Carb cleaning

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
Inblues
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: S50 + VS 1400

Carb cleaning

Post by Inblues »

Hi all. I just bought 1988 VS 1400 with 7600 km. Bike was sitting in a garage for roughly 5 years. Engine turns and it did start for 30 seconds. I took carbs off and opened them up, inside is all green and dark black slimy sticky coating (don't know how to call it).
Can anyone tell me what to use to clean it or what is the best method to do it?
I read somewhere on net to boil them in mix of lemon juice and boiling water.... Did anyone try this? Any advice will be appreciated.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Re: Carb cleaning

Post by scootermcq »

Boiling is probably the best method. I used to use carb dip, the stuff smells horrible and does not do a very good job except getting the varnish out of the bowls.

Spray like:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotiv ... nt=Default

Is good for blowing through small passages and you sometimes need various sizes of fine wires to poke the crap through too. I find wire like from a wire brush to be fine enough for many of them and strong enough not to bend.

If you google it, there are a ton of "how to" sites out there.
Scott

Inblues
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: S50 + VS 1400

Post by Inblues »

Thanks Scott.
I did clean them yesterday. I didn't boil them even though I did read a lot on that. At friends garage he had some paint stripper that is used for stripping powder coating (not regular paint stripper). Don't remember name but will ask him and let you know. That thing cleaned it to the point that carbs look like new inside out. I didn't need to use any brush or nothing else. It didn't damage anything on a carbs, didn't get patina like boiling in lemon juice does (so far what I read about it on few sites), no discolouration what so ever. Brass jets did get discoloured but didn't do no damage to them what so ever.
I installed them and did synchronization, working like a charm.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

When are we gonna get Canadian Tire in the US? We lost Western Auto so there's a great opening for those Canuck stores!