Windy Nine

Keep it civil
navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Windy Nine

Post by navigator »

Anybody ever ridden the Windy Nine in Athens OH?
I'm thinking about a road trip.
Looks like a lot of what I saw in W. VA

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Windy Nine

Post by MattSunn »

I had to look that up. Looks interesting.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Wow! I had to look it up as well and made an exciting discovery… I’ve been there! Back in the late 80’s I rode to that area to visit some friends, one of whom was a forestry student at Hocking College in Nelsonville. One day, at their behest, we went for a ride into Athens and I can tell you that was one magical day for me. The ride was amazing and Athens was a bustling beautiful college town. I’d do it again. I had no idea at the time those roads were a motorcyclist attraction known as the Windy Nine! Well worth it.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Do it! See previous post. ^^^
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Nav, some of the routes are fun rides with lot's of Twisties. Other's are just scenic routes that are worth the ride in fall. There's a number of websites for the Ohio bike roads, so it's best to look them up and ride the routes that sound interesting. There's a couple that link with Wva I've ridden. You won't regret riding them.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Well since no one is posting useful shit, I will.
We took a week and rode down to the Windy Nine. Rode most of the routes and had a blast. We met the woman behind the marketing and also the photographer for the brochure. He was going to ride along with us and asked if we minded being photographed, but he was headed on a different path than we had planned. they gave us each a patch and a sticker for the Windy Nine.
Most of the routes are very rural so plan your gas stops accordingly. Lots of twisties and sweepers with minimal traffic.
We found a few breweries along the way, and great caves in the Hocking Hills State Park. The rim of the world is fantastic, and we rode the Triple Nickle up to Zanesville. That route has many blind hills where you don't know which way it'll turn until you break over the top...makes you slow down a bit. Some areas are off camber which is also a bit disconcerting at speed. A lot of fun.
Rt 26 north out of Marietta to Woodsfield is a must do. We rode more roads than I can count...about 2000 miles roundabout trip from home.
Like Roadking sez....Do It!!!

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

navigator wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:26 am
Well since no one is posting useful shit, I will.
We took a week and rode down to the Windy Nine. Rode most of the routes and had a blast. We met the woman behind the marketing and also the photographer for the brochure. He was going to ride along with us and asked if we minded being photographed, but he was headed on a different path than we had planned. they gave us each a patch and a sticker for the Windy Nine.
Most of the routes are very rural so plan your gas stops accordingly. Lots of twisties and sweepers with minimal traffic.
We found a few breweries along the way, and great caves in the Hocking Hills State Park. The rim of the world is fantastic, and we rode the Triple Nickle up to Zanesville. That route has many blind hills where you don't know which way it'll turn until you break over the top...makes you slow down a bit. Some areas are off camber which is also a bit disconcerting at speed. A lot of fun.
Rt 26 north out of Marietta to Woodsfield is a must do. We rode more roads than I can count...about 2000 miles roundabout trip from home.
Like Roadking sez....Do It!!!
This area is beyond scenic. The overall feeling is pure magic, custom made for a motorcycle ride!

Got sumpin to say here. The very fact that Nav knows about this area, that he enquired here about it, then actually explored it all tell me that Nav has and lives a motorcycle soul. Take my words any way you wish.
Signifying nothing”