Intruder INTERCHANGE HELP

Find a good link to parts and accessories?
Post 'em up here.
CG98Intruder
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Vs1400 intruder Suzuki

Intruder INTERCHANGE HELP

Post by CG98Intruder »

VS800 vs VS1400 1985-2004

Seat fit ; 800 same as 1400??? Brakes rotors and calipers front and rear

Interchange between 2 bikes , thx

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Intruder INTERCHANGE HELP

Post by YoDude »

Generally speaking they are pretty much not compatible with each other. Some things are interchangeable but not a lot.
The 21 inch front wheel from the 800 will fit on the 1400. I personally don't know enough about the 800 to be of much help though.
Bronx is the guy you really want to talk with. He wheels and deals these bikes like there no one elses business.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

linesider
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzi vs1400 Kawasaki Nomad

Post by linesider »

The 800 has a rear drum brake and front rotor. The rotors are interchangeable, the caliper is not as the bolt patterns are different.
Front brake pads are interchangeable also.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

linesider wrote:The 800 has a rear drum brake and front rotor. The rotors are interchangeable, the caliper is not as the bolt patterns are different.
Actually, IIRC, the caliper is the same part number. Honestly, linesider, you'd probably know for sure since I remember you having both bikes. I know the clutch and brake lines interchange.

Here's a compete list, from memory of things that are an exact fit or require little modification to fit from front to back.

Bars
Mirrors
Turn signals
Master cylinders
Front wheel, rotor(older 700s had a 5 bolt rotor, so keep that in mind)
comlplete front end (trees to caliper, the whole thing fits the steering head perfectly, good to know if you'd like wider or narrower forks)
Spark plugs
Battery (only a slight difference in size, I had a 1400 battery in my smaller Intruder)
Final drive (swap both ways, 1400 for better highway gearing, 800 for quicker acceleration)

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things and I'll add them as I remember.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

linesider
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzi vs1400 Kawasaki Nomad

Post by linesider »

enforcer wrote:
linesider wrote:The 800 has a rear drum brake and front rotor. The rotors are interchangeable, the caliper is not as the bolt patterns are different.
Actually, IIRC, the caliper is the same part number. Honestly, linesider, you'd probably know for sure since I remember you having both bikes. I know the clutch and brake lines interchange.

Here's a compete list, from memory of things that are an exact fit or require little modification to fit from front to back.

Bars
Mirrors
Turn signals
Master cylinders
comlplete front end (trees to caliper, the whole thing fits the steering head perfectly, good to know if you'd like wider or narrower forks)
Spark plugs
Battery (only a slight difference in size, I had a 1400 battery in my smaller Intruder)
Final drive (swap both ways, 1400 for better highway gearing, 800 for quicker acceleration)

Partsoutlaw uses different part numbers for the calipers, and IIRC the distance between the caliper bosses on the fork lowers is different, so I'll stand pat on this opinion! :HatTip:

Coupla' things to add to the list:
Speedo housing and I believe some speedo's
backrest pad
toolbox covers - front and rear
backrest "cap" (aka "handle, pillion rider, upper")

ELM
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 86 Suzuki Intruder 700

Post by ELM »

enforcer wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Bars
Mirrors
Turn signals
Master cylinders
Spark plugs

So I can swap my 94 800 rear drum to a 1400 rear with disk? Does the year matter?

hillsy v2
BIKE REPOED!
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

ELM wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 pm

So I can swap my 94 800 rear drum to a 1400 rear with disk? Does the year matter?
That's not straightforward - you have to source a caliper and mount as well as MC and linkage from the brake pedal.