Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: What's the difference...

Post by Herb »

RoadKing wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:38 am
Herb wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:53 pm
The Guard for DC are federal (presidential) controlled.

The article lies about being denied the Guard. They refused the Guard the day before and didn't ask for it until after thing got bad. The guard is a reserve unit and unless they are pre-staged they cannot react on a moments notice.

On top of that it takes the President to authorize it and he was still at the rally when thing started to go downhill.

In my opinion Polosi planned for things to go sideways and knew how long it would take to get troops there.

BTW, T is wrong, AGAIN.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/veri ... 73af4f29e0

VERIFY: Who controls the National Guard and how are they deployed?
DC National Guard is uniquely controlled by the federal government, and there's a process to how they are deployed. Here's a breakdown.
Once again, I find you and sgt to be very knowledgeable and informative. Thank you.
Yeah, old T started out saying the governor has the right to call out The Guard in DC! You know he is shooting mindlessly from the hip and expects his inferior students to believe his tripe. THE GOVERNOR! What a joke. The post he said that is not too far back, not to be denied.
Because Trump had offered the Guard the day before I was pretty sure that T was wrong when I read that but I took the time to look it up.

There have been a lot of things that I was tempted to post but I took the time to verify it before posting and found out it was not correct. Every once in a while one slips by me though.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I try to keep it simple for the sake of my own stupid mind and this is how I see it…

Within the boundaries of Washington DC their are two separate entities of authority, the city and Federal centers. The mayor governs the city but there is no governor because statehood does not exist nor should it. Within the Federal centers the authority to activate The Guard lies ONLY with POTUS. Trump offered The Guard to Pelosi because the Capitol building is a Federal center and she refused. Why? I ask rhetorically because I think I know the answer.

Allow me to finish my thought by saying that even if DC achieved statehood, the idea that the governor could call The Guard at a Federal center is absurd and dangerous to even suggest. That is precisely why DC statehood should never happen.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

You better go do some additional reading if you think I was wrong. The DC guard is under the direction of the Secretary of the Army. The presidential authority was delegated to the secretary of defense and further delegated to the secretary of the Army, that's FACT. They were neither federalized (title10) nor title 32, although Barr justified the use for title 32 purposes. And yes the DC guard both army and AF get paid out of federal money.
How and why DC guard get used is a quagmire of do's and don't. To complicate matter's guardsmen from other state's were called up for capitol security which violated a whole slew of law's.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

PS Herb you have to follow the whole post. DF posted the jan 6 and 17. Guard from outside DC were brought in. Lot's of questions were being asked for justification for this action. Barr finally stated that they were justified by title 32 subsection f I believe, which is for training?
Trump did ask if security should be enhanced using the guard, but that was turned down. Unless you want to call Trump a liar?
Lastly many DC guard members were in FACT deployed for traffic and other duties on J6 at the capitol. They were redeploy for crowd control when thing's got out of hand.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

The guard can fall under title 10 or title 32 for any mission within CONUS but outside of CONUS it has to be title 10. The DC guard must have been under either title 32 or title 10 which, by the way, both come out of federal funds but the main difference is the chain of command, one being federal control the other being state control. The only other option for the guard is "state active duty" where benefits and pay are based on state law. Since DC is not a state I doubt this is the case.

When NG units from other states were brought in after Jan 6th they were under title 32, I know this because one of my former coworkers at the time was NJ guard and he was sent down. His unit was pissed because the benefits and retirement points for title 32 are somehow different than title 10.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Tbeck wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:21 pm
You better go do some additional reading if you think I was wrong. The DC guard is under the direction of the Secretary of the Army. The presidential authority was delegated to the secretary of defense and further delegated to the secretary of the Army, that's FACT. They were neither federalized (title10) nor title 32, although Barr justified the use for title 32 purposes. And yes the DC guard both army and AF get paid out of federal money.
How and why DC guard get used is a quagmire of do's and don't. To complicate matter's guardsmen from other state's were called up for capitol security which violated a whole slew of law's.
Using the guard from state to state is not a violation of law unless that state has specific laws about it. I don't know of any that do. I do know that many states have agreements with other states to provide troops when needed. Basically, lets say Georgia has a major hurricane that destroys most of the state, states like North and South Carolina would send troops to help so that the GA troops could be at home with their families or working jobs like EMS that they do as their full time career.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:16 pm
Tbeck wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:21 pm
Using the guard from state to state is not a violation of law unless that state has specific laws about it. I don't know of any that do. I do know that many states have agreements with other states to provide troops when needed. Basically, lets say Georgia has a major hurricane that destroys most of the state, states like North and South Carolina would send troops to help so that the GA troops could be at home with their families or working jobs like EMS that they do as their full time career.
Again T is flat out wrong. The secretary of the Army CANNOT order the Guard to NATIONAL duty without Presidential authority.

Considering that T claims to have been AF I would say his military education was really lacking.

Since I was not sure of exactly how the system works I went searching and looks like T still doesn't understand.

It is still unclear EXACTLY what authority was used to send state Guard units into DC.

The following article explains a lot but also leaves a lot unanswered.

It would be a good idea to read the whole article to better understand the full issue behind what went down.

I am including the portion that applies to the current discussion.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/why-were-ou ... xplanation

When on duty, state National Guard troops can wear three different “hats.” The first, and most common, is “State Active Duty” (SAD) status, in which they are exercising state functions at the request of the state government and are generally governed by state law. For example, when Minnesota Governor Tim Walz mobilized the Minnesota National Guard to help restore order in Minneapolis in the midst of the protests and violence arising from the murder of George Floyd, those troops were there in their SAD capacity. This first “hat” is often described as “Title 32” status (a reference to that part of the U.S. Code that deals with the National Guard), but that’s incorrect. “Title 32” status is actually the second “hat,” pursuant to which the state National Guard troops remain subject to state command and control but are used for federal missions authorized by Congress—and, perhaps most importantly, are usually paid for by the federal government.

Finally, the third hat, “Title 10” status, is when state National Guard units are “federalized” by the president of the United States pursuant to one of the specific statutory authorities for doing so. Once federalized, National Guard troops come under the full command and control of the Pentagon—specifically the secretary of defense. In essence, National Guard troops become part of the federal military until and unless they are returned to state status.

These distinctions matter for a number of reasons, including which government pays for the troops, which government can be held liable if something goes wrong, which military justice system applies to punish misconduct, and what the National Guard troops can be tasked to do. To take one especially significant example, it’s long been understood that the Posse Comitatus Act (which prohibits “us[ing] any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws”) does not apply to National Guard units in either SAD or Title 32 status, because they are not, at that point, part of the Army or the Air Force. By contrast, when National Guard troops are federalized, the Posse Comitatus Act does apply—and requires “express[]” statutory authorization before those troops can be used to “execute the laws.” To be sure, in situations in which both federal troops and unfederalized National Guard units are deployed, Congress in 2008 authorized the appointment of “dual status commanders” but only to streamline coordination—not to blur the separate chains of command.

The only exception to this structure is the D.C. National Guard. Although four of the six federal territories have National Guards (all but American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands), the National Guards for Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are commanded by the territorial governors. D.C.’s Guard, in contrast, is always at the command and control of the president of the United States—at least in part because the Guard predates the creation of the D.C. local government in the early 1970s. Thus, it took no special authority for the president to activate the D.C. National Guard in response to the disorder in Washington last week.

The D.C. National Guard, though, is quite small. Apparently, during the protests, the federal government decided that it needed to be augmented by out-of-state troops. One route would have been for Mayor Bowser herself to request assistance under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC), an interstate compact to which all 50 states and the District of Columbia are parties, and which Congress ratified in 1996. But that didn’t happen. So by what authority did the president utilize troops from other states’ National Guards for the same purpose? The (belated) answer, according to the attorney general, is 32 U.S.C. § 502(f). Here is the relevant text of that provision:

(f)(1) Under regulations to be prescribed by the Secretary of the Army or Secretary of the Air Force, as the case may be, a member of the National Guard may—

(A) without his consent, but with the pay and allowances provided by law; or

(B) with his consent, either with or without pay and allowances;

be ordered to perform training or other duty in addition to that prescribed under subsection (a) [N.B. § 502(a) speaks only to training].

(2) The training or duty ordered to be performed under paragraph (1) may include the following:

(A) Support of operations or missions undertaken by the member’s unit at the request of the President or Secretary of Defense.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

WE ARE LIVING UNDER THE THUMB OF POLITICIANS WHO BY EXECUTIVE ORDER, SIDE STEP CONGRESS TO DO WHATEVER THEY

FEEL LIKE AND WITHOUT ANY SERIOUS RESISTANCE, BECAUSE MOST DO NOT KNOW THE CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS.

AN IGNORANT POPULATION IS SOooo EASY TO CONTROL. IT DID NOT HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT ...
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

HARRIS wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:55 am
WE ARE LIVING UNDER THE THUMB OF POLITICIANS WHO BY EXECUTIVE ORDER, SIDE STEP CONGRESS TO DO WHATEVER THEY

FEEL LIKE AND WITHOUT ANY SERIOUS RESISTANCE, BECAUSE MOST DO NOT KNOW THE CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS.

AN IGNORANT POPULATION IS SOooo EASY TO CONTROL. IT DID NOT HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT ...
How come you have some lower case letters in that post HARRIS?

Stepped out of character for a bit??

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb you are FLAT out WRONG. The Secretary of the Army has been delegated the AUTHORITY to call up the DC guard. That's FACT!!!!

Instead of reading a blog, why don't you LOOK IT UP!
HERE let me help YOU BECOME INFORMED.
Type in a Google search "can the secretary of the Army call up the DC guard"

Then come back and tell me how CORRECT I am. :Cool:

God I hate addressing idiot's.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Tbeck wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:17 pm
This is GOLD!

Now you get what it's like addressing some of the shit YOU post.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:52 pm
Tbeck wrote:
This is GOLD!

Now you get what it's like addressing some of the shit YOU post.
Your timing couldn't have been better for you to show up - I'll pay you that.

:lmao:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:
Herb you are FLAT out WRONG. The Secretary of the Army has been delegated the AUTHORITY to call up the DC guard. That's FACT!!!!

Then come back dand tell me how CORRECT I am. :Cool:

Delegated by whom? A one time basis?
THE SECRETARY MAY ORDER THE GUARD MOBILIZED TO AID DC CIVIL AUTHORITIES, BUT SUBJECT ONLY TO THE DIRECTION OF THE PRESIDENT.
You left that part out? Look it up, idiot. Your Commie slanted blogs typically leave out pertinent info, Teach, as do you.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

RoadKing wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:25 pm
Tbeck wrote:

Then come back dand tell me how CORRECT I am. :Cool:

Delegated by whom? A one time basis?
THE SECRETARY MAY ORDER THE GUARD MOBILIZED TO AID DC CIVIL AUTHORITIES, BUT SUBJECT ONLY TO THE DIRECTION OF THE PRESIDENT.
You left that part out? Look it up, idiot. Your Commie slanted blogs typically leave out pertinent info, Teach, as do you.
Like I said, T's military education is sadly lacking. I guess the AF doesn't bother with that, EH?

T's understanding of the chain of command is so far off that it is unbelievable. BTW, The link I posted is actually more of a left leaning site but the basic explanation of the law is still correct.