Harley Guys

Find a good link to parts and accessories?
Post 'em up here.
franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Re: Harley Guys

Post by franktiregod »

hillsy wrote:
franktiregod wrote:
Travlin wrote:From what I can gather the TC cam tensioner issue was prior to 07. They went to hyd actuated and a roller chain.8 (I hope, I have a 07)

Primary tensioner seems to be a main't issue, shoe replacement from time to time.

Depends on your definition of prior.

Yes in 07 they went to hydraulic but they STILL have problems. It just delays it a little longer. Now you start checking them around 60k instead of 20k as before.

So is that really fixed? Not in my book it isnt.

If the gear drive that is sold aftermarket is so much better that should be what HD puts in at the factory.

Maybe I am spoiled after decades of "jap bikes" but tearing into an engine with less than 100k is not a good thing. And its certainly not a bike that you would pay premium price for.
First off, changing the tensioner is not really tearing into the engine as such. Yes, there's a bit of stuff to remove to get to it but it's not like ripping off the heads or splitting the cases.

Second about the gear drive is that if the crank flexes they can bind and destroy themselves. It's unlikely in a stock motor, but if you go for a bigger bore (like my buddy did) then it can become an issue.

The biggest problem with the spring loaded tensioner in the HD is you have no way to check it other than taking it out. You don't know how much its worn or when it will need replacement.
I didn't say split the cases. I said tear into the engine which you agreed with. Removing a bit of stuff to replace something that shouldnt be an issue doesn't exactly scream dependable or reliable.

You can watch your oil for plastic bits as the tensioner disintegrates too.

Now we could split hairs all day but the fact is this was a problem for years before HD decided to semi address it.

Since most people stay stock with their engine they should have the gear drive. People who modify engines expect issues and additional work. But people who buy a bike to ride dont want to spend money and time building what the factory should have done.

My opinion. I could be wrong.....but I'm not. [emoji2]

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Harley Guys

Post by hillsy »

Hey Frank - I agree with you. It's a shit design and shouldn't have ever been a problem.

I'd probably buy a Honda before one of these.....

:lmao: