Veterans read

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Veterans read

Post by Tbeck »

As of November 11th 2017 the DoD has authorized ALL veterans of the US Armed Forces who were honourably discharged to use the four military exchange's (AAFES, NEXCOM, MCX, and CGX).
To use this benefit simply do a search for the appropriate exchange service, create an account, and you'll be able to use the online shopping service.
All you'll need to create an account is your last 4 ssan, dob, and last name.

I thought I would pass this on because I know there are many vet's on the board who didn't retire (like some of us) and therefore have not had access to the exchanges. Now you can...enjoy!

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Re: Veterans read

Post by MadCow »

:rock: :rock: :rock:
-DBTO

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

I remember back in late 1990's - early 2000's I was awarded money from the AAFES scam. (I didn't even know about it, just got a check!) Apparently, in the early 90's they started doing a "take home layaway" (like a credit card). Turns out the interest rates were astronomical and many wound up paying more than double what they charged on interest!

At least, that's the story I got.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Damumz
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2017 Road Glide Ultra

Post by Damumz »

I go camping on the beach at Camp Pendleton a couple of times a year. Their PX is real close to the camp ground. But to do any shopping we drive to San Clemente, the PX prices are beyond outrageous. :bang:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I shop a lot at that store where everything’s a dollar. They got the best big ol chocolate bars, just a dollar.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Randy, we found that many items we wanted to purchase could be found at retailer's off base much cheaper than the exchange. However some items like electronics were the opposite.

I did some poking around the exchange site just to compare and there are some good deals, plus the benefit of no tax or shipping.

I just thought some of the board's veteran's who haven't had access to the store's might find this change worth their time.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Damumz wrote:I go camping on the beach at Camp Pendleton a couple of times a year. Their PX is real close to the camp ground. But to do any shopping we drive to San Clemente, the PX prices are beyond outrageous. :bang:
Agree.

I was working out at STRATCOM at Offut AFB over the summer and stopped into the local base exchange and was like, WTF? over the prices.

Not only that, middle of the day the place is deserted...which was surprising. I went there twice and both times only maybe 4-5 people even in the store...and this place was the size of Walmart.
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

MC, I would GUESS that the BX isn't much different than Sears, JCPENNEY, and a bunch of other retailer's suffering the competition found online. 21st century shopping is likely going to result in the demise of retail stores

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

One of the things I noticed was that the exchanges carry a lot of name brand products, usually at below the prices in other retail outlets. However, in most cases, we could purchase non-name brand products for much less in town.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Don’t know why, but for some reason I have never been aware of a PX nearby since separation in 1965. Seems like once I donned civies full time I never again looked back at government life.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

RoadKing wrote:Don’t know why, but for some reason I have never been aware of a PX nearby since separation in 1965. Seems like once I donned civies full time I never again looked back at government life.
Being retired I have used the exchange and commissaries quit a bit. Although it hasn't been as useful since I left San Diego. However a person really needs to pay attention to prices, some things save money, others don't. My wife and I have a pretty good handle on costs and go where the best prices are.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

RK, sounds like you and I are of similar mind with regards to leaving the past behind. I haven't used the exchanges or even stepped foot on a base since I retired. Ok little fib there, I went to my son's graduation from boot camp several years ago, but we simply went to the ceremony and then went home.
No bases around here, and I didn't even use the VA hospital until about 15 or so years after retirement. Had I not started doing volunteer work there I probably still wouldn't be.

Anyhow like I said I just wanted to share this information so that if someone wanted they'd have the info.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Herb wrote:One of the things I noticed was that the exchanges carry a lot of name brand products, usually at below the prices in other retail outlets. However, in most cases, we could purchase non-name brand products for much less in town.
I found the same. I retired in Blair, Oklahoma and always shopped at Wal Mart in Altus for groceries even though Altus AFB was within 10 miles of my house. I liked the brands, customer service, atmosphere better. I haven't been to a commissary, BX, PX, etc, in since the 1990s.

I remember reading an article once about those commissary food prices. The article explained that the DoD has an agreement to keep prices somewhat in line with the prices of food stores in local communities so as to not harm local businesses. If it weren't for that, they could probably offer some really great savings.
lovineveryminuteofit