Keep it civil
Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Re: I went down....

Post by Yooper »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:18 pm
I'm still thinking ADV bike. I'm pretty long in the leg and most "normal" bikes just don't work for me any more as far as seat to peg distance.

I've ridden the new Suzuki 800 Strom and it is nice. Still powerful but a little taller and lighter than my old 1000.

Probably 800 or 900 ADV of some description. It will be fun confusing myself with test rides anyway :cheers:
Let us know what you decide on. I'm looking for a small, more agile bike also. My VN 2000 is getting to be a real chore to ride. I'ts not a bike for a 75 yr old. So, I'll be looking in spring, maybe earlier.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

The 800DE looks nice but seems a bit pricey. It's like the BMW 850gs, pretty expensive for what you get. Considering a Super Tenere is in the same $$ category I'd probably give it a look.
I guess it really comes down to which you feel best riding. If the Suzuki feels right compared to the options, that would be the way to go. All those bike's bulletproof anymore, so just find the one that sings to you.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

So I finally went for a proper ride today....
on this thing....

It's an auction bike that was the victim of a JB Weld repair on the shifter shaft casing (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14779). Appears to have been a success.

It's got Heli riser bars on it - but it's still pretty uncomfortable for me in my current state. I probably only rode it for half an hour or so - just enough to figure it's good to be sold.

But at least I'm good to ride again :cheers:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Those SV's are bulletproof, butt ugly but they last forever. You going to keep that one?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

If you mix the JB correctly it should be as good as the original casting if not better.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

T - I simply can't live with the ergo's of sportsbikes anymore. Even before my accident I have had trouble riding most of the bikes I've had through the shed. It's mainly the (lack of) leg room that is the biggest problem for me.

This SV is up for sale. I made sure the JB was inside and outside the cases to hold the broken piece. It has some webbing as well in the break area so the JB has extra metal to bond to. I'm pretty happy with how that turned out. Bike changes gear perfectly and it's simply a really nice bike....except for the ergos :lmao:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, yep I understand about the ergonomics. I had that concourse 1400 which I had installed bar riser's, dropped the pegs 1.5" and installed a RDL seat (1.5" taller). I absolutely loved that bike but even with the mods my right shoulder would play me up a little after long rides. I believe it was more of a handlebar width issue than a tilt thing. It's a shame cause I really did like riding that bike.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So the latest is that I will have surgery to re-attach the tendon and mend the others in the next few weeks. My surgeon is on leave at the moment due back 8th Feb so probably sometime in the week following that.

Not particularly looking forward to being back to my arm in a sling for 6 weeks but I'd rather have this done now than in 12 months time. There's really no other option as the subscapularis tendon is totally severed.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

You have to get that fixed, but it is going to put riding on hold for a while. If I was you, I would PLAN to not ride for a full year from the time of your surgery. That gives you time to heal, rehab and rebuild your shoulder strength. Figure a 10-20% loss of strength in that shoulder which you might be able to reduce those numbers if you work at it hard after release to full activity.
I do wish you the best and a speedy recovery. Keep us updated as you know.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:32 pm
You have to get that fixed, but it is going to put riding on hold for a while. If I was you, I would PLAN to not ride for a full year from the time of your surgery. That gives you time to heal, rehab and rebuild your shoulder strength. Figure a 10-20% loss of strength in that shoulder which you might be able to reduce those numbers if you work at it hard after release to full activity.
I do wish you the best and a speedy recovery. Keep us updated as you know.
Yeah I know it's going to set me back but I'd rather get it done now than get incrementally better over the next 6-12 months and THEN go back to square one.

All good - I'll be keeping myself amused with tinkering anyway so I'll still be "around" bikes.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Speaking of keeping myself busy tinkering....I picked this up about a week ago and just on-sold it yesterday....

94 model CBR600f2. I saw it advertised locally (literally 1 mile away). It was non running - guy had stopped riding it just before Covid and parked it in his garage. I recognised the faded paint on the tank - I used to see this bike parked at my local train station when I used to commute into the CBD.

Anyway - trailer-ed it home, flushed the fuel and hooked up a new battery. Thing fired into life within seconds. Ended up selling it for 3 times what I paid for it. Didn't even bother tidying it up - just left it with the "patina" it had. An older guy came along and just bought it outright.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I remember coming home in about 1980
-81 on leave and visiting with the girl and family I posted about that owned the local Honda dealership. They had what was for all purpose a factor CBR with a similar paint job they couldn't wait for me to ride. I don't recall what displacement but you couldn't keep the front down in any gear. I remember trying to roll on really easy and it still climbed. It was the bike they had raced at Dayton that year.
Funny thing is every time I came home for about 10 year's they'd tell me that they had a bike I needed to ride, lol. Last one they put me on was a rune. I don't recall what year that was, maybe the early 90's but that was the most tame of their "you gotta ride this," bike's.
So when I see a bright red Honda cafe I automatically think of that bike from the 80's.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:47 am
I remember coming home in about 1980
-81 on leave and visiting with the girl and family I posted about that owned the local Honda dealership. They had what was for all purpose a factor CBR with a similar paint job they couldn't wait for me to ride. I don't recall what displacement but you couldn't keep the front down in any gear. I remember trying to roll on really easy and it still climbed. It was the bike they had raced at Dayton that year.
If you are right with the year being 80 / 81 then it would not have been a CBR - more than likely a CB1100r. They had 750 and 900 Boldor versions as well but the 1100r was the racing homolgation model.

The CBR600/1000f's didn't make an appearance until 87.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy you are likely correct with the cb1100r suggestion.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Interesting times for racing back then. You had 3 of the Big Four competing with their biggest cc bikes and building street versions of them as well. Cooley on the GS1000s, Spencer on the CB1100r and Lawson on the KZ1000r.