Getting my bike into my truck

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Getting my bike into my truck

Post by Leckbass »

So I'm thinking about putting the bike into the back of my Tundra and driving South to Florida in a few weeks. I figured if I get a set of 1000lb ramps, I'd be good to go. Does anybody have a recommendation for a set of ramps? I've looked at ramps at Lowe's and Home Depot and Harbor Freight but there's many options.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Getting my bike into my truck

Post by navigator »

I can only recommend you get something with some grip, or add something like expanded metal to help with tire grip.
Smooth ramps will allow the tires to slide.
Going on is the easy part, coming back down is when you want the grip.
Getting the back of the truck lower, or backing up to a hill helps with the transition angle so you don't bottom out.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

My set is about like these except that mine don't fold. I set them to where I walk up one ramp and use the bike engine to pull it up. I have used these for years and they work very well. We loaded a full dress harley with them, and 2 people pushing.

The only thing I would caution a person on is that you have to be careful that you don't catch a toe on one of the rungs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Mult ... TwodJNgMLg
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Leckbass wrote:This one caught my eye.

https://www.discountramps.com/single-mo ... F-9012-HD/
The problem with only one ramp is the difficulty loading ANY bike alone, and a heavy bike even with another person.

Using 2 ramps I can load and unload my 1400 or my GS1100GK by myself. With only one ramp, it would take, at least, 2 strong people.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

I was thinking about using my regular old wooden ramps on each side of the aluminum ramp, I would drive the bike up on the aluminum ramp and use the wooden ramps for stability

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Leckbass wrote:I was thinking about using my regular old wooden ramps on each side of the aluminum ramp, I would drive the bike up on the aluminum ramp and use the wooden ramps for stability
Sounds like a plan.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

because I did a search for ramps I started getting popup ads for them. One of them is this one at $60. Good for 750 lbs.

https://www.discountramps.com/motocross ... 0000000002

Or you can get 2 of them for $99.

https://www.discountramps.com/atv-loadi ... FL-9012-2/

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I like this one.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

Herb wrote:because I did a search for ramps I started getting popup ads for them. One of them is this one at $60. Good for 750 lbs.

https://www.discountramps.com/motocross ... 0000000002

Or you can get 2 of them for $99.

https://www.discountramps.com/atv-loadi ... FL-9012-2/
Decisions decisions... u think 750 is enough?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

There are very few bikes that weigh more than that. The 1400 weighs 560 wet. My GS1100GK weighs about 640, wet.

Most specified capacities are tested to 125% of rated load, which is what OSHA requires. Which brings the tested load up to 837lbs.

I would have no problem with using this type of ramp for either of my bikes.

My ramps don't fold up but I bought them from the back of a hardware store and there was no box or idea of the load rating and have used them for loading a lot, including one of the Harley dressers.

Your call. If you don't feel comfortable with the load rating, don't buy it because you will never feel good about using it.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

I totally appreciate your advice. I think you meant 937 lbs., but in all honesty I think the ramp could have a 2500 pound rating and I still wouldn't feel totally comfortable, LOL.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Leckbass wrote:I totally appreciate your advice. I think you meant 937 lbs., but in all honesty I think the ramp could have a 2500 pound rating and I still wouldn't feel totally comfortable, LOL.
I worry every time I load a bike. One little slip and things go to hell fast. I have never had an issue but the concern is always there.

Anymore, I normally use a trailer to haul the bikes. But even though it is much lower than the pickup was, it is always a concern to load and unload.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Loaded more drag bikes than any by my self. Sure don't fool my self at 71 that am just a shell of what I was back in drag racing days. Glad for help any more and will even seek it as when loading the C50 last fall. Just a hand to hold in place from another old guy really helps. Sick feeling from all that have done it a lot when it starts falling over too far on a ramp to save and you have to jump or go with it! :eek: :putput:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

[youtube][/youtube]

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

That's a good how NOT to.
I've watched folks ride them up and brake at the last second....takes practice.
I usually duck walk it up and use the friction zone, just make sure your foot ramps are reachable from the seat.
OR walk along side and use the friction zone.
Coming off (engine off) leave it in gear and use the brake and clutch to slow/stop it.
Wet can be slippery.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The video shows why I want to have, at least, a second ramp.

I use the 2nd ramp to walk up alongside the bike, using the clutch to ease it up. Coming down I walk alongside the bike using the front brake to control the speed.

I never load the bikes astride, if something goes wrong it is too hard to get away from the bike. Might be ok to be astride IF the ramp is wide enough to get both feet on a solid surface but with just 2 narrow ramps, it would be impossible to keep from falling to the open side and end up under the bike.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Yeah 3 ramps, one for the bike, one on each side for your feet.
just make sure you can keep your feet on them.
Coming down, using the front brake is good, but if wet and that tire slides, I like to have it in gear so you can also stop the rear with the clutch.

Anyways, be safe.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

If you have hills around, you can back the truck up to one, so any ramps you use won't have as much angle. I did this when loading/unloading my 910lb Valkyrie to my trailer, which is somewhat lower than a truck bed, and it made things a lot safer.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The driveway of the house I used ti lie in sloped up to the garage. By backing the pickup rear wheels into the gutter I could get the tailgate about a foot lower than having it in the street. Made it much easier to load and umload.