DIFFERENT VIEWS ON ELECTRIC CARS

Keep it civil
Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: DIFFERENT VIEWS ON ELECTRIC CARS

Post by Herb »

We already know that EVs are dangerous and articles like this one point out the problem with weight on the highway.

What we seldome see discussed is the stopping distance. What I have been able to find is kind of scary. The reports are all over the place. I use Consummer reports for the best information possible and EVs take way longer to stop than a comparable gas vehicle.

We know that heavier vehicles take longer to stop and EVs are always heavier than comparable gas vehicles. How many crashes happen because of the braking distance???

https://www.deplorabledaily.com/electri ... m_content=
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

EV's Are A FARCE!! :space: All this talk about them being,.."The Answer"...to..."Save The World"...is all LIES.

Herb,...what you pointed out ,..and all the other Aspects we have seen posted herein...clearly delineate THE FACT that these PIECES OF SHIT create more problems,....and sometimes WORSE problems than they are touted to solve.

IT IS A SCAM. :space: Just as is the SCAM of human-caused Global Warming.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:27 am
EV's Are A FARCE!! :space: All this talk about them being,.."The Answer"...to..."Save The World"...is all LIES.

Herb,...what you pointed out ,..and all the other Aspects we have seen posted herein...clearly delineate THE FACT that these PIECES OF SHIT create more problems,....and sometimes WORSE problems than they are touted to solve.

IT IS A SCAM. :space: Just as is the SCAM of human-caused Global Warming.
It is all part of the same scam of domination of the public...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Really good idea, eh?

https://thelibertyminds.com/2023/07/07/ ... r-07-08-23

...A report published by the Business & Human Rights Resource Center (BHRRC) on Wednesday accused Chinese companies of more than a hundred human rights and environmental abuses at the mines where China produces much of the world’s supply of “green energy” minerals, such as lithium, cobalt, copper, and various rare earths.

“Our data shows human rights and environmental abuse is prevalent in the exploration, extraction and processing of [green energy] transition minerals,” said the report authors, who remained anonymous because they were concerned about retaliation.

The BHRCC report found violations at Chinese mines across Asia and Africa, with the highest concentrations of abuse found in Indonesia, Peru, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Myanmar, and Zimbabwe. The worst abuses were inflicted at copper and nickel mines, which are found in abundance in those countries....

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/home ... 5B-MD5-%5D

A woman in Florida learned the hard way that having an electric vehicle is not exactly the best, or even safest, choice to make, and now she is warning others to steer clear of EVs.

Nocatee, Florida, resident Jennifer Ruotolo decided to take an electric vehicle that was a dealer loner home with her when she brought her own car to the shop for service. But it proved to be the biggest mistake she could have made at the time.

Ruotolo said she put the Mercedes 2023 EQE350+ in her garage when she got home, but on the morning of July 19, the worst happened.

The Mercedes Benz EV suddenly caught fire and nearly took her entire house with it.

Ruotolo now says that she wishes she had never brought an EV home.

“It was parked in the garage, about 22 hours and then it caught fire,” Ruotolo told WJXT. “I was at work. About 8:30 and my husband heard a hiss and a pop, and he went into the garage full of smoke. It engulfed in flames and exploded.”

The woman added that the electric car was just sitting there and was not on a charger or anything when it went up in flames....

...“As a loaner vehicle, we expected it would function and be safe,” an exasperated Ruotolo said. “I could be biased, but I don’t think they’re ready for market. This is Mercedes brand. I can’t speak for all of them, but I would not recommend buying one anytime soon.”...

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

My God! :space: That poor woman! :space: :sad:

These sucking things ARE DANGEROUS HORRORS! :space: :fubird:

Add to this fire the MANY Ev fires that have happened,.....along with THE TWO...2...ships that have burnt that had evs in them.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

https://dailypoliticalnewswire.com/man- ... ern-times/

Man Forced to Get Rid of $115K Electric Truck During Family Road Trip: 'Biggest Scam of Modern Times'
Mike Vance August 11, 2023
A man from Canada has labeled electric vehicles as the "biggest scam of modern times" following his disappointing encounter with an electric truck.

Residing in the Winnipeg vicinity, Dalbir Bala purchased a Ford F150 Lightning EV in January at a price of $115,000, excluding taxes. Sharing his story with FOX Business, he mentioned that he required the truck for professional purposes. Additionally, he sought a vehicle fit for leisure pursuits like trips to his cabin or fishing expeditions. He also expressed his desire for a green vehicle, seeing it as a mark of "responsible citizenship these days."

Shortly after acquiring his EV, Bala confronted the practicalities of its ownership and usage. He was necessitated to set up two charging stations – one for his workplace and another at his residence – amounting to $10,000. Moreover, to facilitate this charger, he had to enhance his home’s electrical panel at a cost of $6,000.

In total, Bala's expenditure exceeded $130,000, not including tax.

A minor mishap soon after acquisition led to what Bala described as a need for "light assembly" on the front bumper. Upon taking the vehicle for repairs, it wasn't returned to him for half a year. Bala expressed that his attempts to communicate with Ford via email and calls went unanswered.

When Bala set out on a tumultuous 1,400-mile journey to Chicago, the drawbacks of his EV truck became glaringly evident.

Quick charging stations, which can only power EVs to a maximum of 90%, proved pricier than fuel for equivalent distances. During their inaugural halt in Fargo, North Dakota, charging his vehicle from a 10% to 90% capacity consumed two hours and drained $56 from his wallet. This charge powered the truck for an additional 215 miles.

During their next halt in Albertville, Minnesota, Bala found the complimentary charger to be non-operational, and the contact number on the station wasn't beneficial, he shared. The family then ventured to another station in Elk River, Minnesota, only to encounter another malfunctioning charger.

Bala expressed his disbelief online, stating, "This sheer helplessness was mind-boggling. My kids and wife were really worried and stressed at this point." They were in a predicament as there were no other quick chargers accessible from Elk River and their vehicle was left with a mere 12-mile range.

Auto Insurance Reduction - ObamaCar
"As the day progressed towards evening, we found ourselves stranded, famished, and deeply disappointed," Bala remarked.

In the end, Bala resorted to having his EV towed to an Elk River Ford dealership. They continued their journey to Chicago in a gasoline-powered rental car and retrieved their F150 during their return to Winnipeg.

In his commentary, Bala emphasized, "It was in [the] shop for 6 months. I can’t take it to my lake cabin. I cannot use it for secluded camping. I can't even trust it for a lengthy drive. Its utility is confined to urban drives – biggest scam of modern times."

Speaking to FOX Business, he stressed the government's role in "provide consumers with the right information."

"People must make informed decisions. I urge everyone to internalize my experience," he conveyed. "Thoroughly investigate before even considering an EV and then make a more informed selection."

He added, "The promised functionality falls dramatically short, barely meeting half the expectations. After the purchase, you're bound to it, bearing significant financial burdens if you wish to part ways. And assistance is scarcely found."

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Where else but in commie-fornia?

In Soviet California Electric Vehicle Charges Grid
BY STEPHEN GREEN AUGUST 10, 2023

You plug in your Tesla or other electric vehicle at night, and in the morning it’s fully charged, right? Maybe not, if troubled California energy giant PG&E gets its way.

Like me, you probably don’t own an electric vehicle, so imagine this instead. You go to the gas station to top off your tank for a long road trip. Unbeknownst to you, the gas station is actually a little low on gas because the manager forgot to call Shell HQ and order a tanker truck for a refill. When you stick the gas pump in the side of your car, the intelligent pump notices that you’ve actually got more than half a tank. So instead of pumping gas into your car, the gas station siphons a gallon out of it. Just to stabilize the station’s supply, don’t you know?
From each according to their tanks, I guess, to each according to their ability to take.

Terence West reported Wednesday for EnergyPortal that “PG&E, is exploring the potential of electric vehicles (EVs) to support the state’s fragile power grid.” What that means in practice is that CEO Patti Poppe wants a future where “EVs can feed excess power back to the grid during peak demand, helping to prevent blackouts.”

That electricity PG&E sold you yesterday? Yeah, they’re going to need some of that back because they didn’t produce enough today. Personally, I can’t help but think of PG&E’s proposal as “vampire charging.”

The concept, known as “vehicle-to-grid” charging, involves sending power from an EV’s battery back to the grid while the car is parked and plugged in. This technology is still in its early stages and faces significant costs, hindering widespread adoption. However, EVs could play a crucial role in ensuring grid stability during periods of high energy demand and solar power shortages.

In a way, PG&E’s plan does make a certain kind of sense. If you put Tesla solar panels on your roof, you also had a couple of those giant Powerwall battery backups put in, too — just enough juice to get you through a cloudy day or three. Poppe imagines PG&E as the solar panels and your car as the Powerwall she can tap during an emergency.

But there are problems, starting with the fact that pretty much every warm day in California risks tipping over into an “emergency.” The fact is that PG&E, ostensibly in the business of producing and selling energy, doesn’t produce enough to meet California’s existing needs and hasn’t for years.
Then there’s the matter of cost. “To encourage drivers to participate in bidirectional charging,” West conceded in his report, “utilities may need to offer incentives such as monetary compensation for the kilowatt hours contributed.”

You don’t say.

I’ve written many nasty things about left-winger Californians over the years, but I’ve never accused them of being so stupid that they’d willingly pay for the same electricity twice.

Electric vehicle owners sucked into PG&E’s vampire program would also have the lifespan of their EV batteries reduced. Those extra discharges/recharges add up and degrade the battery’s ability to store power.

Government Motors already has a pilot program in place to test the vampire tech, and Poppe wants them to expand it, pronto, to include all new GM vehicles.

Installing the vampire tech costs is “estimated at $3,700 per vehicle,” reports the Alliance for Automotive Innovation. Who’s going to pay for that? Consumers, if state Sen. Nancy Skinner’s bill becomes law, mandating that “two-way charging” be pre-installed in new electric vehicles starting in 2030. But let’s be clear about something: charging only goes one way. EV owners pay money to charge their cars, and then PG&E taps owners’ batteries to meet PG&E’s immediate needs. Maybe they’ll refund some of consumers’ money for the privilege.

I’d also add that two-way charging is going to boost the price of that near-mythical $26,000 electric vehicle to nearly $30,000.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Just try to find an EV that costs less than $30,000, before tax.

MSRP + dealer prep + etc + etc + whatever extra charge thay can come up with and the $26,000 MSRP is over $35,000.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Herb wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:33 am
Just try to find an EV that costs less than $30,000, before tax.

MSRP + dealer prep + etc + etc + whatever extra charge thay can come up with and the $26,000 MSRP is over $35,000.
Cheapest one over here at the moment is the BYD @ $38K AUD - but there is a $6K rebate in all states and most have free / reduced registration for 2 years.

So, $32K AUD which is roughly $20.5K USD.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

:funnylast: All this about low-pricing means NOTHING,.... because THE TRUTH about them overwhelms all that;

Homeowner Says Do Not Buy EVs After Mercedes EV Loaner Burns to a Crisp Taking Her Home with It
By Warner Todd Huston, August 3, 2023

A woman in Florida learned the hard way that having an electric vehicle is not exactly the best, or even safest, choice to make, and now she is warning others to steer clear of EVs.
Nocatee, Florida, resident Jennifer Ruotolo decided to take an electric vehicle that was a dealer loner home with her when she brought her own car to the shop for service. But it proved to be the biggest mistake she could have made at the time.
Ruotolo said she put the Mercedes 2023 EQE350+ in her garage when she got home, but on the morning of July 19, the worst happened.

The Mercedes Benz EV suddenly caught fire and nearly took her entire house with it.
Ruotolo now says that she wishes she had never brought an EV home.

“It was parked in the garage, about 22 hours and then it caught fire,” Ruotolo told WJXT. “I was at work. About 8:30 and my husband heard a hiss and a pop, and he went into the garage full of smoke. It engulfed in flames and exploded.”

The woman added that the electric car was just sitting there and was not on a charger or anything when it went up in flames.

Firefighters all across the nation are warning EV owners to keep a very strict eye on their new cars because EV fires are extremely difficult to put out and burn hotter than gas car fires. :space: The firefighter went on to say that a gas-powered car typically takes less than 1,000 gallons of water to douse, but EVs are a bigger problem. When an electric vehicle catches on fire, firemen are faced with a “thermal runaway,” he said. These fires take 3,000 gallons — maybe more — to douse them, experts say.

EV fires are breaking out all across the country, too. In May, KSAZ-TV reported that a self-driving electric car burst into flames inside a building located in Phoenix, Arizona, causing thousands in damage.

Earlier in February, and also in Arizona, Scottsdale authorities reported that a Tesla that crashed into a building nearly burnt the place down when the battery pack caught fire. The biggest problem for firefighters in this case is that the battery fueled a second fire after they thought they had already put it out.

The month before that, a Tesla caught fire sitting in its owner’s garage in the dead of night only a few days after Christmas. The Tesla fire destroyed the EV, the garage, and another car in that garage, and it damaged the home, too.

Another Tesla fire was sparked on Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania when the EV burst into flames on the side of the road in November of last year.

Firefighters were met with the same problem as the Arizona firemen noted above when the huge battery in the car kept reigniting the fire over and over again after firefighters thought they had doused it.

It isn’t just cars, either. As the Wall Street Journal recently noted, electric scooters and e-bikes are also prone to these unexpected and destructive fires.

To name but a few

This is an issue that few EV owners are warned about, but it is one that is cropping up over and over again. It’s just another reason not to buy these EVs and proof that they just aren’t ready for mass use.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

WHAT ELSE TO EXPECT FROM CHINESE BATTERIES ...
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Even MORE about the TOTAL SHIT these sucking evs are;

I Rented A Tesla For A Week And Am Totally Sold On Gas Powered Cars
BY: STELLA MORABITO AUGUST 21, 2023

After test-driving one for an entire week, we learned we will never buy a Tesla or any electric vehicle as long as we have the option of gas-powered cars or even hybrids.

While planning a week-long trip to the Seattle area recently, I wondered aloud to my husband if we should rent a Tesla. Neither of us had ever driven an electric vehicle before. The price difference between the long-range Tesla Model 3 and a standard mid-size gas-fueled vehicle was pretty negligible.

We agreed it would be an interesting learning experience despite our objections to the eco-agenda to phase out gas-powered vehicles. We also don’t believe EVs are particularly environmentally friendly since they need batteries that require the strip-mining of rare earth minerals such as lithium and cobalt. The World Economic Forum knows this very well and is likely looking for heavy limits on EV mobility after eliminating gas-powered vehicles.

But more people like us are also finding some very practical reasons to object to Teslas. There’s a glut of them on the market now despite subsidies and price reductions. After test-driving one for an entire week (instead of just 30 minutes,) we learned we will never buy a Tesla or any EV as long as we have the option of gas-powered vehicles or even hybrids. Read on for seven big reasons why. (Yes, “mileage may vary.”)
1. Battery Drainage Is Stress-Inducing
In the Tesla, stress is a given. The battery drains faster than you might think. Our Model 3 had an advertised range of about 300 miles, but that’s if you charge it to 100 percent (which no one does) and run it to 0 percent (which no one does). So the practical range is about 150-200 miles. We felt compelled to recharge after going just 150 miles versus refueling after about 450 miles in our Honda Accord. The battery even drained 10 percent just sitting in the driveway for about a day. Granted, we covered some distances in Washington state during our travels. But that confirms EVs are a poor choice for road trips unless you enjoy the risk of being stranded.

2. Few Charging Station Locations and Length of Time There
Yes, there are now more than 1,500 “supercharger” stations across the U.S. Regular chargers can be found at hotels, where guests at least have a room to stay in while charging for three to six hours. We plugged into a Tesla charger at a hotel for nearly three hours to get the battery up to 85 percent from about 30. Compare that with about 150,000 gas stations where we could fill up in less than five minutes and be on our way, ready for the next 500 miles. Even at a supercharger, we had to wait about 30 minutes to up the battery charge by 50 percent. And it’s all a matter of luck if there are amenities close by, especially if you need a charge when it’s late at night.

3. Personal Safety at Charging Locations Can Feel Dicey
It’s a good idea to plan the times at which you charge your vehicle. We had to stop on a Sunday evening at a supercharger located in an Ikea parking lot. Ikea was closed, and there were no walkable amenities around it. Ditto for our visit to another Tesla supercharger located across from a pawn shop. I got the uneasy feeling that many of these unsupervised locations — and the length of time required to be there — were crime scenes waiting to happen. Sure you can stop charging and be on your way. But on your way to where? To another supercharger.

4. Texting While Driving Is Required
Texting while driving is considered dangerous and mostly illegal. How ironic that in a Tesla, you are dependent upon the touch screen that sits between the driver and passenger seat like a big laptop. The interface is not intuitive, and autopilot is too new and unpredictable to use safely.
Luckily for us, there was always a passenger available to cope with the screen. We had to be in motion in order to check for a charging station nearby. There’s nothing intuitive about the air conditioning. Ditto for the radio, which we could only “turn off” by reducing the volume. The windshield wipers are supposed to be automatic, but when it started raining, we realized they were “turned off.” After fishing around the screen, we finally pulled over to consult YouTube to get them working again.

5. No Convenient Manual to Consult While Renting
Our Tesla rental was proudly “paperless.” It would have been worthwhile to have a hard copy manual on hand that didn’t put us at the mercy of a satellite signal. Hertz at the Seattle airport could provide no support in answering our questions about the vehicle. When I was able to flag employees down (twice), they were unable to help. We hoped to get a clue from a manual in the glove compartment, but what glove compartment? The employee at the checkout kiosk explained that the glove compartment was permanently locked shut. There’s no spare tire either, by the way.

6. How to Lock the Car?
This was not clear, not even with the Hertz tutorials on renting a Tesla. The key card operates like a hotel-room “smart” key, but (per YouTube) we discovered we needed to find the “sweet spot” by the window on the driver’s side, apparently the only place to lock the car. There are ways to lock from the inside as well, but it all depends on your tech-savviness, and willingness to risk locking yourself in, I suppose.

7. Don’t Expect the Cost of a Battery Charge to Always Be Lower than Gasoline
There are so many variables in fuel/charging costs, it’s hard to know if you’re getting a deal. When we tapped the “lightning bolt” image on the Tesla’s touch screen, we got a list of superchargers in the region as well as the cost per kilowatt hour, which varied from about 18 cents to about 50 cents. Our cheapest total charge was around $7 and ranged up to $25. We generally didn’t put more than a 50 percent charge into the car at any one time, and given the miles driven, the $25 charge was about the same as we would have paid for gas. Since there are government subsidies both for purchasing an EV and for charging, I would expect those prices to rise if everyone gets with the program and demand is up.

But pigs will fly before I buy an EV based on my Tesla experience/experiment. This conclusion is not based on a one-hour test drive but on an entire week of driving in an EV-friendly part of the country.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

DO THEY MAKE A" VIAGRA "FOR TESLA'S TO GET FULLY UP ?
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

:funnylast: :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Do people dare drive them in the rain???

https://www.desantisdaily.com/florida-i ... m_content=

...Florida Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis warned EV owners and anyone with large lithium-ion battery-powered devices in areas that could be hit by the storm surge to move them to higher ground.

“We saw a number of fires associated with EVs from Hurricane Ian,” Patronis said. “We know that the saltwater from storm surge can compromise these batteries, causing fires which cannot be easily suppressed. The best fire teams can do is keep water on the battery until the fuel burns out. If you’re evacuating and leaving an EV, or other lithium ion powered devices like scooters or golf carts in your garage, you’re creating a real fire threat for your home, your communities, and first responders.”...

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Some very real concerns...

Questions that I don't see ask or answered:
How long will an EV battery burn if left alone?
What are and how dangerous are the gases put out by an EV battery fire?

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/flor ... 5B-MD5-%5D

...“Subsequently, I was informed by the fire department that the vehicle, once again reignited when it was loaded onto the tow truck. Based on my conversations with area firefighters, this is not an isolated incident. As you can appreciate, I am very concerned that we may have a ticking time bomb on our hands.”

Patronis asked five questions, paraphrased below:

Has the NHTSA instructed manufacturers of electric vehicles to inform customers about the particular dangers flooding pose to lithium batteries?
Does standard firefighter gear protect against gases from EV fires?
Should removing EVs from a hurricane zone be a designated duty in storm cleanup efforts?
Does the NHTSA have information about specific timelines for the danger from post-flooding fires in EVs?
Does the NHTSA have any guidance on locations where compromised electric vehicles can be taken where they can burn out safely?
In an email to The Western Journal on later that week, the NHTSA said it had been studying the impact of saltwater corrosion on electric vehicles for a decade — since Superstorm Sandy in October 2012.

“Fires in electric vehicles can pose unique challenges for firefighters and other first responders,” the email stated. “Since similar issues emerged with EVs after Superstorm Sandy, NHTSA has been researching the effect of saltwater immersion on batteries, and working with stakeholders to equip first responders with best practices on fighting battery fires.”

In 2021, the NHTSA launched a Battery Safety Initiative. According to the website CNET, the goal is to “research areas such as battery diagnostics, management systems and even cybersecurity to ensure future cars with batteries onboard to power the entire vehicle are as safe as can be.”

Considering that electric vehicles in large numbers are a fairly new development, it’s likely that the country even a year later just doesn’t have enough experience yet to fully know some of those answers to all of Patronis’ questions....

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Add this you post Herb,....to the MANY others aspects that are NEGATIVE safety concerns,...and VERY friendly these sucking things are Environmentally.

BAN THEM.............before the PERVASIVE problems they have become SO bad.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

For damn sure if they can't figure out a way to make them safer.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Well Herb,...they'll try to,...but anything they do will only create yet ANOTHER problem with these sucking bullshit things.

Here's a Article about the JOKE of a trip this..."administration"...tried to do to "showcase" these sucking CRAP vehicles.
And it showcased them EXACTLY for the SHIT not only the EV's are,......but also the SHIT these caravan drivers are.
:space: Notice?.....they knew it too,...because they had a GASOLINE powered vehicle in the caravan as a Back Up;

Family Calls Police on Energy Department Staffer as Jennifer Granholms EV Caravan Bogarts Charging Station During 4 Day Road Trip
By Cristina Laila Sep. 10, 2023

Feel good story of the day.
Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm and some of her staffers set out on a 4-day electric vehicle road trip through the Southeast this summer.
They traveled from North Carolina to Tennessee to tout the Biden Regime’s commitment to funding electric vehicles that virtually no one wants (or can afford).

According to a reporter embedded in the Energy Department’s EV caravan, the entourage had trouble charging the vehicles.
The best part of the road trip? A family called the police on an Energy Department staffer who was so desperate to reserve a charging plug for Jennifer Granholm’s EV that he blocked the charging station with a gas-powered vehicle.

There was trouble in EV paradise as the caravan of electric vehicles began to run out of charge as they passed through a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.
Energy Department staffers pulled over to charge their fleet when they realized there weren’t enough available fast-charging plugs to juice up their vehicles. One of the four chargers was broken and the other plugs were in use.

An Energy Department staffer was so desperate to reserve one of the fast-charging plugs for Granholm’s approaching EV that he boxed in a poor family – with a baby in the car – on a sweltering hot day – with his gas-powered vehicle.
The family was so angry that they called the police on Granholm’s staffer.

Excerpt from NPR:
But between stops, Granholm’s entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present. Like when her caravan of EVs — including a luxury Cadillac Lyriq, a hefty Ford F-150 and an affordable Bolt electric utility vehicle — was planning to fast-charge in Grovetown, a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.

Her advance team realized there weren’t going to be enough plugs to go around. One of the station’s four chargers was broken, and others were occupied. So an Energy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy.

That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?
In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved: They called the police.

The sheriff’s office couldn’t do anything. It’s not illegal for a non-EV to claim a charging spot in Georgia. Energy Department staff scrambled to smooth over the situation, including sending other vehicles to slower chargers, until both the frustrated family and the secretary had room to charge.