Intruder bobber no spark at the gaps

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Re: Intruder bobber no spark at the gaps

Post by Fred »

Don't run the revere rotation sensor wire to the hot of your solenoid. Yipes, that goes to stater side,-- You don't need that to get a spark.

Have you wired your kill switch in yet.

Bay
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Intruder 1400

Post by Bay »

Fred wrote:Don't run the revere rotation sensor wire to the hot of your solenoid. Yipes, that goes to stater side,-- You don't need that to get a spark.

Have you wired your kill switch in yet.
Yes im redoing the wiring again just to be exact plus im running as much oem stock parts as possible

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Bay wrote: Ok ill try again in morning. Does the crankshaft position sensor wire need to be grounded? Hooked up to power? I think i might have the B wire on wrong side of starter selunoid...remember im running a harness from scratch theres nothing there from oem harness
There are two crankshaft position sensors, one connected to the G and L wires, and the other to the Y and R wires. Both are needed to generate the timing signals necessary to generate spark, and neither should connect to ground. The B wire may be connected to either the terminal on the starter motor, or to the terminal on the starter relay that goes to the starter motor; that is electrically the same. If the engine somehow starts spinning backwards, it will drive the starter motor, which will act as a generator, but it's output will be negative; a negative Voltage at the ignitor will stop the spark. You can leave that pin on the ignitor disconnected, and will probably never need it, but there must be a reason Suzuki engineers thought it was needed.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Here is a more complete diagram for a stock '87 from the service manual:
Florissant, MO

Bay
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bay »

WintrSol wrote:Here is a more complete diagram for a stock '87 from the service manual:
Thank you didnt think an english version existed

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Bay wrote: Thank you didnt think an english version existed
It's in the factory service manual; some time ago I found an electronic copy, which really comes in handy for this kind of discussion.
Florissant, MO

Bay
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bay »

:bonk: just wanted to thank all those who replied to my questions and shared there knowledge & wisdom you guys know your stuff , after giving this some time I'm going to be tackling this bike again as it sits in my backyard and mocks me for not being able to start her. The only thing I can think of is a bad cdi or coils and yes again thank you all who shared there knowledge!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Here is a color coded one for a 90. The only difference between the 87 and the 90 is at the ignitor box. You can compare the wires there, but for everything else the color one is much easier to use.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Bay
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bay »

:clap: finally after almost a year if not more my 1987 intruder 1400 is once again alive!!! And like I wanted her bare minimum wiring. I used a cdi from a 1987 gsxr750 and bam spark so thanks to all who helped me get to this point

Babz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Vs1400

Post by Babz »

How did you hook the gsxr cdi unit up to the signal unit?

hillsy v2
BIKE REPOED!
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Babz wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:08 pm
How did you hook the gsxr cdi unit up to the signal unit?
Probably just plugged it in?

Ignitors were not that complex back in the late 80's - most had the same 4 pin plug for the pick-ups and a 6 pin plug (with usually only 4 wires) for the rest.

Babz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Vs1400

Post by Babz »

I have a Suzuki tri igniter here model 32900-43400 (I think from a gs550?) I’m trying to use in place of the old 87 igniter unit but the pins don’t match up and I can’t find a Pinot anywhere it looks like the gs550 had one wire pickups like a points system where the vs1400 uses a positive and negative pickup setup ?

hillsy v2
BIKE REPOED!
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Babz wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:39 pm
I have a Suzuki tri igniter here model 32900-43400 (I think from a gs550?) I’m trying to use in place of the old 87 igniter unit but the pins don’t match up and I can’t find a Pinot anywhere it looks like the gs550 had one wire pickups like a points system where the vs1400 uses a positive and negative pickup setup ?
I don't think you can use a points type CDI on an electronic ignition system. You'll need an ignitor off a similar vintage Suzuki to make it work.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I had a 1979 GS 550 that had points. I bought a junk 1980 GS550 that had electronic ignition. I pulled the timing plate from the 80 and installed it in the 79, it was a complete plug and play, connectors and all.

However, the ignitor box on the 1400 is different.

A while back I read about someone that was trying to use the ignitor box off of a mid 80s GS1100 on the 1400. I am not sure if they ever got it to work but if a person were to try it they would have to use both wiring diagrams and make sure they wired the parts in correctly.

Main point would be to get the trigger wires in correctly. Wire them backwards and they will never work. The manuals may have enough information to give you the idea of where each wire should go. There is also the issue of the correct wires to the coils. Put the coils wires on the wrong coil and it will never run.

Then add in the issue that the newer ign boxes change the timing depending on the signal from the boost sensor. not sure of the timing curve installed in the box. Using one off of a 4 cylinder bike may be made to run but it is doubtful the timing curve will be correct.

When I worked on military aircraft our books had a section on each system that covered the principals of operation. It went into depth about how signals were handled inside a box and what the output was supposed to do. We are at a major disadvantage because we don't have that information.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Here is some info that might help.