Regulator update

Find a good link to parts and accessories?
Post 'em up here.
Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400 1999

Regulator update

Post by Voodoo13 »

Im installing an m unit and I want to upgrade my regulator to be able to change to lithium later on. Any suggestions?

Also the starter solenoid.

Thanks in advance and what an awesome page!
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Regulator update

Post by hillsy v2 »

Voodoo13 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:58 am
Im installing an m unit and I want to upgrade my regulator to be able to change to lithium later on. Any suggestions?

Honestly, I don't see the point of the M unit.

For an RR you would be best off getting a series type regulator. Common options are the Shindengen SH775 or the RR off a Polaris.

Starter solenoid? No real advantage going anything else than stock. But if you are going to rewire everything the type that is on the 1500 has an inbuilt main fuse which is handy.

Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400 1999

Post by Voodoo13 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:41 am
Voodoo13 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:58 am

Honestly, I don't see the point of the M unit.

For an RR you would be best off getting a series type regulator. Common options are the Shindengen SH775 or the RR off a Polaris.

Starter solenoid? No real advantage going anything else than stock. But if you are going to rewire everything the type that is on the 1500 has an inbuilt main fuse which is handy.
The starter solenoid should preferably be upgraded.

The m-unit allows you to f.e. customize the lighting functions, cut away relays and make all other led options easier to connect.
Also to be able to program your lights, as the intruder turns on everything that glows on before you start it. Also other awesome options available in the future f.e. Better observation on how your battery is doing, alarm, keyless option etc.

Installing a lithium battery also to reduces weight. But that is scheduled for next summer. That is the reason for the regulator question.

So my changes so far are: air filterboxes gone, kn filters installed, carbs re-jetted, m-unit installed (still connecting), smaller headlight (built a small connector box in the frame, start button relocated, switches on the handle bar integrated into the handle bar, mirrors facing down, led turnsignals, led taillight, usb port installed to charge phone whilst riding :rock:

What is left: finish connecting the m unit, relocate the coils, blacken all chrome, change the tank and paint it :clap:
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Voodoo13 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:55 am

The starter solenoid should preferably be upgraded.

It's essentially just an electronic relay....IE: a switch.

There's not a lot to upgrade. It either works or it doesn't.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Voodoo13 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:55 am
The m-unit allows you to f.e. customize the lighting functions, cut away relays and make all other led options easier to connect.
Also to be able to program your lights, as the intruder turns on everything that glows on before you start it. Also other awesome options available in the future f.e. Better observation on how your battery is doing, alarm, keyless option etc.
Man! that's great. :space: With all those features, anyone of even modest intelligence can say,.......Honestly, I do see the point of the M unit.

Good Choice there. :space: Please keep us informed as to how it all works out. :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Skippy can't help himself.