Rebel Fuel tank mod for Suzuki 1400

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Rebel Fuel tank mod for Suzuki 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Rebell Fuel tank mod for Suzuki 1400

Post by sgtcall »

With the shortage of decent Intruder tanks today this may be a great option.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

I agree
One if the most sot after parts is the tank
and it dosnt look bad on the bike

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:39 am
I agree
One if the most sot after parts is the tank
and it dosnt look bad on the bike
I checked on those tanks and they run about $85 on amazon. If I was a guy that could weld there may be a little profit in converting a few of them for resale. I wonder how they would fit on the VS800? Almost seems like they would be more of a direct fit.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

I wonder if there's a Boulevarde tank that might fit better?

If you have to change all the mounts and the fuel tap location you could probably use a number of different tanks.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I think it looks great and should work well. The only thing I don't like about it is the 2.8 gallon capacity, but if a person is hurting for a tank it is a great option.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:53 pm

If you have to change all the mounts and the fuel tap location you could probably use a number of different tanks.
One may fit better but finding something for $85 would be impossible. The Boulevard tanks run in $500-$600 range.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:15 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:53 pm

One may fit better but finding something for $85 would be impossible. The Boulevard tanks run in $500-$600 range.
Yeah I get that but if you can't MIG / TIG / braze then you are paying someone to do that and then you're probably at the $500 mark.

Anyway - it does look pretty good on the bike. I do like that guy's videos.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

True the welding can be an added cost but it is still a cost effective modification to a very hard to find part
Getting rid of the over engineered fuel delivery system for a single hose from the tank to the fuel pump is a big plus

I enjoy his videos as well I"So easy even a caveman can do it" comes to mind
I have tried a V Star tank and a big tank off of a Yamaha 650 Both tanks dont have the clearance I want for the forks and honestly just look to fat

The rebel tank looks good on the 1400 and that regardless of the small capacity is a huge plus In my opinion

His approach to a problem is often entertaining and informative

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I had installed a petcock off of a GS 1000 on the tank my wife destroyed when she ran over my bike. It was one with the vacuum control on the valve for auto shut off. I t'd off the boost sensor vacuum line and had it at the back left side. The only issue was that I only had about 20 miles on reserve so I had to watch my fuel/mileage pretty close or carry an extra gallon on the bike. I usually carried extra because I have the trunk on the luggage rack.

When I replaced the tank I only turned the stock petcock around so that I could run regular fuel hose for the system.

The GS petcock was broken when the tank was pushed sideways and those damn things are expensive.

When I installed it I drilled 2 holes for the filter tubes and 2 for the metal screws I used to bolt it on I did buy a new gasket, o-ring type sanded the paint away to outside the gasket. I rode with it on for about a year and it worked well.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Rebel Fuel tank mod for Suzuki 1400

Post by Designer »

The skills of Fabrication/Welding/Brazing I see shown are not what the vast majority of Riders have.
And when one adds in the cost of Repainting to the costs of the custom fabrication/welding/brazing work and Tank purchase ....you'll definitely be at the $500-$600 mark or more
sgtcall wrote:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Rebel Fuel tank mod for Suzuki 1400

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:28 am
The skills of Fabrication/Welding/Brazing I see shown are not what the vast majority of Riders have.
And when one adds in the cost of Repainting to the costs of the custom fabrication/welding/brazing work and Tank purchase ....you'll definitely be at the $500-$600 mark or more
sgtcall wrote:

This is what you get for $300+ used. It still needs the dent repaired and paint. On top of that we don't know what the interior is like.

Probably end up with about the same cost as the rebel tank and have a new tank with no chance of rust.

When I replaced my tank, the one I got, 8 years ago, had a dent on the top but the inside was not real rusty. I spent a lot of time and effort taking out part of the dent then filling it and paint. At least on mine I could push much of the dent out by working through the fuel outlet hole.