Step by Step: Painting gas tank with rattle can paint

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
98VS1400
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Triumph Tiger EXP 1200
Moniker: Taming a Tiger

Step by Step: Painting gas tank with rattle can paint

Postby 98VS1400 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:15 pm

A project by: DMIntruder

So I have begun the final phase of getting the Mystery Bike 97 finished.  Since I had to replace the tank, a paint job was in order.  I am no professional painter but I have more experience with rattle can jobs than a pro airbrush.

So I ordered the colors necessary from Colorite to include the aerosol clear coat kit, KK7.

Since there was a ding in the paint all the way to bare metal I decided to strip the entire tank.  I used Klean Strip from Home Depot.  Good stuff.  It sprays out into a foam and then you just wait.  After about 15 minutes you hear crackling sounds as the paint 'pops' off.

I had to do this about 3 times as I was not in the mood to sand too much.  I did need to sand some but not too much.

Next was to clean the surface and shoot the primer.

Next was the Milky White.

Masking for the blue was the most difficult part.  It isn't perfect but pretty decent.

The next step will be to put the pin stripes on.  I got a set of double stripes just incase my paint lines didn't come out too well and I could cover them with one of the lines.  I should get to the lines sometime tomorrow.  Then the clear coat which has to cure for 5+ days.  I will post the final pictures when the clear coat is on.

Update:

I went ahead and put the pin stripes on now too.

Angel inspecting

Update:

Although I cannot prove it, I think I might have been sent the matt/flat eggshell clearcoat. The KK8.  My cans say KK7 but the finish does not look high gloss; it looks satin.

Now I sprayed exactly according to the instructions but I do not see a high gloss finish.  

The paint kit came with 'light cut' polishing compound but ZERO instructions on how to use it.  Perhaps this is required to achieve the high gloss finish, but I am concerned about screwing up the paint job by doing something wrong.  I really don't want to paint this tank again.  I mean it looks decent the way it is but it does not have a HIGH gloss, ore really any gloss at all.

Update:

Well I just completed the project.  Sanding with wet 2000 and 2500 grit sand paper.  Then light cut polishing compound.  Next I installed my Intruder decals and finished it up with a coat of wax.  I think it turned out good.  I am glad this is done.

Final Product!

I probably could have done a bit more sanding.  It seems I had a pretty thick coat of clear on there.  It feels really nice and has a shine to it but you can still see some 'texture'.  For my very small amount of experience painting things, I am happy with it.

While carefully filling the tank with fuel a drop popped out on to the tank.  No effect.  Wiped right off and left no residue.  I guess the KK7 clear does its job.  I have a full can of clear that came with my package, but it is for areas that won't see fuel or solvents.

Here is my Clymers manual shot.  I have wanted this color Intruder since I bought my first Clymers years ago.  Now I finally have it.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Re: Step by Step: Painting gas tank with rattle can paint

Postby NE_FL » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:46 pm

I did this 36 ford pu with rattle cans, but it was a 20 footer. I'm sure your motorcycle
came out MUCH better.

Junebug51
Learning My Moped

Postby Junebug51 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:09 am

Looks great!
The older I get, the faster I was!

old time rider
Bike out of hock
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Postby old time rider » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:11 pm

NE_FL did not know who you were till the e-mail.Guess we both changed names for this place.Glad other old car nuts on this one allso :thumbup: .Thought I saw one had a old merc in his write up?You know much more than me about them and had more.Folks NE_FL has a 55 chevy 2DS the way I like them.Looks like it rolled out of a drive -in in the 60s.He had a great pic of his dad beside his 32 Ford five window coupe!That and the 32 roadster are the two most wanted street rods in the world I bet.Nice job on the 36.My 36 still had the hood and thats the only way I can tell a 35 and 36 Ford truck apart.Like the badge better on the 35 in the middle of hood like a 34 than the up front on the 36.If its old tin I like it.

98VS1400
Joined a 1200cc Club

Postby 98VS1400 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:41 pm

old time rider wrote:NE_FL did not know who you were till the e-mail.Guess we both changed names for this place.

Well, well, well. I didn't get an email, so I am still in the dark about who NE_FL is/was on the other board. Not that I would likely know since I was only there for the past year...

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Postby NE_FL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:43 pm

98VS1400: I guess ya don't read the New Members threads. Specifically, "taking the time." :lolfall:

:Umm:

98VS1400
Joined a 1200cc Club

Postby 98VS1400 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:52 pm

NE_FL wrote:98VS1400: I guess ya don't read the New Members threads. Specifically, "taking the time." :lolfall:

:Umm:

I did. I was the first commenter, but I did not revisit it. Thanks for pointing me back there!

skorpion15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800

Postby skorpion15 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:46 am

Nice job son, great that petrol spillage did not affect the finish, the petrol we have in the UK has a quite high percentage of ethanol, around 4 years ago I painted my Harley with " Gas Proof" clear coat and it was hopeless, on older bikes the ethanol eats into the rubber fuel lines as well.

Return to “How-to's for all motorcycles”