hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: DIFFERENT VIEWS ON ELECTRIC CARS

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 am
hillsy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 pm
Haha - it's going to be funny to see the look on your faces in 20 years time when all you old curmudgeons get driven to your doctors appointments in an EV...

:lmao:
I will go electric when Air Force One is electric. :rag:
Nice one - but you won't have a choice.... :dunno:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

:funnylast: Still deluding himself believing the overly zealous "predictions" !

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:44 pm
Nope - in 2040 when you need to be driven to your doctor to re-assess your incontinence it will be in an EV.

If you're still alive then.

And if you're not already in a nursing home.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:11 pm
Designer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:44 pm
Nope - in 2040 when you need to be driven to your doctor to re-assess your incontinence it will be in an EV.
If you're still alive then. And if you're not already in a nursing home.
Yeah! And the future of Air Travel is the SST!...And, the Segway will revolutionize human movement!....And by 2000 we will all have Flying Cars!

That is what "They" said and committed to! And "they" are always right!

:lmao:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Meh - I can't help it if you're just ignorant of what is happening right before your very eyes.... :dunno:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Ok???
In keeping with the topic "Different views on electric cars(and or trains planes and ambulances)
How many remember when Diesel was about 1/3rd the price of gasoline and with the exception of a few European cars the primary use was for commercial vehicle's. Low cost fuel that was used to transport goods across America
Then in 1979 Oldsmobile introduced 350 cubic inch Diesel V8 (based on the gas 350) an Oil and fuel leaking under powered monstrosity that would give every owner fits when the fuel pump crapped out unless it granaded first and was cheaper to replace the diesel engine with gas. And the American diesel powered car didnt really take off like the European vehicles.
GM truck, Ford and Chrysler Truck division's took a different approach because they went to the professionals for their truck engines.
Ford went to International Harvester, GM went to Detroit Diesel (which it then owned), and Dodge went to Cummins. And people bought them. and the price of diesel went up to about 7/10s the price of gasoline. The higher prices where off set at the grocery store because it cost more to transport. And were still feeling it
Another alternative fuel that had a short run was propane. Clean burning natural gas that turned to water when it burned , I was told you could breath the exhaust it was so clean but I never tried it, Plagued with tuning problems every time the weather changed and one backfire would destroy the intake diaphragm and leave you stranded. And the terror when you stepped on the pedal and it slowed down because you where running out of fuel and would need to be towed because no one delivered propane.
The thing is propane costs went up and if you barbecued with propane you felt that crunch. Using propane as a vehicle fuel source didnt take off and the price for propane went down.

My point is If we use electric power to charge the battery's in our electric vehicles the price for electricity is going to climb
The closest thing we can get at this time is the Hybrid and they have there own set of draw backs.

If some one built a car that ran on water we couldnt afford to drink it

HARRIS
Bike in shop for repair
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

THE GOVERNMENT IS ALWAYS TRYING TO FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN ...

ONLY TO MAKE IT WORSE THEN IT WAS
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

FallenAngel wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 pm
Ok???
In keeping with the topic "Different views on electric cars(and or trains planes and ambulances)

If some one build a car that ran on water we couldn't afford to drink it

There I fixed it for you

The best analysis by far so far.......... :ShitGrinandThumb: :cheers: :bow: :bow: :bow:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: RT SM6 + XL1200C

Post by -DC- »

I just wish hydrogen was cheap enough to produce and distribute safely… Maybe one day….
Being a grandpa is the bees knees.... :putput:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Taking a Que from Suzuki Johnny,.....Here, I fixed for you;
hillsy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:11 pm
Meh - I can't help it if I'm Sofa King Ignorant that I disregard the Facts/Evidences/History you and alot of others here have shown me.... :dunno:
:Cool:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:27 am
FallenAngel wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 pm
Ok???

If some one build a car that ran on water we couldn't afford to drink it

There I fixed it for you

The best analysis by far so far.......... :ShitGrinandThumb: :cheers: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Thank you Johnny
But.....
If some one build a car that ran on water we couldn't afford to drink it???
Does not sound correct
Or did you mean
If some one builded a car that ran on water we couldn't afford to drink it??
Or
If some one could build a car that ran on water we couldn't afford to drink it
Sounds better
I noticed the Typo earlier but had to go so I fixed it now

Honestly its just 2 crazy with business's
If I pay 5 cents for a chocolate bar and you want it you may pay 1.00 for it
But if you needed it I could charge what ever I want because you need it
Even though it only cost me a nickel
-DC-
Hydrogen would be cool and when the vehicle explodes in a giant fire ball we could call it the "Hindenburg effect" or I was out for a putt and my bike and then it Hindenburged
OK Maybe in poor taste

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

A great notion... Or a great BOONDOGGLE???

BTW, the government didn't pay for even one gas station to be installed.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... tent=daily

CA Agency May Scrap Electric Bus Fleet After Electric Buses Melt in California Sun, Catch Fire, Cost Too Much to Fix
By Cristina Laila
Published July 23, 2021 at 12:00pm

The electric bus idea is going down in flames – literally.

A California transit official said electric buses manufactured by Proterra are melting in the California heat.

One electric bus caught fire while it was charging and the agency said the electric buses are just too expensive to fix.

The Washington Free Beacon reported:

An electric bus manufactured by Proterra caught fire while charging in a southern California city that is now considering taking the electric buses off the road, according to government records.

The Foothill Transit agency, which serves the valleys surrounding Los Angeles, will decide on Friday whether costly Proterra buses purchased in the last decade are still operable. Problems cited by the agency include not only the bus that caught fire in what’s described as a “thermal event,” but also buses that melt in the California heat and have transmission failures. Roland Cordero, the agency’s director of maintenance and vehicle technology, says the problems with the buses are exacerbated by Proterra’s inability to help with repairs.

“With the number of failures we are experiencing and the inability of Proterra to provide parts, these [Battery Electric Buses] BEBs will only get worse as we continue to operate them whenever the BEBs are available for service,” Cordero wrote ahead of Friday’s executive board meeting, where the agency will debate taking Proterra buses out of service.

Meanwhile Biden’s gargantuan ‘infrastructure’ plan allocates billions of dollars to expand electric vehicles and charging stations.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 am
Taking a Que from Suzuki Johnny,.....Here, I fixed for you;
hillsy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:11 pm
Meh - I can't help it if I'm Sofa King Ignorant that I disregard the Facts/Evidences/History you and alot of others here have shown me.... :dunno:
:Cool:
I guess I'll have to take back the bit where I suggested you might not be around in 20 years - judging from this continued bullshit tactic I'm guessing you may just hit puberty by then.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Herb wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:23 pm
A great notion... Or a great BOONDOGGLE???

BTW, the government didn't pay for even one gas station to be installed.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... tent=daily

CA Agency May Scrap Electric Bus Fleet After Electric Buses Melt in California Sun, Catch Fire, Cost Too Much to Fix
By Cristina Laila
Published July 23, 2021 at 12:00pm

The electric bus idea is going down in flames – literally.

A California transit official said electric buses manufactured by Proterra are melting in the California heat.

One electric bus caught fire while it was charging and the agency said the electric buses are just too expensive to fix.

The Washington Free Beacon reported:

An electric bus manufactured by Proterra caught fire while charging in a southern California city that is now considering taking the electric buses off the road, according to government records.

The Foothill Transit agency, which serves the valleys surrounding Los Angeles, will decide on Friday whether costly Proterra buses purchased in the last decade are still operable. Problems cited by the agency include not only the bus that caught fire in what’s described as a “thermal event,” but also buses that melt in the California heat and have transmission failures. Roland Cordero, the agency’s director of maintenance and vehicle technology, says the problems with the buses are exacerbated by Proterra’s inability to help with repairs.

“With the number of failures we are experiencing and the inability of Proterra to provide parts, these [Battery Electric Buses] BEBs will only get worse as we continue to operate them whenever the BEBs are available for service,” Cordero wrote ahead of Friday’s executive board meeting, where the agency will debate taking Proterra buses out of service.

Meanwhile Biden’s gargantuan ‘infrastructure’ plan allocates billions of dollars to expand electric vehicles and charging stations.
Catching on FIRE??? in California??
I thought every one knew that Fires in California are BAD. Oh wait there "Thermal Event's"
Transmission failures and Melting???

What is there to discuss??

And I have noticed a lot of Free charging stations being installed around the city in super market and Mall parking lots
Ill bet Free dont last long

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:16 pm

And I have noticed a lot of Free charging stations being installed around the city in super market and Mall parking lots
Ill bet Free dont last long
Elon Musk says he will open his Tesla charging stations up to other vehicles this year as well. Not sure if that is globally or just Europe but it will kick things along a bit.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Must be an urban phenom. I have lived in this agricultural region for nine years and have yet to see an EV. I did hear of a few rich people that have them at their lake front camps in the Adirondack. Muskies to be exact.
Free E stations? Nothings free for very long.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:16 pm
Catching on FIRE??? in California??I thought every one knew that Fires in California are BAD. Oh wait there "Thermal Event's" Transmission failures and Melting???
What is there to discuss??

Ill bet Free don't last long
You are again, quite correct! "Free" charging stations certainly will not, because they are NOT free.

These "free" charging stations is yet another way to shove this so-called "environmentally friendly" technology" upon us all.

In a way, it's not all that much different than the huge subsidies we ALL suffer paying to foist "renewable energy" sources upon us. Which are not economically viable, (if they were, why do they need such HUGE finical subsidies?),.... AND are NOT environmentally "friendly" ( take their Carbon footprint to start off with).

It's all a lie.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I'm pretty sure that the way of the future is all about employment. New tech equals new EVERYTHING. New schools to train, new equipment to maintain, new technology to troubleshoot diagnose, etc....
There's nothing new to this practice. 25 year's ago, hole in the ozone. Need to eliminate the old and bring in new. Non-cfc products of every sort from spay bottles to pump, refrigeration completely changed, etc....Then once we were all switched over? Whoops our bad the hole was always there.
What really is dumbfounding to me is why everyone thinks we must choose? Wind, solar, hydro, nuclear, etc all viable solution to electric demand. Natural gas, electric, petroleum all viable transportation. We will always have a portion of the population that prefers petroleum vehicles and those who prefer electric. Great why fight over one or the other? We can have more than one correct?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:34 am
What really is dumbfounding to me is why everyone thinks we must choose? Wind, solar, hydro, nuclear, etc all viable solution to electric demand. Natural gas, electric, petroleum all viable transportation. We will always have a portion of the population that prefers petroleum vehicles and those who prefer electric. Great why fight over one or the other? We can have more than one correct?
Im not sure it is about choosing one or the other as much as it is about who is right trying to say someone else is wrong. Or who is smart and who is dumb.
Electric vehicles have been around for 200 years and haven’t taken off until now and I believe it is because there not ugly. Still I can’t depend on one because of range and not matter how cool the Tesla looks it loss’s it looks when sitting on the side of the road getting charged from a portable generator while the driver is smelling his own farts.
I have rescued 2 Tesla’s trying to go over the Snoqualmie pass that never mad it to the summit.
Or haw many times I have jump started a Prius because some one left the lights on and they had a full charge on the Hybrid battery. Or just towed them because they sat to long the battery was to low and it triggered a code and wouldn’t start was

Teslas are purpose built vehicles and are not meant to go across country. They’re great for city driving on flat terrain. But when the battery doesn’t have enough charge to move the vehicle it becomes a stone

I am nether for or against I just think that Battery powered cars even after 200 years are still in its infancies and should stick to the slow lane
I do enjoy telling Battery powered car owners where the electricity comes from though. The look never gets old

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:23 pm
I do enjoy telling Battery powered car owners where the electricity comes from though. The look never gets old
It does depend on where you are of course - for example New Zealand produces 80% of it's electricity via renewable energy sources....whereas Australia is around 27%....and US is about 20%....