would have a '94 and below 1400 Intruder that has been professionally restored along with the small dirt bikes I have now.

I have never had a bike I liked as well as my 87 1400. The '99 is ok but not as good as the '87 - '94 models.

Just for fun I might throw in a Suzuki GT550.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Ok, if money wasn’t a problem there’s a whole bunch of bikes I’d like to own. First I’d have to have an enormous garage built. That would cost me. Then I’d start with a Hayabusa. I’d probably only ride it about 3 miles/year, but I’d love to own one. It’s an ergonomic nightmare for me and insuring one is pricey, but if I had the cash, I’d own one.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Please note, I said "professionally restored". I already have a rat '99.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.