Bad Accident

Keep it civil
Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Bad Accident

Post by Acton67 »

Hey guys, I've been an active member on these forums for a few years. Recently involved in a bad motorcycle accident that shattered my right tib fib.

I was on a 2 lane highway with a 55mph speed limit behind a van traveling around 40. I followed for 2-3 miles before I legally decided to pass on the left, having broken yellow lines. At the last second the vehicle I tried passing turned left, sending me flying 100ft. I was next to him actively passing at that time. I do not recall the driver ever having slowed down or putting on his blinker. Witnesses on the scene corroborate my version of events that he did not slow down, and they report he turned on his signal at the last second before turning left while I was actively passing him. I have already hired a lawyer who has reached out to the witness and says I have a good case.

I was sent flying 100ft before I finally stopped. I didn't lose consciousness, but when I sat up I saw my right lower leg bent inward at 90 degrees. Being an ER nurse I realized I could have other injuries so I just waited for a bystander to come to the scene. She promptly called 911. Eventually EMS arrived and then I was airlifted from the scene to a level 1 trauma center in NJ.

I was wearing all the gear dressed for the slide. A full faced helmet, a riding coat with under-armor inserts, bohn armor underpants(I learned about these on this forum), riding gloves and steel toe boots. I don't ride like a nut case, and I suspect most other members on this forum are the same. I loved riding for the experience, and did most of all my own work on her.

The bone reconstruction process went well but I'm still in the hospital at least for another two weeks before they discharge me due to the internal soft tissue injuries I had. I'm going to need a thigh flap from my other leg to correct this. If it doesn't work I'll end up a right below the knee amputee. Just happy to be here and know either way I'll live. Being in the hospital this long is literally the worse, especially since I used to work in one.

I love the intruder community, I actually met navigator in person this past spring. Learned everything I knew about wrenching on these bikes here on intruders-alert.com. Any support I can get would be great. My wife is 32 weeks pregnant and we will soon be having our first child. She will soon be out of work as well, I qualify for disability but our incomes won't be enough to bridge the gap. I'm doing whatever it takes to support my family, even if I'm doing it out of a hospital bed.

My gofundme page is as follows: https://www.gofundme.com/f/seriously-in ... e=facebook

Sincerely,
Acton67

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Bad Accident

Post by sgtcall »

For anyone wondering if this is a scam.

Action67, who posts to IA often, came to the site admins via PM prior to posting this message in order to ensure it was allowed on the site. Navigator has confirmed meeting Action67 in person and I am confidant this is not a scam.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

My GOD!

What a tragedy!

At least we still have you here.

My Prayers to you for a full recovery.

Keep us posted

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Bump
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Thanks for the support guys. Honestly just lucky to be here, could have been way worse. Don't think I'll ever ride again now that I have a son on the way and with what happened to me, buy I have a vs1400 on the table that I bought a bunch of parts for last spring. Think I'm going to get the bike back into road worthy condition, throw a new paint job on it then sell it or raffle it off to a good cause. Figure it could be a kind of tribute. They can take me off the bike but they can't take away all the riding experiences I had riding and wrenching on it. Figure this'll be one last project to put all the wrenching skills I learned to good use. I'll post progress updates here when I start work on her again (most likely next spring).

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Update.

August 11, 2023
by Kathleen Lialios, Organizer
Today marks 2 weeks since the accident.
Yesterday, Will spent approximately 11 hours in the operating room in an effort to save his lower leg. Will's ankle was showing signs of tissue death above where they put in the plates used to stabilize the shattered bones. He was running fevers on and off, which was concerning. This operation the surgical team rerouted circulation to the ankle and did another skin graft to heal the dying skin / tissue. On the overnight he was checked every hour by his remarkable nurse, per the doppler's and as per the coloring of the graft- all showing signs of good circulation. We are very hopeful and optimistic at this time.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support for Will and Stephanie. Please continue to share his GoFundMe page so we can continue to help them.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Prayers for good recovery and everything goes well.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Hope he recovers quickly...thoughts!!!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Update

Yesterday
8/18/2023 Will was discharged from the hospital to his home last night at 10 PM. Both Will and Stephanie thoroughly discussed with the entire team (plastic surgery, orthopedics, and trauma teams) caring for him and it was decided that Will would do his rehab at home. Given the fact that Will is a registered nurse and Stephanie is a licensed vet tech they will be laser focused on his wounds and recovery.
Of course with all discharges there is always the unforeseen complication. As it turns out his insurance is not covering the cost of visiting nurse, at least not with any of the agencies the hospital had reached out to. They are in the process of trying to find an agency near their home that will provide nursing service for bandage changes and wound checks. The hospital did agree to release him given the fact that he is a nurse and she is a vet tech and she can change the bandage until they find a nurse. They had to purchase their own medical equipment because he was in a Jersey hospital and the medical supplies company in Jersey would not transport across state lines to New York.
Will cannot do any physical therapy at this time because of his strict post-op protocol. He is on a 28-day dangling protocol which means he is only able to lower his leg aka dangle the lower leg for a certain amount of time such as 15 minutes and slowly increase to 30 minutes once and then twice a day. Once that dangling protocol has completed then he would need a physical therapy evaluation and start treatment in an outpatient PT setting. Since Will was in the hospital just shy of one month since the accident He really didn't want to spend any more time away from his beautiful wife and their unborn child.
Now the hard part starts...the long and slow road to recovery.
Will and Stephanie still need your generosity, your compassion and your help. If you can find it in your heart to donate to his GoFundMe fundraiser it is truly appreciated. If you're unable to donate then please share his GoFundMe page so that we can continue to reach more people to raise money because Will is going to be out of work for the unforeseeable future.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I sent this link to some friends and family. My brother ask if there is a surcharge for the donation. He said he made a donation to one of these in the past and his $100 donation incurred a $30 surcharge. He wants to make sure that there is no surcharge.
I have never dealt with a gofundme account so I can't answer his question.
I have to wait until next week when my next payment arrives to donate and would also like an answer.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:04 pm
I sent this link to some friends and family. My brother ask if there is a surcharge for the donation. He said he made a donation to one of these in the past and his $100 donation incurred a $30 surcharge. He wants to make sure that there is no surcharge.
I have to wait until next week when my next payment arrives to donate and would also like an answer.
There is no surcharge but there is an automatic tip that gets added if you don't pay attention, you can adjust the tip down to zero or any an=mount you want. The tip goes to the gofundme site.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:01 pm
Herb wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:04 pm
There is no surcharge but there is an automatic tip that gets added if you don't pay attention, you can adjust the tip down to zero or any an=mount you want. The tip goes to the gofundme site.
Thank you for the information, I passed it along to my brother and will watch for it when I donate.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Discharged home last week. So far everything's going well. Need daily dressing changes and I'm non weight bearing on my right leg till mid October. Docs say I'll walk again. All said and done I'm a lucky guy. Many have come out of these accidents way worse. Thanks for the support again guys.

Legal proceedings are moving forward. Things are looking good there too. Just unfortunate this even happened.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

SO good to see a message posted from you, Acton67.

And,...with such postive news too! :space: I had my worries.

My prayers go out to you for your Full Recovery. :space: :rock:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

UPDATE
Today
8/29/23 Yesterday Will had his 2 week checkup with the orthopedic and plastic teams. Unfortunately he received disappointing news. A Suture and Tendon has shifted / migrated and was exposed externally. This means his wound is compromised. He is waiting for the team to arrange another surgery. During the surgery the wound will be cultured and we will be praying very hard that there is no infection and if there is an infection that it does not compromise the bone. They will have to remove the suture and they are hoping that the tendon will hold if it does not, that tendon will have to remain where it is and It is possible that the movement of the lower leg will be affected. This will have to remain in effect for a year until they can repair the tendon again. There are more details about what the surgery will encompass which is much too long to put here. Stephanie has been updating the doctors nightly with photos after every daily bandage change. She has been vigilant in caring for him and the doctors were very pleased with his progress up until the last dressing change the night before his appointment.
This is very disappointing news for this couple. Stephanie is in her 9th month of pregnancy and this couple should be having this time spent preparing for the birth of their child. But now they are facing another surgery, another complication, another disappointment.

Now more than ever they need your continued support, they need your continued donations. This is going to be an even longer recovery which means Will remains unable to work. This couple is praying that he will not be in the hospital when their baby is born.

Please keep them in your prayers and your thoughts, please continue to share his GoFundMe page. Please consider donating to this couple to help them with their ever mounting bills, keep the roof over their heads and put food on the table.
Thank you to all who have donated thus far, we are all so very grateful for your support.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Thoughts and prayers

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Update.

Today
9/5/23. Will is back in the hospital and scheduled for surgery tomorrow. More uncertainty for this couple. we are hoping and praying Will can be discharged home early next week. Stephanie and Will's first child is due on or about September 25th. We are really hoping and praying that he will be home and not a patient in the hospital for the arrival of his child. Please keep them both in your prayers, please continue to help donate in any way that you can. If you can't donate please share his GoFundMe page so we can reach more people. Will has a very long slow road to recovery ahead of him. Any help you can provide for them is very much appreciated.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Updates (16)
Yesterday
Will and Stephanie are in the hospital for the birth of their first child. Please keep them in your prayers for an uncomplicated delivery and a healthy child.
Due to complications from the grafts, He had to have surgery to release the tendon and clean out the wound. He had to have a p i c c line inserted for daily intravenous antibiotics as the graft / wound site was compromised. He has to have a wound vac over his ankle to assist in healing. This has not been an easy road for him or for his wife. Will and Stephanie still need your help, they still need your generosity and they need your prayers.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Had my son in September. 6lbs 7oz, 19inches. Walking with a cane currently. Have to use an AFO because my anterior tibialis tendon is shot and I can't lift my foot. Otherwise I'm a lucky guy that I still have my leg. No news on the lawsuit. Thanks for the support guys!