So I have begun the final phase of getting the Mystery Bike 97 finished. Since I had to replace the tank, a paint job was in order. I am no professional painter but I have more experience with rattle can jobs than a pro airbrush.
So I ordered the colors necessary from Colorite to include the aerosol clear coat kit, KK7.
Since there was a ding in the paint all the way to bare metal I decided to strip the entire tank. I used Klean Strip from Home Depot. Good stuff. It sprays out into a foam and then you just wait. After about 15 minutes you hear crackling sounds as the paint 'pops' off.
I had to do this about 3 times as I was not in the mood to sand too much. I did need to sand some but not too much.
Next was to clean the surface and shoot the primer.
Next was the Milky White.
Masking for the blue was the most difficult part. It isn't perfect but pretty decent.
The next step will be to put the pin stripes on. I got a set of double stripes just incase my paint lines didn't come out too well and I could cover them with one of the lines. I should get to the lines sometime tomorrow. Then the clear coat which has to cure for 5+ days. I will post the final pictures when the clear coat is on.
I went ahead and put the pin stripes on now too.
Although I cannot prove it, I think I might have been sent the matt/flat eggshell clearcoat. The KK8. My cans say KK7 but the finish does not look high gloss; it looks satin.
Now I sprayed exactly according to the instructions but I do not see a high gloss finish.
The paint kit came with 'light cut' polishing compound but ZERO instructions on how to use it. Perhaps this is required to achieve the high gloss finish, but I am concerned about screwing up the paint job by doing something wrong. I really don't want to paint this tank again. I mean it looks decent the way it is but it does not have a HIGH gloss, ore really any gloss at all.
Well I just completed the project. Sanding with wet 2000 and 2500 grit sand paper. Then light cut polishing compound. Next I installed my Intruder decals and finished it up with a coat of wax. I think it turned out good. I am glad this is done.
I probably could have done a bit more sanding. It seems I had a pretty thick coat of clear on there. It feels really nice and has a shine to it but you can still see some 'texture'. For my very small amount of experience painting things, I am happy with it.
While carefully filling the tank with fuel a drop popped out on to the tank. No effect. Wiped right off and left no residue. I guess the KK7 clear does its job. I have a full can of clear that came with my package, but it is for areas that won't see fuel or solvents.
Here is my Clymers manual shot. I have wanted this color Intruder since I bought my first Clymers years ago. Now I finally have it.