Front brake disc

Find a good link to parts and accessories?
Post 'em up here.
mtibbi24
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder vs750

Front brake disc

Post by mtibbi24 »

Hello. I recently purchased a set of alloy wheels for my 1989 vs750 intruder and I was wondering if there are differences between the 5 holes brake disk and the 6 holes disk, like overall diameter. Obviously it has less holes :)) Otherwise, I think the fitting will be straightforward… thank you in advance!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Front brake disc

Post by navigator »

You can use either the 6 bolt spoke wheel or the 5 bolt snowflake wheel on your 750.
The rotor diameter and spacing for the caliper is the same. the speedo drive pockets are the same.
Depending on which side your caliper is on will determine the proper tire rotation when mounting the tire.

mtibbi24
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mtibbi24 »

Thank you for your answer.

mtibbi24
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mtibbi24 »

I did more research and I found that the 5 holes disc brake has to be installed on the left side. I need to find a brake disc that can be installed on the right side… the only compatible disc I found for my set of wheels is the ebc md3073LS (LS stands for Left Side). Anyone knows a workaround for this matter?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

navigator wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:04 pm
You can use either the 6 bolt spoke wheel or the 5 bolt snowflake wheel on your 750.
The rotor diameter and spacing for the caliper is the same. the speedo drive pockets are the same.
Depending on which side your caliper is on will determine the proper tire rotation when mounting the tire.
As stated, buy the ebc md3073LS and install it on your alloy 5 bolt wheel.
Then turn the whole wheel around so that the rotor is on the right side and the speedo drive is on the left side.
Mount the tire on the new wheel backwards so the rotation arrow points in the proper direction.
Slide the rotor into your caliper on the right side and you are good to go.
The brake pads don't care that the LS rotor is now on the right. :cheers:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

mtibbi24 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:33 pm
I did more research and I found that the 5 holes disc brake has to be installed on the left side. I need to find a brake disc that can be installed on the right side… the only compatible disc I found for my set of wheels is the ebc md3073LS (LS stands for Left Side). Anyone knows a workaround for this matter?
See my post above.

mtibbi24
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mtibbi24 »

I understand that, but the disc is perforated and the holes have somewhat of a direction, if I flip it to the other side, they will have the wrong rotation. I don’t know how to attach a photo so you can see what I’m saying.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

mtibbi24 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:58 am
I understand that, but the disc is perforated and the holes have somewhat of a direction, if I flip it to the other side, they will have the wrong rotation. I don’t know how to attach a photo so you can see what I’m saying.
I'd say it will be OK.

mtibbi24
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mtibbi24 »

Haha, hopefully.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

These sorts of discs are super common in sportsbike world - not directional...

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The purpose of the holes is mainly to aid in heat dissipation, they also help clear debris, gasses and water. The pattern is virtually meaningless as far as direction of rotation. You will probably not feel any change in performance due to rotation, if any at all.
You will get better braking performance because they are drilled, and they are a floating rotor.
Using EBC sintered FA103HH pads will increase pad life and performance, but may wear the rotor faster than organic pads.
I have run EBC rotors with HH pads, and the rotors lasted well over 100,000 miles without needing replacement.