Forum down?

All members! Please read this!
This is your information page that lets you know what's happening with the board.
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Forum down?

Post by hillsy »

I couldn't access the site earlier today (my time).

Everything OK?

It's obviously back up now but did it get hacked or something?

Has Covid19 gone cyber now?

[emoji41]

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Forum down?

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:I couldn't access the site earlier today (my time). Everything OK?

It's obviously back up now but did it get hacked or something? Has Covid19 gone cyber now?

[emoji41]
I had thought the same as you did. :uhh: .... But....... all is well ! [emoji106]

But you know,...maybe it would be smart to create some Finger Extensions so I could keep "Social Distancing" with my Computer ? :Umm:

WhaddaYaThink? :jester:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

I noticed the unscheduled outage last night as well...don't know what was going on with the backend.
-DBTO

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

MadCow wrote:I noticed the unscheduled outage last night as well...don't know what was going on with the backend.
I was busy all day yesterday, Didn't have time to check-in after yesterday morning but when I logged on this morning I thought that the postings were kinda sparse.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I noticed it as well.
Must have been a provider issue.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

MadCow wrote:I noticed the unscheduled outage last night as well...don't know what was going on with the backend.
YoDude wrote:I noticed it as well. Must have been a provider issue. Yo-
Okay,...This is a Rookie Question from a guy who is an IT Neophyte.

Does this mean that;

A provider = The backend ? :Umm:

Inquiring minds wanna know,.........ya know. [emoji2]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Well, Mike talks IT lingo. I talk English. To me the provider is the company that actually hosts the site on their server. These are the people I have to pay to keep the site up and running. ...And trust me, they keep jacking the price all the time. But I assure you all, that I had no part in this outage in any way.
So it's not a matter of not paying the bills and shit like that, (this is why I have our trusty PayPal page that goes off every August..) but one of the provider themselves. Now, not to fret over it, these providers are trustworthy and even though I did want to move to another provider, it turned into such a PITA that I just let it go and kept the one we've been with since the beginning. Might be best that way anyway.

Now as to whether or not the provider and The Backend are the same thing? Well I wanna go watch some, "Back End" about now :mrgreen: :evil:

Yo-

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Designer wrote:
YoDude wrote:I noticed it as well. Must have been a provider issue. Yo-
Okay,...This is a Rookie Question from a guy who is an IT Neophyte.

Does this mean that;

A provider = The backend ? :Umm:

Inquiring minds wanna know,.........ya know. [emoji2]
Yes. The backend means the service provider; the servers and infrastructure (network devices, disk storage etc) hosting and carrying network traffic to/from the site. The frontend is this website you see here and the software (Apache and PHP) + database (SQL) that runs it.

If there was a problem with the frontend, you would connect to the site but see an error....such as SQL database error on your screen. You would see *something* on your screen.

If when you try to go to our site, and you cannot connect to ANYTHING and your browsers displays an error saying you cannot connect to site...that is a "backend" error. Something is down between your PC/Browser and the sites "frontend".
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

There! See how easy? :mrgreen:

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

No backend problems here...

Steve-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Sometimes, I thin you guys are just being too stiff.

Steve-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Sir, I disagree!

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

It could be an outlet for a gas factory, but I'm willing to bet it may be a place for a good nights sleep.

Steve-

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

hillsy wrote: I couldn't access the site earlier today (my time).

Everything OK? It's obviously back up now but did it get hacked or something?
The site was down just the other day for a number of hours.

When this happens there are sites you can use to check it.

Like this one: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

:cheers:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

MadCow wrote: ... The backend means the service provider; the servers and infrastructure (network devices, disk storage etc) hosting and carrying network traffic to/from the site. The frontend is this website you see here and the software (Apache and PHP) + database (SQL) that runs it.

If there was a problem with the frontend, you would connect to the site but see an error....such as SQL database error on your screen. You would see *something* on your screen.

If when you try to go to our site, and you cannot connect to ANYTHING and your browsers displays an error saying you cannot connect to site...that is a "backend" error. Something is down between your PC/Browser and the sites "frontend".
@ Steve and Mike... before the site went dark the other day, it was acting 'wonky'. (one of JFL's favorite words) It was having difficulties connecting, it was timing out, and particularly, it was displaying 'Certificate' errors. As if the cert had expired. After running a whois to see that it was still valid, I saw multiple references to someplace named 'bizland.com'. I googled that but didn't get very far. I figured the hosting server had been infected with some malware, and the site(s) were likely down while they cleaned... :cheers:

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Cuban wrote:
MadCow wrote: ... The backend means the service provider; the servers and infrastructure (network devices, disk storage etc) hosting and carrying network traffic to/from the site. The frontend is this website you see here and the software (Apache and PHP) + database (SQL) that runs it.

@ Steve and Mike... before the site went dark the other day, it was acting 'wonky'. (one of JFL's favorite words) It was having difficulties connecting, it was timing out, and particularly, it was displaying 'Certificate' errors. As if the cert had expired. After running a whois to see that it was still valid, I saw multiple references to someplace named 'bizland.com'. I googled that but didn't get very far. I figured the hosting server had been infected with some malware, and the site(s) were likely down while they cleaned... :cheers:
;IDunno:
-DBTO

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Well then it would seem that the forum being down and then fixed,-- it somehow enabled all the rouges and unsuitable s to return. Just thought I'de let you know.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Fred wrote:Well then it would seem that the forum being down and then fixed,-- it somehow enabled all the rouges and unsuitable s to return. Just thought I'de let you know.
Nah, you're back because I lifted your ban.
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Fred wrote:Well then it would seem that the forum being down and then fixed,-- it somehow enabled all the rouges and unsuitable s to return. Just thought I'de let you know.
FRED! :cheers:

Yo-

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Oh--- when was that lifted then.

I knew you would miss me sooner or later.

hey Dude :cheers: