Memorial Remembrance

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: Memorial Remembrance

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Navy SEAL Medal of Honor Hero Ed Byers
Edward Byers was the second Navy SEAL through the door of a house in eastern Afghanistan where the Taliban was holding an American doctor. The first got shot immediately. Then Byers rushed in. Wearing body armor and night-vision goggles, he shot and grappled with guards while calling out for the hostage. A voice replied from a few feet away: "I'm right here."
Byers threw himself on doctor to cover him from gunfire. With a free hand, Byers grabbed a nearby captor by the throat and pinned him to the wall until another member of the six-man SEAL team shot him.
"Anyone who's been in combat knows that in those moments, you either react or you get killed," Byers said recently, recalling the December 9, 2012 operation.
In the chaos, the doctor, aid worker Dilip Joseph, was rescued, and the SEAL team member ahead of him, 28-year-old Petty Officer 1st Class Nicolas Checque, died.
On Monday morning, Byers, a member SEAL Team 6, stepped from the shadows — the unit operates covertly, and its existence often goes unacknowledged by the military — to receive the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration, for his actions that day.
Byers, 36, is the sixth SEAL to receive the Medal of Honor, and the eleventh living service member to receive it for actions in Afghanistan.
But he doesn't consider himself a hero.
That distinction, he said, belongs to the men who fought alongside him, particularly Checque. "The award was truly his," Byers said after the ceremony. "He was an American hero. He died a warrior and he died to bring back another American. I believe our nation owes him a debt of gratitude."
The rescue operation began with the SEAL team hiking four hours over mountainous terrain to reach the compound in the Qarghah'i District of Laghman Province, Afghanistan were the Taliban were holding Joseph, according to the official military account.
Joseph wrote a book about the operation, "Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope and Rescue by SEAL Team 6, saying that until the SEALs arrived, he believed the Taliban would soon kill him.
Checque was the team's point man, according to military officials. As the SEALs approached the compound, a guard noticed them. Checque shot him. He and Byers rush to the door, which was covered by layers of blankets. Byers began ripping the blankets away, and Checque went inside. He was immediately shot in the head by AK-47 fire.
Byers followed. He shot a guard, then noticed another who seemed to be crawling for a gun. Byers jumped on him, and after confirming that it wasn't Joseph, and shot that guard, too.
He heard Joseph nearby, and jumped on him through the firefight, in which five Taliban were killed.
Byers, a medic from Toledo, Ohio, said that after leading Joseph out of the house, he joined others trying to resuscitate Checque, who was pronounced dead at a hospital.
More than three years later, Byers got a call from the White House asking if he had time to speak to the president about his Medal of Honor.
The award — in addition to a multitude of other decorations Byers has received, including two Purple Hearts — makes him proud to represent the Navy and the SEALs, he said.
"There's a weight that that carries with, and that weight is the sacrifice that everyone has made in this community," Byers said.
He added: "It's an affirmation of the job we do, an appreciation for the job we do."
Byers, a married father, has completed 11 overseas deployments with nine combat tours, said he has no plans to take it easy. He now holds the rank of senior chief special warfare operator.
"I'm going to continue being a SEAL and take whatever job or position is next for me," he said.
The Giant Killer book & page honors these war heroes the book details the incredible life of the smallest soldier, Green Beret Captain Richard Flaherty along with the harrowing stories from the men of the 101st Airborne in Vietnam. The Giant Killer FB page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. God Bless our Vets! Available now on Amazon & Walmart.
Story by Jon Schuppe
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

#MedalofHonorMonday: Today we honor Sergeant Anund Roark, who earned the #MedalofHonor on this day in 1968, during the Vietnam War.
On May 16, 1968, Sergeant Roark was the point squad leader on a mission to rescue 11 men in a besieged observation post. When they suddenly encountered heavy enemy fire, Roark quickly maneuvered his squad to a better position while repeatedly exposing himself to enemy fire and hurling grenades, all to cover the withdrawal of the outpost. The enemy then assaulted their position with small arms and volleys of grenades. One grenade landed amid Roark’s men, and he unhesitatingly threw himself on it to shield his comrades from the blast. This action cost him his life but saved his squad and led to the successful rescue of the outpost survivors.
https://mohmuseum.org/medal_of_honor/anund-roark/
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

February 19, 1945.
Less than a week after his 17th birthday, Marine PFC Jack Lucas and 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division land on Iwo Jima. The next day, two Japanese grenades fell into the trench he was sharing with three fellow Marines. He yelled “grenade!” and, pushing a fellow Marine out of the way, threw himself on one grenade and pulled the other one under his body. One of the grenades exploded, throwing Lucas into the air and perforating his body with over 200 bits of shrapnel, including six pieces in his brain and two in his heart. Miraculously, Lucas survived. A corpsman treated his wounds, and Lucas was evacuated to a hospital ship. 26 operations were required to remove some but not all of the shrapnel from his body. Lucas became the youngest recipient since the Civil War to receive the Medal of Honor for his bravery.
Lucas joined the Marines when he was only 14, when he heard the news about Pearl Harbor. “That very day a cold chill ran down my spine, and I just became obsessed that I had to do something. I finally took matters into my own hands and forged my mother’s consent papers after I completed the eighth grade," he recalled in an interview.
When the Marines discovered his true age, they reassigned Lucas to drive a truck. Undeterred, he snuck onto a Navy transport ship, USS Deuel, set for Iwo Jima, Japan. While on board, he turned himself in and volunteered to fight in order to not be cited as a deserter. He was reassigned as a rifleman with Charlie Company.
“I don’t feel like I’m some big hero or anything like that. The real heroes are the ones who had to give their all. Their life.” -Jack Lucas

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Remembering Army Captain Reginald B. Desiderio, a United States Army soldier and a Korean war hero during the Korean War. He posthumously received the Medal of Honor for his actions on November 27, 1950 during the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River.
Born on September 12, 1918 in Clairton, Pennsylvania. Reginald Desiderio joined the Army from Gilroy, California in March 1941. With an Officer Candidate School Commission, he served during the war in Southern France and Germany, earning a Silver Star and four Bronze Stars for his courage.
During the Korean War, he served with Company E, 2d Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, in action against enemy aggressor forces at Ipsok, Korea on November 27, 1950.
Capt. Desiderio's company was given the mission of defending the command post of a task force against an enemy breakthrough. After personal reconnaissance during darkness and under intense enemy fire, he placed his men in defensive positions to repel an attack. Early in the action he was wounded, but refused evacuation and despite enemy fire continued to move among his men checking their positions and making sure that each element was prepared to receive the next attack. Again, wounded, he continued to direct his men. by his inspiring leadership he encouraged them to hold their position. In the subsequent fighting when the fanatical enemy succeeded in penetrating the position, he personally charged them with carbine, rifle and grenades, inflicting many casualties until he himself was mortally wounded.
Capt. Desiderio's heroic leadership, courageous and loyal devotion to duty, and his complete disregard for personal safety reflect the highest honor on him and are in keeping with the esteemed traditions of the U.S. Army.
We are forever thankful to Capt. Reginald B. Desiderio for his exemplary service and ultimate sacrifice he made for his country. 🇺🇸 RIP Captain!🌹 You will never be forgotten. 🙏🙏
https://fallenyetnotforgotten.com

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

A little bit of a change up but still a USMC hero.

https://www.military.com/history/you-wi ... _220601.nl

You Will Never Be Chesty Puller, But Now You Can Live in His House

There will never be another Chesty. (National Archives)
Military.com | By Blake Stilwell
Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller was (and still is) the Marine whose career all Marines have since tried to emulate -- or at least live up to. He was the only Marine to receive five Navy Crosses, he fought in some of the Corps' most legendary battles and was a walking badass quote machine.

After serving in Haiti, Nicaragua, World War II and Korea, he retired to his home at 732 Gloucester Rd. in Saluda, Virginia. His legendary status was cemented by years of service, distinguished awards and the undying love of hundreds of thousands of Marines, many who were yet unborn.

Now you can own a little piece of Marine Corps history by purchasing Chesty's old house. It was listed on Realtor.com on May 23, 2022, for the (relatively) low, low price of $415,000.

(Chesty Puller House via Facebook)
The "Marine's Marine" was born in 1898 in nearby West Point, Virginia, less than 20 miles from his retirement home. He initially wanted to join the Army to fight in the Mexican border wars, but he was too young. By the time he was old enough, he was enrolled in the Virginia Military Institute. Too eager to get into the fighting of World War I, he dropped out and enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1918.

He never got to see the trenches of Europe, but he distinguished himself in Haiti and returned to the United States to begin his career as an officer. He deployed again to Nicaragua where he led countless successful raids and patrols. Puller was then assigned to China, served aboard ships in the Pacific Ocean and trained Marines stateside.

Then, the Japanese fleet attacked Pearl Harbor and the U.S. entered World War II. For many Marines with 23 years in service, it might have marked the end of a career, but Chesty Puller always wanted to "go where the guns are."

Already a highly decorated Marine, he began the war as commander of the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines at what is today Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Within six months of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Chesty was leading Marines into combat in Samoa.

Puller fought in some of the war's bloodiest island-hopping battles, including Guadalcanal and Peleliu. At Guadalcanal, he commanded Marines at the Battle for Henderson Field. A week later he was seriously wounded in his arms and legs. Since he required surgery, he was relieved of his command, but was back in the field just 10 days later.

The Korean War was no different for Puller. He landed with the 1st Marine Regiment at Incheon, receiving a Silver Star and his second Legion of Merit for his leadership under fire there. Even the Army awarded Puller the Distinguished Service Cross -- and this was all before the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

At Chosin, he said one of his most famous lines, one indicative of his personality: "We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Shortly after that immortal phrase, he pinned on the star of a brigadier general.

He returned to the U.S. in 1951, overseeing the training of Marines until a stroke ended his Marine Corps career in 1955. He retired to his Saluda, Virginia, home, 93 miles from Washington, with the rank of lieutenant general. He died in 1971, and is interred at the Christ Church Parish Cemetery in Saluda, still the most decorated Marine to serve in the Corps.

With a whole lot of effort and time, this still could not be you. But you'll need to buy the house to even come close. (U.S. Marine Corps)
In 2015, the last time the house went on sale, Marines gathered to try to purchase it as a nonprofit organization. They wanted to give Marines past and present a place to gather and feel the camaraderie of service. It ultimately went to a private buyer.

Today, very little has changed about the home since Chesty lived there, save for new stainless steel appliances. Its owners understood its history and kept it looking as it did when its famous occupant owned the home. Since 2015, it received a new roof, gutters and a refurbished crawl space.The hardwood floors have been refinished, and a new coat of gleaming white paint has been applied to the exterior.

If it was good for Chesty Puller, it's good enough for you.

List of decorations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Pu ... and_awards
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Sergeant First Class Christopher A. Celiz Medal of Honor Recipient
Celiz engaged with the enemy in Paktia Province, Afghanistan, on July 12th, 2018. As the leader of a special purpose unit comprised of partnered forces and members of the 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Celiz led an operation to clear an area of enemy forces and thereby disrupt future attacks against the government of Afghanistan and allied forces.
Citation Shortly after his team reached their final objectives, a large enemy force attacked, placed effective fire on him and his team, preventing them from maneuvering to counterattack. Realizing the danger the attack posed to his team and the operation, Celiz voluntarily exposed himself to intense enemy machine-gun and small-arms fire to retrieve and employ a heavy weapon system, thereby allowing U.S. and partnered forces to regain the initiative, maneuver to a secure location, and begin treatment of a critically wounded partnered force member.
As a medical evacuation helicopter arrived, it was immediately engaged by accurate and sustained enemy fire. Knowing how critical it was to quickly load the casualty, Celiz willingly exposed himself to heavy enemy fire to direct and lead the evacuation. As the casualty moved from a position of cover and out into intense enemy fire, Celiz made a conscious effort to ensure his body acted as a physical shield to his team carrying the casualty and the crew of the aircraft.
As the casualty was loaded and Celiz’s team returned to cover, he alone remained at the aircraft, returning a high volume of fire and constantly repositioning himself to act as a physical shield to the aircraft and its crew.
With his final reposition, Celiz placed himself directly between the cockpit and the enemy, ensuring the aircraft was able to depart. As the helicopter lifted off, Celiz was hit by enemy fire. Fully aware of his own injury but understanding the peril to the aircraft from the intense enemy machine gun fire, Celiz motioned to the aircraft to depart rather than remain behind to load him. His selfless actions saved the life of the evacuated partnered force member and almost certainly prevented further casualties among other members of his team and the aircrew.
Throughout the entire engagement, Celiz significantly changed the course of battle by repeatedly placing himself in extreme danger to protect his team, defeat the enemy, and it ultimately cost him his life. Celiz’s extraordinary heroism and selflessness above and beyond the call of duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Belated honors for Marines in fierce battle.
Ambushed and outmanned, a 30-member Marine platoon fought back and before the long day was over, almost half had earned major military medals for valor — perhaps a measure of just how fierce the 2008 Battle of Shewan was.
The Camp Pendleton force-reconnaissance platoon is finally getting public recognition for that battle on Aug. 8, 2008, when they stumbled into a nest of 250 seasoned Taliban fighters while trying to secure a village in southwestern Afghanistan.
In the end, the Marines routed the enemy without a single U.S. fatality. But possibly the bigger victory, according to observers, was showing the local residents that American forces could dig in and beat the Taliban, despite the distraction of the Iraq war.
It was a precursor to later hard-won battles in Afghanistan after major U.S. troop surges in 2009 and 2010.
"The situation in Afghanistan at that time was really pretty dire. The south of the country was as bad as you can imagine," said Jeffrey Dressler, a senior analyst at the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, D.C.
"It was one of the first tastes of what the Marines were going to bring to bear."
Capt. Byron Owen and his Marines were ordered to take Shewan, a Taliban stronghold astride a key transportation route.
Owen, now 30, was the commander of 2nd Platoon, a force-reconnaissance unit from Camp Pendleton working with the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment from Twentynine Palms.
The captain grew up in City Heights and then graduated from La Jolla High in 1998. An Eagle Scout, he always wanted to join the military but wasn't sure he was cut out for officer's bars until nearly the end of high school, said his father, James Owen. Beefing up his grades, he was admitted to the U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 2003.
Owen was leading a seasoned 30-man platoon that morning, with several gunnery sergeants and staff sergeants. They would need all that experience before the eight-hour battle ended.
"The battle of Shewan was the most intense fighting I have seen in four combat deployments. The enemy was some of the best I have ever seen," said Owen, interviewed by email from his current post in Afghanistan.
"Every shot they fired was well-aimed. At one point in the battle they pinned us down with machinegun fire and hit us with air-bursting mortars, after we took cover. I remember seeing them adjust the height of burst on us to be more effective and thinking, 'Who the hell are these guys?'"
Owen received a Silver Star on July 1 for his role in skillfully marshalling Marines once the shooting started. His platoon sergeant, Gunnery Sgt. Brian Blonder, had received the top medal for the battle, the Navy Cross, in May. It is the second-highest military award for bravery against an enemy.
A platoon sniper, Sgt. Franklin Simmons, was honored with a Silver Star for exposing himself to bullets while heading for high ground with his Mark 11 rifle. His got his medal on July 4.
In all, five Bronze Stars with V for valor and six Navy-Marine Corps Commendations with V were approved for Marines and Navy hospital corpsmen serving with the Camp Pendleton platoon.
The medals came nearly three years after the fact because of their sheer number for a one-day battle, a Marine personnel command official said.
It "required the development of a very detailed and in-depth analysis of the contributions of each member involved, to ensure that the proper actions were credited to the correct Marine or sailor," said spokeswoman Maj. Shawn Haney.
Also, military rules say that awards for the same event must move up the chain of command together. And the Navy Cross requires the signature of the Navy Secretary.
Owen, who recommended his men for the honors, said so many medals were appropriate because "a lot of Marines had to do some extraordinary things."
The battle could have easily gone the other way, he admits.
It was an abusively hot day. Temperatures of greater than 120 degrees extentually led to some Marines dropping with heatstroke.
In the morning, they trooped toward Shewan on foot and with Humvees. Just before noon, rocket-propelled grenades and machinegun fire began to hit.
What the Marines hadn't known was that high-level Taliban commanders were meeting in the village that day, and 100 well-trained fighters were also present. Once bullets were in the air, the commanders coordinated their troops and called in more forces.
But Owen had Gunnery Sgt. Blonder, a Florida native with 13 years in the field.
"We all hit the deck except for Blonder. Gunny just stands there like a gunslinger for the longest two or three seconds in my life, as the enemy is spraying machinegun fire everywhere. He takes aim as cool as can be and drops a guy with a single shot to the forehead from 100 yards," Owen said, recounting the first moments of the battle.
"He never hits the deck. I have never seen anything like it. He doesn't skip a beat and starts after the rest of the enemy. There was a guy aiming in with his (rocket-propelled grenade), and he put it down when he saw his buddy's head explode. That one shot changed the tempo of the battle."
As for Simmons, his platoon captain said the young sniper from Oregon, now 27, was an amazing clutch shot that day.
"He crawls up on a berm, totally exposing himself to enemy machinegun fire, and starts taking guys out left and right," Owen said. "The official Marine Corps count is 18 kills, two possible kills, with 21 shots in 20 minutes. Incredible."
The battle went on and on, with attacks and counter-attacks by the Marines. Strafing fire from Air Force F-15s helped relieve pressure at crucial moments.
As for Owen, the action summary with his Silver Star citation says the captain calmly directed the fire of the Marines, despite the chaos of being ambushed and outnumbered eight to one.
At one point, Owen needed to focus his gunners on the enemy's positions. But his radio was fried.
So, with bullets landing on his Humvee, Owen stood up and waved his arms overhead to catch a gunner's attention. Using hand and arm signals and his own tracer bullets, he successfully relayed the target positions.
More than that, however, according to the summary: "Capt. Owen's comprehensive precombat preparation and planning, rapid decision making and bold decisive leadership not only allowed the platoon to recover from a devastating ambush and turn the tide of battle, his decision to decisively defeat the Taliban and prevent them from claiming ... a victory undermined Taliban dominion and achieved a major victory."
That win, it concluded, was felt long afterward. The Taliban didn't attack the area for months.
Owen still remembers the period vividly, and the contributions of each of his men.
"People write books about guys like that," he said.
The Giant Killer FB page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. The Giant Killer book details the incredible life of the smallest soldier, Green Beret Captain Richard Flaherty along with the harrowing stories from the men of the 101st Airborne in Vietnam available on Amazon & Walmart. God Bless our Vets!
Story by Jeanette Steele

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

RIP...
What an Incredible Hero! Medal of Honor Recipient Sgt. Ashley Jr.
In 2012, Sergeant First Class Eugene Ashley Jr. was inducted into the Special Forces Regiment’s Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member. To be sure, the Vietnam War offered plenty of opportunities for moments of unfathomable bravery, and Ashley’s actions on that fateful night make up for just one story of valor.
Over 55 years ago, in a faraway Special Forces camp in southeast Asia, Sergeant First Class Eugene Ashley Jr achieved immortality during one of the fiercest battles of the Vietnam War.
Ashley joined the Army in 1950. When the Korean War broke out in 1953, Ashley deployed in Korea with the 187th Regimental Combat Team. Then, for a brief period, Ashley got out of the Army and was placed in the Inactive Reserves. A few months later, he reenlisted and was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division.
Up to that point, Ashley had trained in numerous military occupational specialties, including as an infantryman, ambulance driver, anti-aircraft ammunition handler, heavy weapons specialist, and parachute rigger; he had also held leadership positions at the squad and company level.
In 1966 he decided to make the jump to Special Forces and graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC) a year later. Upon completion of training, Ashley was assigned first to the 7th Special Forces Group and later to the 3rd Special Forces Group. In 1968, he deployed to the Republic of Vietnam with Charlie Company, 5th Special Forces Group.
Ashley’s arrival to Vietnam coincided with the Tet Offensive, which began in January 1968 and would last till September. During Tet, the NVA and Vietcong took US and South Vietnamese forces by surprise and attacked several large cities throughout South Vietnam, including the capital Saigon where they briefly penetrated the US Embassy.
Once in country, Ashley found his way to the large Marine Corps base at Khe Sanh, which was under siege by the North Vietnamese. Although the majority of the NVA and Vietcong attacks during the Tet Offensive were quickly dealt with, the siege of Khe Sanh continued for months. Carrying morbid similarities with the Siege of Dien Bien Phu, where the French were defeated by the Vietminh in 1954 and were forced out of Indochina, the fighting at Khe Sanh drew international attention.
Close to Khe Sanh was the Lang Vei Special Forces Camp, which was just a mile-and-a-half from the border with Laos. Green Berets stationed in Lang Vei were no foreigners to NVA attacks. Artillery and sniper fire was a pretty common occurrence even before the Tet Offensive. But what was coming next was not common at all.
On the night of February 6, the NVA launched a tank assault on the Special Forces base. Radioing Khe Sanh for assistance, the Marines there couldn’t believe that NVA armor was within the Lang Vei perimeter—this was the first time the NVA had used tanks in force.
During the initial hours of the battle, Ashley coordinated airstrikes and mortar and artillery fire in support of his fellow Green Berets in the camp. Then, seeing that reinforcements from Khe Sanh weren’t going to reach the overran camp in time, Ashley and other Green Berets took matters into their own hands.
Ashley hastily organized a relief force comprised of Special Forces operators and partner forces and led them to the nearby camp. In the ensuing hours, Ashley would lead five assaults against NVA tanks and heavy infantry. Time after time, Ashley led by example and destroyed numerous enemy positions. The fifth assault, however, would be his last.
Ashley’s Medal of Honor citation offers a glimpse of his actions on that fateful night.
“During his fifth and final assault, he adjusted airstrikes nearly on top of his assault element, forcing the enemy to withdraw and resulting in friendly control of the summit of the hill. While exposing himself to intense enemy fire, he was seriously wounded by machinegun fire but continued his mission without regard for his personal safety. After the fifth assault he lost consciousness and was carried from the summit by his comrades only to suffer a fatal wound when an enemy artillery round landed in his area. Sergeant Ashley displayed extraordinary heroism in risking his life in an attempt to save the lives of his entrapped comrades and commanding officer. His total disregard for his own personal safety while exposed to enemy observation and automatic weapons fire was an inspiration to all men committed to the assault. The resolute valor with which he led five gallant charges placed critical diversionary pressure on the attacking enemy and his valiant efforts carved a channel in the overpowering enemy forces and weapons positions through which the survivors of Camp Lang Vei eventually escaped to freedom. Sergeant Ashley’s conspicuous gallantry at the cost of his own life was in the highest traditions of the military service, and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.”
To be sure, the Vietnam War offered plenty of opportunities for moments of unfathomable bravery, and Ashley’s actions on that fateful night 53 years ago make up for just one story of valor.
In 2012, Sergeant First Class Eugene Ashley Jr. was inducted into the Special Forces Regiment’s Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member.
The Giant Killer FB page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. The Giant Killer book details the incredible life of the smallest soldier, Green Beret Captain Richard Flaherty along with the harrowing stories from the men of the 101st Airborne in Vietnam available on Amazon & Walmart. God Bless our Vets!
Story by Stavros Atlamazoglou

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Woody Williams has died. Last remaining Medal of Honor recipient from WW2. I’m sure an official link will soon follow.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

WWII uncovered: Once Called a One-Man Army... Now Honored with the Highest Decoration of the US Military
"You're a one man Army," said a beachhead General to Private First Class Alton W. Knappenberger, 20, Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, shown here cleaning his fondest possession, an automatic rifle. With it, he neutralized approximately 40 enemy combatants."
After the loss of his two comrades Private First Class Knappenberger fired 600 rounds of ammo returned for more- then stopped more Germans, including an officer and 7 men who ordered him to surrender during the Battle of Cisterna in Italy. Alton Knappenberger served in the 30th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division." (Source: US Army)
⭐Private First Class Knappenberger's official Medal of Honor Citation reads:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action involving actual conflict with the enemy, on February 1, 1944, near Cisterna di Littoria, Italy. When a heavy German counterattack was launched against his battalion, Pfc. Knappenberger crawled to an exposed knoll and went into position with his automatic rifle. An enemy machinegun 85 yards away opened fire, and bullets struck within 6 inches of him. Rising to a kneeling position, Pfc. Knappenberger opened fire on the hostile crew, knocked out the gun, eliminated 2 members of the crew, and wounded the third. While he fired at this hostile position, 2 Germans crawled to a point within 20 yards of the knoll and threw potato-mashers at him, but Private First Class Knappenberger stopped them both. Later, a second machinegun opened fire upon his exposed position from a distance of 100 yards, and this weapon also was silenced by his well-aimed shots. Shortly thereafter, an enemy 20mm. antiaircraft gun directed fire at him, and again Knappenberger returned fire to wound 1 member of the hostile crew. Under tank and artillery shellfire, with shells bursting within 15 yards of him, he held his position and fired at all enemy Infantrymen. When his ammunition supply became exhausted, he crawled 15 yards forward through steady machinegun fire, removed rifle clips from the belt of a casualty, returned to his position and resumed firing to repel an assaulting German platoon armed with automatic weapons. Finally, his ammunition supply being completely exhausted, he rejoined his men. Private First Class Knappenberger's intrepid action disrupted the enemy attack for over 2 hours.
Knappenberger was then promoted to Staff Sergeant. His Medal of Honor Ceremony was held on May 26, 1944.
Alton returned to Pennsylvania after the war. He owned a potato farm and later changed careers; working for a blacktop pavement company. Knappenberger was also an avid hunter. Alton passed on June 9, 2008 at the age of 84. Staff Sergeant Knappenberger lies in rest at Arlington National Cemetery. Lest We Forget.
#ww2uncovered #honorourveterans #MedalOfHonor #WorldWarII #WWII #worldwar2 #WWIIveteran #wwiihistory #GreatestGeneration #lestweforget
🎨Colorization sourced by Colourised PIECE of JAKE Used with permission of the artist.
©️WWII uncovered original description and photo sourced by US Army Center of Military History, Arlington National Cemetery, US Signal Corps Archives and Ancestry Database

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Few military members serve in two wars — let alone distinguish themselves in both the way Charles Loring did. A few years after graduating from Cheverus High School, in 1942, Loring enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force and received training as a fighter pilot. He would spend the next two years flying missions in both North America and, eventually, on the European front. By December 1944, he’d flown 55 combat missions.
On Dec. 24, 1944, Loring was shot down in Belgium, and spent the next six months as a Nazi prisoner of war. He was liberated three days before the war in Europe ended on May 8, 1945.
Loring’s actions that garnered him the Medal of Honor came seven years later when, after years training other pilots, he returned to combat duty in July 1952 as a jet fighter pilot during the Korean War. On Nov. 22 of that year, while leading a flight patrol near the 38th parallel, Loring spotted Chinese artillery that was pinning down American ground troops nearby.
The Chinese crews fired on Loring’s aircraft and damaged it, but rather than abort the mission, Loring turned off his radio and dive bombed the artillery, eliminating the threat. He died on impact, and his body was never found.
The Giant Killer book & page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. Available now on Amazon & Walmart. God Bless our Vets!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Brigadier General "Smoky" Joe Foss is shown wearing the highly prized Medal of Honor bestowed upon him by US President Franklin Roosevelt for outstanding gallantry against the Japanese in the Solomons. US Marine Corps.
Brig. Gen. Joe Foss joined the Marine Corps before America joined World War II and earned his aviator wings in March 1941. After Pearl Harbor, he was deployed to the Pacific Theater and spent three months defending America-occupied Guadalcanal. Foss was shot down while strafing Japanese ships in 1942. He later tied Air Force legend Eddie Rickenbacker’s record of 26 aerial kills.
Foss was awarded the Medal of Honor for his World War II exploits. After that war, he helped organize the American Football League and the South Dakota Air National Guard. He deployed to Korea with the Air National Guard and rose to the rank of Brigadier General before his death in 2003.
The Giant Killer book & page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. Available now on Amazon & Walmart. God Bless our Vets!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

God Bless this MOH Recipient!
William Badders was awarded the Navy Cross for "extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty" during the salvage of USS S-51 in 1926. He was designated a Master Diver and received commendations for his diving work in salvaging USS S-4 in 1928 and the Japanese steamship Kaku Maru in 1932.
Chief Machinist's Mate Badders was awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism during the rescue of survivors of USS Squalus (SS-192) and subsequent salvage of that submarine in 1939.
CITATION:
For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession as a Diver with the Submarine and Rescue Salvage Unit, U.S.S. Falcon, during the rescue and salvage operations following the sinking of the U.S.S. Squalus. During the rescue operations, Chief Machinist's Mate Badders, made the last extremely hazardous trip of the rescue chamber to attempt to rescue any possible survivors in the flooded after portion of the Squalus.
He was fully aware of the great danger involved in that if he and his assistant became incapacitated, there was no way in which either could be rescued. During the salvage operations, Chief Machinist's Mate Badders made important and difficult dives under the most hazardous conditions. His outstanding performance of duty contributed much to the success of the operations and characterizes conduct far above and beyond the ordinary call of duty. William Badders died on November 23, 1986.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

WWII uncovered: The Unstoppable Major William Gail White: Recipient of Nine Purple Heart Medals During WWII
While attending high school in Bakersfield, California, William White participated in the summer program of the Citizens Military Training Camp being recognized as an honor trainee each year. After graduation in 1929 William was designated as a member Ninth Corps Area CMTG Rifle team for competition in the National Rifle Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. White had also been recommended for a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Officers Reserve Corps but being under age for a commission he would have to serve two years in the Enlisted Reserve Corps before becoming eligible. White began San Jose State Teachers College in January, 1930 however he dropped out at the end of his first quarter. A week later he enlisted in the US Marine Corps. By June of 1930 William White reported for duty as a member of the Marine Detachment of the USS West Virginia.
After 11 years of service William left the Marine Corps and went to work for Shell Oil Company. In the late summer of 1941 White left his job and reenlisted only this time but the US Army. Private William White became part of the 32nd Infantry Regiment of the 7th Division which was stationed at Fort Ord, California.
"After several commissions and reassignments through the Army Replacement System, White was transferred to the 83rd Infantry Division where he was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 330th Infantry Regiment as Battalion Executive. After two days he was on his way to France with the foot elements of a Battalion HQ Company and a Rifle Company. When the Division was finally together again they were moved into the line to relieve the 101st Airborne Division at Carentan, Normandy, France, toward the later part of June, 1944."
From 4-7 July Executive Officer White dug in with the troops to face a German opposition. He would be wounded, several times, but he did not stop. During that four day period White was wounded on six separate occasions and was ultimately captured by the Germans. William White not only escaped but managed to take 14 other American prisoners with him. Resulting from his sixth injury to his arm - White spent time in various Army hospitals following a complicated surgery and rehabilitation. He was not done. William would earn the Silver Star for his efforts on 7 July.
On 10 December 1944 Major White would be awarded an Oak Leaf cluster to his Silver Star for his incredible Valor and leadership during combat in Strass, Germany. On this day White personally eliminated three enemy machine guns and their crews. He then destroyed two Mark IV tanks, two self-propelled guns, and captured 31 prisoners of war. During the battle, he was critically wounded. Once again though Major White would return to combat.
An injury at Elbe River in Germany would be the 9th and final Purple Heart award for Major William Gail White during World War II. Once again William was not done. During combat during the Korean War William White was wounded again. This would be his 10th and final Purple Heart acknowledgment. He retired from service with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Lieutenant Colonel William Gail White passed away on 6 April 1985 at the age of 74 years old. He lies in rest at Maplewood Cemetery in Kinston North Carolina. Lest We Forget.
#ww2uncovered #honorourveterans #WorldWarII #worldwar2 #worldwartwo #purpleheart #WWIIveteran #wwiihistory #greatestgeneration #ww2veteran #ww2 #rememberourveterans #ww2history #lestweforget #WWII
WWII uncovered©️ Original description and photo sourced by Military Biography of William White John White author, US Army Center of Military History and Find a Grave Database.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

June 29, 2022, 6:20 PM CDT / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Hershel W. “Woody” Williams, the last remaining Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, whose heroics under fire over several crucial hours at the Battle of Iwo Jima made him a legend in his native West Virginia, died Wednesday. He was 98.
Williams’ foundation announced on Twitter and Facebook that he died at the Veterans Affairs medical center bearing his name in Huntington.

“Today, America lost not just a valiant Marine and a Medal of Honor recipient, but an important link to our Nation’s fight against tyranny in the Second World War,” U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a statement. “I hope every American will pause to reflect on his service and that of an entire generation that sacrificed so much to defend the cause of freedom and democracy.”
As a young Marine corporal, Williams went ahead of his unit in February 1945 and eliminated a series of Japanese machine gun positions.
Hershel "Woody" Williams at the groundbreaking ceremony for the National Medal of Honor Museum in Arlington, Texas, on March 25.
Hershel "Woody" Williams at the groundbreaking ceremony for the National Medal of Honor Museum in Arlington, Texas, on March 25.Amanda McCoy / Star-Telegram via AP file
Later that year, at age 22, Williams received the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for military valor, from President Harry Truman at the White House.
“For me, receiving the Medal of Honor was actually the lifesaver because it forced me to talk about the experiences that I had, which was a therapy that I didn’t even know I was doing,” Williams said during a 2018 Boy Scouts recognition ceremony in Fairmont, according to the Times West Virginian.

Iwo Jima was where Marines planted the American flag on Mount Suribachi, a moment captured in one of the most iconic war photographs in history. Williams said he saw the flag from a distance after it went up as troops around him celebrated.
Williams’ actions in battle to clear the way for American tanks and infantry were detailed on the military’s Medal of Honor website: He was “quick to volunteer his services when our tanks were maneuvering vainly to open a lane for the infantry through the network of reinforced concrete pillboxes, buried mines, and black volcanic sands. Williams daringly went forward alone to attempt the reduction of devastating machinegun fire from the unyielding positions.”
Facing small-arms fire, Williams fought for four hours, repeatedly returning to prepare demolition charges and obtain flamethrowers.

“His unyielding determination and extraordinary heroism in the face of ruthless enemy resistance were directly instrumental in neutralizing one of the most fanatically defended Japanese strong points encountered by his regiment and aided vitally in enabling his company to reach its objective,” the website said.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

WW II uncovered
🇺🇲WWII uncovered: The Miracle at Saint Nazaire: Staff Sergeant Alan Magee
US Army Air Force Staff Sergeant Alan Magee, of Plainfield New Jersey, fell out of a B-17 Flying Fortress at 22,000 feet without a parachute and lived to tell about it.
Magee was a ball turret gunner in a B-17 named “Snap! Crackle! Pop!” after the three mascots for Rice Krispies cereal. That plane, along with others from the 360th Squadron, was sent to bomb German torpedo stores in St. Nazaire, France on Janurary 3, 1943.
During the mission, the plane was shot by anti-aircraft guns and became a ball of flames. Magee climbed into the fuselage to get his chute and bail out, but it had been shredded by the flak. As Magee was trying to figure out a new plan, a second flak burst tore through the aircraft and then a fighter blasted it with machine gun fire.
Magee was knocked unconscious and thrown from the aircraft. When he woke up, he was falling through the air. Alan fell into the town of St. Nazaire and through the glass roof of the train station. He was later found dangling on the steel girders that supported the ceiling.
The glass had slowed his fall and he regained consciousness as German soldiers took him to medical care. In addition to numerous internal injuries, Magee’s right leg and ankle were broken, he had 28 wounds from shrapnel and glass, and his right arm was nearly lost. It was a miracle that he survived the fall.
"I owe the German military doctor who treated me a debt of gratitude," Magee said. "He told me, 'we are enemies, but I am first a doctor and I will do my best to save your arm.'" (Smithsonian Magazine)
All this action took place on the 303rd Bomb Group's ninth bombing mission and fifth to St. Nazaire. It proved to be a costly mission. The group lost four aircraft to enemy air action, one carried Major C. C. Sheridan, the 427th Squadron Commander.
SSgt. Magee made a full recovery but spent the rest of the war as a POW. Alan was liberated in May of 1945 and received the Air Medal for meritorious conduct and the Purple Heart.
After the war he returned to New Jersey and obtained his pilot's license. Alan retired from a position with the airline industry in 1979.
In 1995, Magee was invited back to France as part of a ceremony sponsored by French citizens to thank Allied service members for their efforts in the war. Magee was able to see monuments to the crew of Snap! Crackle! Pop!, including the nose art which had been used as a German trophy until after the war when a French man recovered it. It was restored in 1989.
The following day the Magees visited the US Military Cemetery of St. James in Normandie, where Alan paid his respects at the graves of his crewmates: Lt. G. Wintersetter, T/Sgt. Dennis C. Hart, T/Sgt. A.M. Union, Sgt. M.L. Milam and S/Sgt. E.W. Durant.
During his visit to St. Nazaire, Alan visited the Hermitage Hotel, where he was treated by the German doctor and the railroad station with its glass roof that cushioned his fall 50 years before.
Sergeant Alan Magee passed away on December 20, 2003 at the age of 84. He lies in rest at the pioneer Memorial Park Cemetery in Grape Creek Texas. Lest We Forget.
#ww2uncovered #honorourveterans #WW2
#powmia #worldwar2 #WorldWarII #worldwartwo #WWII #greatestgeneration #ww2veteran #WWIIVet #lestweforget
©️WWII uncovered original text and photo sourced by: Smithsonian Magazine, US National Archives and Ancestry Database

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Army Specialist fourth class & Medal of Honor recipient Nicholas J. Cutinha.
This American hero was born in 1945 and joined the Army in 1967.
Cutinha was killed in Vietnam in 1968 and was a posthumous recipient of the Medal of Honor for bravery in a battle near a place called Gia Dinh.
From his Medal of Honor citation:
“When Sp4c Cutinha observed that his company was pinned down and disorganized, he moved to the front with complete disregard for his safety, firing his machine gun at the charging enemy. … As the hostile fire intensified and half the company was killed or wounded Sp4c Cutinha assumed command of all the survivors in the area and initiated a withdrawal.
“He killed several enemy soldiers but sustained another leg wound when his machine gun was destroyed by an incoming round. Undaunted, he crawled through a hail of enemy fire to an operable machine gun. …. Sp4c Cutinha maintained this position, refused assistance and provided defensive fire for his company until he fell mortally wounded.”
His Medal of Honor is displayed at American Legion Post 130 in LaBelle. From the Post 130 website: “Post 130 is the proud caretaker of Sp4c Nicholas Joseph Cutinha’s Medal of Honor. We are humbled and diligent in our duties on behalf of the Cutinha family. The Medal of Honor is publicly displayed in the Post Hall.”

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Colonel George Everette Day, U.S. Air Force Medal of Honor Recipient:
On August 26, 1967, Col. Day was forced to eject from his aircraft over North Vietnam when it was hit by ground fire. His right arm was broken in 3 places, and his left knee was badly sprained. He was immediately captured by hostile forces and taken to a prison camp where he was interrogated and severely tortured.
After causing the guards to relax their vigilance, Col. Day escaped into the jungle and began the trek toward South Vietnam. Despite injuries inflicted by fragments of a bomb or rocket, he continued southward surviving only on a few berries and uncooked frogs.
He successfully evaded enemy patrols and reached the Ben Hai River, where he encountered U.S. artillery barrages. With the aid of a bamboo log float, Col. Day swam across the river and entered the demilitarized zone. Due to delirium, he lost his sense of direction and wandered aimlessly for several days.
After several unsuccessful attempts to signal U.S. aircraft, he was ambushed and recaptured by the Viet Cong, sustaining gunshot wounds to his left hand and thigh. He was returned to the prison from which he had escaped and later was moved to Hanoi after giving his captors false information to questions put before him. Physically, Col. Day was totally debilitated and unable to perform even the simplest task for himself.
Despite his many injuries, he continued to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were still flying against the enemy.
Col. Day’s conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Armed Forces.
Explaining how he was able to withstand the years of torture, isolation, poor nutrition and lack of medical care, Colonel Day said,
“I am, and have been all my life, a loyal American. I have faith in my country, and am secure in the knowledge that my country is a good nation, responsible to the people of the United States and responsible to the world community of nations.
I believed in my wife and children and rested secure in the knowledge that they backed both me and my country. I believe in God and that he will guide me and my country in paths of honorable conduct. I believe in the Code of Conduct of the U.S. fighting man.
I believe the most important thing in my life was to return from North Vietnam with honor, not just to return. If I could not return with my honor, I did not care to return at all. I believe that in being loyal to my country that my country will be loyal to me. My support of our noble objectives will make the world a better place in which to live.”
—Colonel George Everette Day, United States Air Force, quoted by The Super Sabre Society.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Bobby Jones: World Champion Golfer Goes Ashore on D-Day +1 at the Age of 40 Years Old
"I don't want to be a hoopty-da officer of some camp," -Bobby Jones
According to Golf Digest: "Robert Tyre Jones Jr., 40, married, the father of two, 4-F, could have served his country during World War II from the home front. More widely known as Bobby Jones, he could have played golf, participating in exhibitions to raise money on behalf of the war effort. In May of 1942, he lobbied the Commanding Officer of his Army Reserve group to allow him to rejoin the service, while insisting that a ceremonial commission was unacceptable. A month later, the Army agreed to his request and he was commissioned a Captain in the Army Air Corps. In June 1942, he was assigned to the First Fighter Command at Mitchel Field on Long Island, New York."
By March 1943, he was promoted to Major, and later that year, he was assigned as a Military Intelligence Officer for the 84th Fighter Wing of the Ninth Air Force; he then deployed in England.
"Jones' unit was converted to infantry, and on June 7, 1944, D-Day Plus One, he went ashore at Normandy. For two days, he and his unit were under intense enemy fire. Jones would go on to serve with his unit on the front line and eventually partake in the interrogation of German POWs. He was discharged with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Bobby Jones wanted to serve his country - despite his age, he did just that. Jones' legendary golf career included wins at the U.S. Open in 1923, 1926, 1929 and 1930; the Open Championship in 1926, 1927 and 1930; the U.S. Amateur in 1924, 1925, 1927, 1928 and 1930; and the British Amateur in 1930.
After retiring from competitive golf, he founded the Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia, in 1933; in 1934, he co-founded the Masters Tournament.
Diagnosed with Syringomyelia in 1948, Bobby would be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. This did not stop him from being a champion for professional golf as an ambassador for The Masters. He embodied the spirit of the game and would go on to be posthumously inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974.
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Tyre Jones passed away on December 18, 1971 at the age of 69 years old. He lies in rest at Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta Georgia. Lest We Forget.
Disclaimer: WWII uncovered©️ is not associated with and does not endorse The Giant Killer book and/or Facebook page.
#ww2uncovered #HonorourVeterans #ww2 #WorldWarII #worldwar2 #WWIIveteran #greatestgeneration #DDay #ww2veteran #golf #BobbyJones #TheMasters #WWII #golflife #wwiihistory #usopen #progolf #lestweforget
WWII uncovered©️ original description and photos sourced by Golf Digest, Department of Defense, Find a Grave Database and PGA Tour Website. (Fair Use Photos)

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Medal of Honor Recipient Gino Joseph Merli

The son of a coal miner Gino J. Merli entered service in the US Army in July 1943. With his division, he went ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 and participated in the Battle of the Bulge in December of the same year.
On the evening of September 4, 1944, near Sars-la-Bruyère in Belgium (now a deelgemeente of Frameries), his company was attacked by a superior German force. Their position was overwhelmed, but PFC Merli stayed with his machine gun covering their retreat.
When his position was overrun, he feigned death while German soldiers prodded him with their bayonets, only to rise and confront the enemy when they withdrew. Twice he fooled German soldiers into believing he was no longer a threat, only to attack them again when they left him for dead. In the morning, a counterattack forced the Germans to ask for a truce. The negotiating party found Merli still at his gun.
For these actions, Merli was presented with the Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman at a White House ceremony on June 15, 1945, which included presentations to Marine recipients Everett P. Pope, Luther Skaggs Jr. and Carlton R. Rouh, for their heroism during actions in the Central Pacific theatre. In addition, Merli received two Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star, and the Humanitarian Award of the Chapel of Four Chaplains for his actions during World War II.
In civilian life, Merli took it upon himself to serve fellow veterans. He was an adjudication officer for the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Plains Township, Pennsylvania. He traveled to the Normandy beaches in 1984 in the company of Tom Brokaw and was a source of inspiration for Brokaw's book The Greatest Generation.
Medal of Honor citation
The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to
US Army's Pfc. Gino J. Merli was serving as a machine gunner in the vicinity of Sars la Bruyere, Belgium, on the nights of September 4th and 5th 1944, his company was attacked by a superior German force.
Its position was overrun and he was surrounded when our troops were driven back by overwhelming numbers and firepower. Disregarding the fury of the enemy fire concentrated on him he maintained his position, covering the withdrawal of our riflemen and breaking the force of the enemy pressure.
His assistant machine gunner was killed and the position captured; the other 8 members of the section were forced to surrender. Pfc. Merli slumped down beside the dead assistant gunner and feigned death.
No sooner had the enemy group withdrawn then he was up and firing in all directions. Once more his position was taken and the captors found two apparently lifeless bodies. Throughout the night Pfc. Merli stayed at his weapon.
By daybreak the enemy had suffered heavy losses, and as our troops launched an assault, asked for a truce. Our negotiating party, who accepted the German surrender, found Pfc. Merli still at his gun. On the battlefield lay 52 enemy dead, 19 of whom were directly in front of the gun. Pfc. Merli's gallantry and courage, and the losses and confusion that he caused the enemy, contributed materially to our victory.