Why I wear a helmet...

All members! Please read this!
This is your information page that lets you know what's happening with the board.
buster711
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 GLP1400 + 98 Virago xv1100

Why I wear a helmet...

Post by buster711 »

Lead up is that Had a car wreck March 31st when a woman rear ended me at 50 mph totaling the car. I came out of that with minor cuts from glass and the cat scan & MRI were clear....I mention this because while I walked away from THAT one nine days later on April 9th I was less than a mile from that location on my Intruder 1400 on a winding road that I am quite aware of why the speed limit is 25mph and why I was moving at that rate when the front tire slid on some gravel and my attempt to correct things resulted in the hand grip hitting my chest and me hitting the ground and sliding to a stop....I laid a couple minutes as a couple cars drove by before getting up in big time pain to assess the situation...By then two cars stopped and while a man and a woman moved the bike off the road I took off my helmet to find a crack and major scrapping on the side....Police came and while EMT's are checking me out and insisting I go to the hospital I am pleading with the officer not to have the bike towed since I live less than a mile away and had a neighbor on the way to pick it up...After EMT's stating they could not force me to go and telling the officer I was coherent and able-bodied, and fruitless attempts to start the bike since fluid was all on the ground I was at a point where I believe the pure adrenaline I was running on wore off and I collapsed...Then I was on a ride to the hospital to discover I had 8 fractured ribs, a lacerated liver and a collapsed lung..Was "Life Flighted" to Pittsburgh where 3 days layer they overdosed me on opiates and took THREE Narcian treatments to bring me back...
My point being in sharing this that even at a low rate of speed the damage was massive to me left me and left me even MORE grateful I had that helmet on.
I have met folks who were not as fortunate as I. I prayed for someone who was finally taken off life support and the only major trauma was to the head....My brother died in 1977 in his f-250 while 3 other people with him (yes that many teens in a truck likely was a factor) suffered minor to moderate injuries...Again his biggest injury was to the head...while no reason for a helmet it's Just an example of how little the brain can endure when it is assaulted...
I was in the hospital for about two months. Then a week after release went back for another week for a tube to drain fluid out of the chest wall...Followed by 6 weeks of intravenous antibiotic treatment three times a day...
I am all for the freedom of the individual EVEN with seat belts (except for kids) but in my opinion a helmet is a MUST before even moving down the driveway...
Thanks for taking time to read this & God Bless all of you...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Why I wear a helmet...

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Glad to hear you are ok now. Wearing a helmet is a must for me also as I had a wreck on a bike one night and don't remember anything about it. I was told I bit the Drs. finger when he tried to check my teeth after I told him not to. :lolfall: I did end up with a cut lip that now has a scar on it and fingers wouldn't move for over two weeks. So I ate chicken noodle soup through a straw until I got movement back. I was afraid I would never be able to use them again as the Doctor couldn't be sure I would get movement back. :eek: Anyway, good to read you'll ok. [emoji106]
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Thanks for posting that. Living in a state with a helmet law and wearing one for so many years, I likely could never get accustomed to riding without one. Although I ride without a jacket once in a great while, I find I don't have the same confidence level when riding without my padded jacket and that's one reason I prefer riding the cool months. We all have to define the level of risk we're okay with. Stories like yours helps people make those decisions without having to experience them first hand.
lovineveryminuteofit

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Ky had a helmet law early on but since around 2000 its off and they do not enforce the age under 18 age limit and year or less as a operator that I see. I just got so used to wearing them and do not feel right at all on a sport bike or on/off with out one. Been down only twice that was anything other than a scrape or scratch. Only one I did not ride home after the crash. The one I rode home was worse than the could not as rolled like a ball and the big four behind went around me and was ten feet or more ahead of me when it stopped. My full face had scuffs on lower sides and front and my face would not come out good at all but was its usual ugly self but arms and legs bruised so bad from pulls while rolling and one spot of blood were the leather police style jacket wore through close to mid arm....SR2 if you ever get a offer to try a Joe Rocket all mesh or equal in another brand try it. Best summer time thing I ever got. It is far cooler than just a T as long as you are moving. Keeps sun out but air seems to go through even better! Mine has held up so good to have so many miles on it. Pads still good allso. [emoji106]

Steveinsandiego
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: bikeless for now

Post by Steveinsandiego »

when i returned to scooting in 1997 i vowed always to wear a helmet. since then i've been down only once, somewhere between 2001 and early 2005.

i was riding my 00(could've been an 01...weird that i can't remember) black intruder 1500. i was turning right into a residential area. in the middle of the turn the rear wheel shot out to the left (don't ask me why) and down the bike and i went.luckily the right leatherlyke saddlebag protected my right foot. thank God i was wearing a helmet as my head "bounced" against the asphalt.

lucky for me two guys were right there to help...one a pedestrian, the other in his ford pick-up. they helped me to my feet, and righted the intruder. only damage to the bike was a twisted rear brake pedal, which the pick-up driver straightened with a crowbar. minor scrape on front brake lever, and a bit of paint gone from the front fender.

i rode 40 miles home without incident, thankful that my cranium was intact.

ordered new leatherlykes. haven't been down since...but i continue to wear a helmet.

otherwise, i do not exercise ATGATT. go figure.
don't die wondering

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

old time rider wrote:SR2 if you ever get a offer to try a Joe Rocket all mesh or equal in another brand try it. Best summer time thing I ever got. It is far cooler than just a T as long as you are moving. Keeps sun out but air seems to go through even better! Mine has held up so good to have so many miles on it. Pads still good allso. [emoji106]
I have a mesh jacket, a First Gear brand. It's okay, except my arms sweat. Arms don't flow as much air as the torso.
lovineveryminuteofit

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Are the arm all mesh like the Joe Rocket? Lots will have mesh but not the entire arm and covers for the rest in case of rain. Mine is a 100% mesh but for shoulder and back insert pads. Its one cool sucker.

Steveinsandiego
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: bikeless for now

Post by Steveinsandiego »

oh, yeah,forgot to mention that california requires wearing a helmet. i will always, required or not.

i did look at steel-toed footwear this afternoon. may invest after i buy a new bike; waffling now between new fz-07 or new cb500f, a subject for another forum...LOL
don't die wondering