Hard Mounted Saddlebags

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
tbrewer
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Hard Mounted Saddlebags

Post by tbrewer »

I am looking into getting a set of bags from vikingbags.com and I was curious if anyone here has installed them on an intruder. If so, are there any issues with shock clearance and do the rear turn signals have to be relocated? It looks like the signals need to be moved and they offer a kit to do so, I'm just wondering if it is absolutely going to have to happen.

Here is a link to the bags I am looking at

https://www.vikingbags.com/suzuki-boule ... 6-prd1.htm

Thanks in advance!

Grandpa C
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 95 VS 800

Re: Hard Mounted Saddlebags

Post by Grandpa C »

From what I can see you will need to relocate the rear turn signals.
Remember a Woman loves a Man that can cook. :evil:

tbrewer
Tricycles are Cool

Post by tbrewer »

Yeah, I'm just going to relocate them. But, unfortunately, I have now run into a new problem that hopefully someone can help with. The mounting of hard bags on the 1400 is apparently weird. I emailed vikingbags and they sent me a copy of the mounting instructions and it looks a little weak to me. If anyone else has ever mounted hard bags instead of throwing them over, can you tell me how you did it and how sturdy it is?

Here is a link to the mounting instructions from vikingbags for the 1400.

https://www.vikingbags.com/content/pdf/ ... ackets.pdf

Thanks!

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

I have a set of Viking bags on my 1500LC and I'm pretty pleased with them. They didn't have a model specific bracket for the LC, so I had to use their generic bracket and it was still a breeze.

I would modify the instructions to say, once you've got the first bag marked and drilled, set it on the other bag and mark it through the holes. That way, even if they're not perfect, they'll be symmetrical.

I also had a problem with the supplied bolts - cheap cast chinese junk that wasn't even sharp enough to engage a wrench, and a couple weren't long enough to get through the fender with the sissy bar attachment on. Easily solved with a trip to the hardware store and $5 worth of bolts.

It's really not difficult to do, best overall advice is to take your time - measure twice and drill once - and enlist another set of hands and eyes if you can. Someone to hold it in place while you stand back and make sure it looks right to you.

As far as sturdiness: I'll never go back to through overs again. No flopping around or sagging under heavy loads. Also, the mounting bracket standoffs provide a great place to tie down seat and luggage rack loads. The next upgrade I'll probably do will be a set of their quick disconnects.

Good luck, post a pic when you've got them installed!

tbrewer
Tricycles are Cool

Post by tbrewer »

Joe A wrote:I have a set of Viking bags on my 1500LC and I'm pretty pleased with them. They didn't have a model specific bracket for the LC, so I had to use their generic bracket and it was still a breeze.

I would modify the instructions to say, once you've got the first bag marked and drilled, set it on the other bag and mark it through the holes. That way, even if they're not perfect, they'll be symmetrical.

I also had a problem with the supplied bolts - cheap cast chinese junk that wasn't even sharp enough to engage a wrench, and a couple weren't long enough to get through the fender with the sissy bar attachment on. Easily solved with a trip to the hardware store and $5 worth of bolts.

It's really not difficult to do, best overall advice is to take your time - measure twice and drill once - and enlist another set of hands and eyes if you can. Someone to hold it in place while you stand back and make sure it looks right to you.

As far as sturdiness: I'll never go back to through overs again. No flopping around or sagging under heavy loads. Also, the mounting bracket standoffs provide a great place to tie down seat and luggage rack loads. The next upgrade I'll probably do will be a set of their quick disconnects.

Good luck, post a pic when you've got them installed!
So did you have to use the bracket with the tabs like they sent me in the instructions?

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

No, they don't have one like that for the 1500 - I used the generic kit: https://www.vikingbags.com/hard-mount-k ... lebags.htm

Another tip for hardmounting saddlebags: don't remove both fender bolts at once - makes it a bitch to get it back together. Do one at a time.

WearySoldier
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki VS1400

Post by WearySoldier »

TBrewer

Did you ever get the hard bags mounted?? Seems no-one answered the original question!! Since so many accessories are not actually designed for the VS 1400, one is wary as to whether he/she can make it fit.

I have a large set of soft bags on 1400 which are pretty nice from JAFRUM. I did relocate the turn signals because I thought that would be nice. I created a U-shaped bracket and had it welded together and I sprayed it with Rust-Oleum, and mounted it behind the license with some bolts. Works just fine and looks nice. Can't see the bracket anyway so it does not need to be chromed.

Am curious if you succeeded in installing the hard mounting bracket as the instructions you gave the link to were not exactly clear! They advertise that the bags are for a 1400/S83, but the digram is quite lacking!

WS
Fight on Weary Solder the battle's almost done! :rock: