Hazard lights

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
akgrunt2006
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Intruder 1400

Hazard lights

Post by akgrunt2006 »

Hi I'm looking for some guidance on adding hazard flashing lights to the front and rear of my 03 VS1400 it only has 5,000 miles on it and I ride a lot at night coming home from work. I exercise proper motorcycle etiquette and when I see a bike broke down I pull over and see if I can help problem is at night that's very dangerous especially when people can barely see us as it is. Any help is greatly appreciated
I'm already going to hell, now its just all about the ride!

RSVP received from hell apparently my job is the tour bus driver.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Hazard lights

Post by WintrSol »

The simplest and safest, method is to use a separate relay with two poles (DPST or DPDT) and a switch to activate it. Connect the output wire from the flasher relay (or better, use a separate flasher relay) to the common side of both poles of the relay, and the normally open (NO) of each pole to each set of signal lights. The later model Suzukis ('04 and up, I think) just added a DPST switch, connected to the flasher relay and signal lights. They also added a diode circuit to the indicator, as one would when installing LED signals, so the warning light would flash, too.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I have a 98 VS 1400 and if you turn the key to the up position and pull it out the blinker will continue to flash. It does not let all four flash but may help.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Hazards are a pain in the ares. The use them in Thailand to say 'I am going straight on" well that might be ok if they work correctly. There is always the possibility one bulb is out,--it then looks like you are making a turn.

Thais also use them to denote the drive is incapable of driving and due care should be observed. ( only joking)

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Fred isn't joking when he say's that the Thai's use the hazards to signal they are going straight on at a junction. It really pisses me off when I can only see one flashing and think they are making a turn.
:hellfire: :hellfire:

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.