Tomatoes

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Tomatoes

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Found the last two Cherokee Purple starter plants in town by chance yesterday.

There is no better tomato for slicing and using on a sandwich or just eating. They have an unusual internal structure, almost reminds me of a pomegranate, the fleshy parts are tender as watermelon. Low acidity too.

Unfortunately critters, birds, and bugs understand this too. They often preferentially decimate the CP's while bypassing other strains.

Oh well. So begins the eternal struggle.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Re: Tomatoes

Post by jeffcoslacker »

PS I had bought a little three-compartment tray of tiny salad tomatoes, the ones that were green/red I didn't care for much, but there was also bright yellow and red cherries that were good.

I popped a few wrapped in paper towel to get the seeds and let them dry out a few days. I bought one of those seed starter trays with 36 holes and I planted them. That was a few weeks ago...now I've got like 100 little plants I need to find places for.

They were going to go in 5 gallon buckets, which was the reason for the trip to Lowe's wherein I found the Cherokee Purples (mission creep)...so now I gotta go with Plan B for them...which...hasn't actually been thought of yet.

But I've found mini tomatoes to be absolute weeds. I could probably throw them out on the ground and they'd do fine... :blink:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
I popped a few wrapped in paper towel to get the seeds and let them dry out a few days. I bought one of those seed starter trays with 36 holes and I planted them. That was a few weeks ago...now I've got like 100 little plants I need to find places for.

They were going to go in 5 gallon buckets, which was the reason for the trip to Lowe's wherein I found the Cherokee Purples (mission creep)...so now I gotta go with Plan B for them...which...hasn't actually been thought of yet.
Great idea! I might load up a couple 5 gallon buckets myself. Love tomatoes!

I buy these a SAM's every now and then...

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Great idea! I might load up a couple 5 gallon buckets myself. Love tomatoes!

I buy these a SAM's every now and then...

The strongest and best producing tomato plants I've ever seen were so-called "volunteers" that grew from where a tomato got dropped and popped. I've noticed the IDEAL scenario seems to be when they grow from a crack in or edge of a concrete slab. It makes sense...the plants are very sun-loving but the roots have to stay wet and cool...they get the full reflected sunlight from the slab but the roots are up under there where it's always cool and moist.

There was one where I used to live growing between sidewalk slabs, spread out all over the ground. Had nice tomatoes on it. People walking over it and stepping on it just makes them bushier. When they can't grow length, they spread out laterally and get bushy.

Growing them vertically is a human thing. They aren't meant to be like that. We do that because it takes up less space and kinda helps keep bugs and pests from having easy access. But they really were meant to grow like a vine.

Make sure your buckets have lots of holes for drainage, put some large rocks or something in the bottom to help drainage and keep the bucket from falling over in wind, I used some cheap garden starter soil with fertilizer and blended it about half and half with some mulched up leaves and lawn clippings from the first mow. A 1 cubic foot bag mixed that way filled two 5 gallon buckets...They were 4 for $10 so I got plenty of reserve for the little tomatoes. [emoji106]

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
Make sure your buckets have lots of holes for drainage, put some large rocks or something in the bottom to help drainage and keep the bucket from falling over in wind, I used some cheap garden starter soil with fertilizer and blended it about half and half with some mulched up leaves and lawn clippings from the first mow. A 1 cubic foot bag mixed that way filled two 5 gallon buckets...They were 4 for $10 so I got plenty of reserve for the little tomatoes. [emoji106]

Years ago I built three gardens with 6x6x8s for growing vegetables, but the trees grew up and block so much sun light the tomatoes won't grow very well now. But I have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets I can load up and set on the deck where they'll get better light. Been meaning to try that but never got around to it.

Thought about trying it like this as well...

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

[emoji2] I like a nice toasted tomato sandwich with mayo, but not enough to grow 'em. More power to ya, and good luck. [emoji106]

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Cuban wrote:[emoji2] I like a nice toasted tomato sandwich with mayo, but not enough to grow 'em. More power to ya, and good luck. [emoji106]
Is it because you have to use a ladder to get them off the vine? [emoji2]

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

jeffcoslacker wrote:There is no better tomato for slicing and using on a sandwich or just eating. They have an unusual internal structure, almost reminds me of a pomegranate, the fleshy parts are tender as watermelon. Low acidity too.
Since you have an experiential Tomato "Green Thumb".

Tell me,...how do these Tomatoes compare with some mighty-fine, home-grown, fresh-off-the-vine Beef Steak Tomatoes?

Inquiring minds wanna know,....ya know. [emoji2]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I used to plant and harvest tree varieties of tomatoes ...better boys and beef steak along with Cherry ...gotten away from that and all I plant now are the patio tomatoes...they don't take much space..don't get tall enough to suffer from wind damage and they are just as tasty as the larger variety.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JFL Live wrote:
Thought about trying it like this as well...

That looks interesting - I might give that a go.

Is that hydroponic or just regular soil / mix?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

hillsy wrote:

Nevermind - just googled it and it is just potting mix. Sounds pretty easy [emoji106]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Designer wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:There is no better tomato for slicing and using on a sandwich or just eating. They have an unusual internal structure, almost reminds me of a pomegranate, the fleshy parts are tender as watermelon. Low acidity too.
Since you have an experiential Tomato "Green Thumb".

Tell me,...how do these Tomatoes compare with some mighty-fine, home-grown, fresh-off-the-vine Beef Steak Tomatoes?

Inquiring minds wanna know,....ya know. [emoji2]
It's been a long time since I grew Beefsteak but the Cherokees seem to have more flesh and less seeds, the fleshy parts are very tender and have a sweeter taste than most. Like I said, weird internal structure, you're getting a lot more substance than the watery pulp that most tomatoes consist of, but it's very edible not tough like you might think.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

hillsy wrote:
hillsy wrote:

Nevermind - just googled it and it is just potting mix. Sounds pretty easy [emoji106]

One of the things they didn't mention that I've seen on other sites. That is to put some foam around hole to protect the stem from rubbing against the bucket. Might help hold the dirt in too.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JFL Live wrote:
hillsy wrote:
hillsy wrote:

One of the things they didn't mention that I've seen on other sites. That is to put some foam around hole to protect the stem from rubbing against the bucket. Might help hold the dirt in too.
Yeah - I was thinking to line the bottom of the bucket with weed matting or something to stop the mix falling out as well [emoji106]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

hillsy wrote:
JFL Live wrote:
hillsy wrote:
hillsy wrote:

Yeah - I was thinking to line the bottom of the bucket with weed matting or something to stop the mix falling out as well [emoji106]
A few years ago I saw upside-down tomato growing planters ready-made, just a vinyl "sock" with a couple of metal rings for shape in the ends, and some kind of barrier on the down side. But making one would be more fun [emoji106]

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

franktiregod wrote: Is that because you're so fucking short that you need to use a ladder to get them off the vine? [emoji2]

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

:lolfall:

I am not sure that's exactly what I said. Lol

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

franktiregod wrote: :lolfall: I'm sure that's exactly what I said.
[emoji2]

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Cuban wrote:
franktiregod wrote: :lolfall: I'm sure that's exactly what I said.
[emoji2]

:lmao: