Dust in the wind...

Keep it civil
Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Dust in the wind...

Post by Cuban »

All we are is dust in the wind.

With both nTrude and RK passing recently, as well as so many others over the years, one can't help but consider our own mortality. I'd be lying if I didn't say it's been on my mind lately. I'm 70 now, and as a result, I've been pondering it myself...

All we are is dust in the wind. The words are sobering. We live, we breath, we laugh, we cry. We ride. Oh, we know it all has to end, but subconsciously we don't really want to admit it, or think about it. Dust in the wind? Not me.

We tell ourselves that at least we'll be remembered. There's something comforting about that. We will live on in the hearts and minds of others. Surely our loved ones won't forget. They will hold the memories of our existence in their minds, right? Our story will remain intact, right?

The sad part is the answer to that question is no. We will be forgotten too. Lost in time like everyone else. Dust in the wind. Sure, history records the words and deeds of some, but not really all that many. And even their memories fade as future others stop looking.

Think of the billions of lives already lived, of songs that have been sung, of children born and promises made. All that has come before is gone. And nobody even knows anymore. All is lost in time.

All we are is dust in the wind. Kinda sad. Space travel is a dream.

:cheers:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Dust in the wind...

Post by MattSunn »

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

:funnylast: :space: I had totally forgotten that scene in Stripes. :ShitGrin:

Yeah,....let's keep things on the more Lighter Side here on Our Board. :space: :rock:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

y sistere recently gave me a box of old pics that my mother and father had. Going through it I found so many that I had no idea who they were. Nothing on them to explain.

Some of them had things I recognized from when I was a kid and I set them aside and gave them to the local museum where I grew up.

It got me to thinking though. I, like many people today have electronic pics and when we go there will be no explaination on them either. They will end up out in the electronic waste. At least they won't be taking up space in some box that people have no idea what they are.

Oh well, I enjoy looking through them to remember things.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Cuban wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:48 am
Shit Cuban
rough seas topic

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:15 pm
Cuban wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:48 am
Shit Cuban
rough seas topic
Sorry, but I have a faith that says this is just a transition...

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

No need to apologize to me it isnt my thread
Apologize to Cuban its his thread

Also Never apologize for your faith

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Ok, consider it an apology to Cuban.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

That it will not come again
Which makes life so sweet

But Helen Keller said it best

Death is no more than passing from one room into another.
But there’s a difference for me, you know.
Because in that other room I shall be able to see. Helen Keller
(Remember Helen Keller was blind)
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

MattSunn wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:35 am

lol You're a funny son of a bitch Paul. :lmao:

FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:15 pm
Shit Cuban
rough seas topic
:ShitGrin: Yep. Been on my mind a lot lately. I recently lost a dear old friend too. :sad:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Seems to me, there's no need to apologise to anyone. :space: :dunno:

However, I do feel sorrow for atheist's whose "beliefs" leave them with such a hollow and meaningless-existence view of life as they post about.

sad.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I am at a point in my life where I seem to be losing friends faster than I can make new ones. It really sucks to lose 40-50 year friends.

My wife says that I have trouble making new friends because of my sandpaper personality.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

NOT U ...

BUT IT DOES SEEM THAT U ARE BAD LUCK TO BE AROUND FOR THE LIVING
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

HARRIS wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:23 am
NOT U ...

BUT IT DOES SEEM THAT U ARE BAD LUCK TO BE AROUND FOR THE LIVING
No, I just have the good luck to survive.

bassman
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by bassman »

Designer wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:19 am
However, I do feel sorrow for atheist's whose "beliefs" leave them with such a hollow and meaningless-existence view of life as they post about.

sad.
And why should you feel sad about knowing the "hereafter" is but a dirt nap returning the body's elements back to original elements eventually. We are all Stardust and will be again. I live life and love life just as you do but without the magic others believe in.

Having just gotten news of a passing of a riding friend from MN I had plans to visit this fall in his retiremenet house in MO it is sad that being around at 80 means so many of my boyhood and working life friends have left us. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...just not too bright yet. The last month after 3 trips to the ER and 2 overnight stays it was definitely getting brighter but fortunatel has faded a bit now. I have for several reasons had to give up riding and between that and boating it leaves me with a hole in my life only memories can fulfill.

And now, back to a lighter note, damn that N-Trude could wheel that trike through the twisties like it was on two wheels and not three. Never rode with Roadking but sure that he would have been one of the good ones to ride with. Not all are.

Nick

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

We each have our beliefs but if you are correct I have nothing to lose, if I am correct you will lose everything.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Life is a voyage
Your heart is the ship
your thoughts are the path
your spirit is the wind

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

bassman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:28 am
Designer wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:19 am
However, I do feel sorrow for atheist's whose "beliefs" leave them with such a hollow and meaningless-existence view of life as they post about. sad.
And why should you feel sad about knowing the "hereafter" is but a dirt nap returning the body's elements back to original elements eventually. We are all Stardust and will be again. I live life and love life just as you do but without the magic others believe in.
That you call faith in God,.."magic"...tells us all the level of your understanding of belief in a Higher Being .

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:36 pm
That you call faith in God,.."magic"...tells us all the level of your understanding of belief in a Higher Being .
It's a nice reassuring story made to keep the masses from thinking too much.

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

bassman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:28 am

... We are all Stardust and will be again. I live life and love life just as you do but without the magic others believe in.

Having just gotten news of a passing of a riding friend from MN I had plans to visit this fall in his retirement house in MO it is sad that being around at 80 means so many of my boyhood and working life friends have left us. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...just not too bright yet. The last month after 3 trips to the ER and 2 overnight stays it was definitely getting brighter but fortunately has faded a bit now. I have for several reasons had to give up riding and between that and boating it leaves me with a hole in my life only memories can fulfill.

Nick

I've always enjoyed reading your posts bassman, and I hope to read many more. Be well and best wishes. :cheers:

:rock: