Coyote

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Coyote

Post by Tbeck »

Heading to camp for an overnight stay and hopefully a chance to blast a pesky coyote that showed up on my trail cam

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Re: Coyote

Post by HARRIS »

HE'S JUST A WILD DOG ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

The scourge of quail populations in West Texas..
We travel to Rule Texas every year for the annual opening day of the north dove season on September the first., over the years we have had as many as 21 hunters of my sweet wife's clan present for the hunt. At the urging of my Father in Law we were encouraged to shoot any coyotes we came across. Because they were the quail's population worst enemy, as they would either rob the nest and eat the eggs or they would chase down the cheepers and eat them also.

In the early years we'd hunt quail during the winter months from November through February and I remember filing our daily bag limits on every hunt.
Not so these days as we're lucky to harvest one day's limit on a four-hour hunt. Most of those early days were walking hunts but now as we got older we take the four-wheeler out by trailer if we'd hunt other ground, but at his homestead it was all done on the 4 wheeler.
None of those hunts were possible if not for a few good bird dogs which my FinL had some of the best Brittany Spaniels around. Over the years he'd have at least two good dogs but as of this writing only one is in his kennel. The best of those dogs was Amos as he served both quail and dove retrieving.
Amos and my Father-in-Law Rule Texas circa 2007
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

There are too damn many of the things and the state of Nevada now wants to outlaw preditor hunting compititions.

:fubird: coyotes and the idiots that want to protect them.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

No luck this weekend but there's no closed season so I will get em sooner or later.
I have two of them showing up on my trail cam routinely, one smaller and one quite large. Next trip I'll snag some road kill for bait. This time around I wanted to see if they would just show up on location as they have been. I think it was just too noisy around camp for them to come in.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

Have fun every year. White camo, .223 4 power and patience. When the snow is over 3 ft I know exactly where they are at. Usually no bait, but I have baited now and then.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Yooper »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:19 am
No luck this weekend but there's no closed season so I will get em sooner or later.
I have two of them showing up on my trail cam routinely, one smaller and one quite large. Next trip I'll snag some road kill for bait. This time around I wanted to see if they would just show up on location as they have been. I think it was just too noisy around camp for them to come in.
One good way is to shoot a rabbit, cut it so a little blood is running and nail it to tree maybe 4 or 5 ft up. Don't make it real easy for them, that's about the right height. Go out just before dawn, and again right around dusk. Lot of fun, and you are doing the deer population a favor.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Yooper wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:50 pm
Tbeck wrote:
One good way is to shoot a rabbit, cut it so a little blood is running and nail it to tree maybe 4 or 5 ft up. Don't make it real easy for them, that's about the right height. Go out just before dawn, and again right around dusk. Lot of fun, and you are doing the deer population a favor.
And cats and small dogs...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Yooper »

Herb wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:04 pm
Yooper wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:50 pm
Tbeck wrote:
And cats and small dogs...
What do you mean?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Thanks for the advice Yoop I will try the bait on a tree.

We don't get a bunch of them around my camp, in fact this is extremely rare so I want to get them out before they start eating my fawn's.

Herb, my camp is in the Allegheny natl Forrest so any coyotes near my place aren't going to be attacking dog's or cat's. But I do get the point you were making. Coyote's will kill near anything they can get ahold of. It's mostly turkey and deer around my camp.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

We have lost 2 cats and friends and neighbors have lost cats and smaller dogs to coyotes.

Pets are much better off with less coyotes.

A friend of mine leased out grazing land on his property in East San Diego County. The cows were dropping calves and the coyotes were after the calves. We managed to kill 4 of the 5 and kept any of the cattle from being harmed.

The less coyotes, the better.

bassman
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by bassman »

Herb wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:32 pm
We have lost 2 cats and friends and neighbors have lost cats and smaller dogs to coyotes.

Pets are much better off with less coyotes.
he less coyotes, the better.
Sounds familar Herb. We also lost two good cats when they convinced me to let them out at night. A few years ago they were bad here getting chickens in town and got a few calves from what I hear. Hunting them has brought the population down and that helps.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

If you let your cats out overnight when there's coyotes around you can hardly blame the coyotes.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, I don't think anyone blames the coyotes for doing what comes natural to them, but if their numbers are cut down the wildlife and pets are better off.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Yooper »

Tbeck wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:52 pm
hillsy, I don't think anyone blames the coyotes for doing what comes natural to them, but if their numbers are cut down the wildlife and pets are better off.
Correct. Pretty hard to blame an animal for doing what they are good at. Surviving. Some mistaken folks think they are just little 35 pound dogs. Far from it.

All canines have a pack instinct to an extent, but nothing like coyotes or wolves which I'm very familiar with after living alongside them for 70 some yrs. You will NEVER turn a wolf or coyote pup into a pet. They just aren't wired that way. There is only one way to deal with them, and that's to keep their population down. Anyone wants to argue with these statements, I really don't give a shit.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Yooper wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:28 pm
Tbeck wrote:
Correct. Pretty hard to blame an animal for doing what they are good at. Surviving. Some mistaken folks think they are just little 35 pound dogs. Far from it.

All canines have a pack instinct to an extent, but nothing like coyotes or wolves which I'm very familiar with after living alongside them for 70 some yrs. You will NEVER turn a wolf or coyote pup into a pet. They just aren't wired that way. There is only one way to deal with them, and that's to keep their population down. Anyone wants to argue with these statements, I really don't give a shit.
+1 :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Yeah for sure - overpopulation of any hunting animal usually results in them finding other sources of food.

The point kinda was keep your cat inside at night. They are predatory as well and will attack native wildlife.