How to extend / shorten switchblock wiring

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: How to extend / shorten switchblock wiring

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:48 pm
hillsy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:39 pm
....Your musing about corrosion is all good and well but it's kinda moot because the terminals inside the switchblocks are exposed anyway. If corrosion is going to affect the wiring ANYWHERE it's going to be there first and foremost.
No. again your a grasping at straws. You FAIL again to understand because of your limited knowledge of climate beyond your limited experience living in your Semi-arid climate. Best you learn more before making more mistakes. As I said,...the melted/ burnt Insulation at the soldered joints mid-wire is a bit more prone to corrosion that the Crimped-on terminals at the switch blocks inside the Switch covers.
I live in the sub-tropics you fucking idiot. The Tropic of Capricorn runs right through the middle of our state. Our rainfall right now and our ever present humidity are fucking ridiculous so I know a thing or two about corrosion by the elements.

And the terminals inside the switch blocks are SOLDERED...and DON'T HAVE HEATSHRINK - maybe you should take one apart and have a look sometime :lmao:
Designer wrote:

Good that you finally have stopped trying to BS your way out of your "superior soldering abilities". :wink:
I can only go by what you're telling me without actually seeing your work - telling me you end up with melted and burnt insulation only points to your soldering abilities being kinda shit.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:58 pm
Designer wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:39 pm
....Your musing about corrosion is all good and well but it's kinda moot because the terminals
I live in the sub-tropics you fucking idiot. The Tropic of Capricorn rights right through the middle of our state. Our rainfall right now and our ever present humidity are fucking ridiculous so I know a thing or two about corrosion by the elements.

And that much rainfall isn't 9-10 months out of the year,..you Sucking idiot.
hillsy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:58 pm
And the terminals inside the switch blocks are SOLDERED...and DON'T HAVE HEATSHRINK - maybe you should take one apart and have a look sometime
Not the ones I have. The wires are tinned,..and the terminals crimped.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:03 pm
Crimping a tinned wire? Great way to introduce fatigue and breakage.

You should use ferrules in that application.

You're welcome :ShitGrinandThumb:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:22 pm
Designer wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:03 pm
Crimping a tinned wire? Great way to introduce fatigue and breakage. You should use ferrules in that application.
You're welcome
First of all,....nope, you are mistaken about that, these connections have never had any problems. I never took them out of the Connector "Blocks"
when totally rewiring the 1400. I worked only with the Wires when lengthening them . Second of all,...this is from the FACTORY.

hillsy,. someone making a suggestion in a Tech Thread of yours is not a Threat to you or your content posted,...yet you attack and denigrate such information as if it is.

Especially uncalled for since herein my suggestion of using Heat Shrink is a product even YOU recommended!

That you denigrate and assault what was posted is clear indication that you have some sort of personality issues.

Best you take some time and re-think your attitude on this Board. You are dragging it down with your actions.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:19 am

First of all,....nope, you are mistaken about that, these connections have never had any problems. I never took them out of the Connector "Blocks"
when totally rewiring the 1400. I worked only with the Wires when lengthening them . Second of all,...this is from the FACTORY.

Are you talking about the wire terminations in the switchblock or the wires crimped to the pins in the connector blocks?

Either way, no manufacturer tins a wire then crimps it on to a pin - and there are no crimp connectors inside switchblocks.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:40 am
Are you talking about the wire terminations in the switchblock or the wires crimped to the pins in the connector blocks?
Either way, no manufacturer tins a wire then crimps it on to a pin - and there are no crimp connectors inside switchblocks.
Enough with your incessant Side-Show Arguments. All you want to do is bicker over small, nearly irrelevant issues...all so you can TRY to appear..."right"............just like you tried to do when you Dragged Down Pvt-nemeisis's Thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13484&start=114

hillsy,..you just are "Not Getting It." Now,..go to bed,...you are finished here.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Jeeze, what a bunch of crap about a simple wire splice that is so easy to do that a 10 year old can do it. ANYTIME a wire is spliced the connection needs to be protected it doesn't make a bit of difference if it is heat shrink, tape, liquid tape, or RTV as long as it is protected from shorting out and from the weather. I even use liquid tape or RTV on crimp connectors and have NEVER had an issue.

I hated the original key position so when the switch went bad I used a switch a switch off of a older 250 suzuki, built a bracket to mount it in the center of the handlebars. I cut and spliced the wires to get them up to the center of the bars. The connectors were all soldered and heat shrinked. The switch has been in there for 10 years and hasn't given a bit of trouble.

Mountain out of a molehill.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:42 am

Mountain out of a molehill.
Always is with Captain Butthurt.

And we KNOW he'll be back....he's always on a crusade over shit he doesn't have any knowledge about...and he doesn't know when to shut the fuck up.... :rag:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
...... ANYTIME a wire is spliced the connection needs to be protected it doesn't make a bit of difference if it is heat shrink, tape, liquid tape, or RTV as long as it is protected from shorting out and from the weather. I even use liquid tape or RTV on crimp connectors and have NEVER had an issue.
Only makes sense. :dunno: It's what a True Professional Mechanic would do! :ShitGrinandThumb:

But,...we have Captain Butthurt, Proven Wrong when his Side-show Arguments Crash Down Upon Him with FACTUAL REALITY like you just posted.

And we Know he'll be back....hillsy is on a crusade to appear as if he is....."The Burning Bush" ....of the Tech Board.

But,...when he's shown he really doesn't have much knowledge about what he posts about, (as we see here and in the Thread by Pvt-nemesis)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13484&start=114

......... he doesn't know when to shut the Phuck up.

:popcorn:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

:funnylast: As predicted.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:22 am
As predicted.
Yup,...The Arrogant "Mr. I'm Always Right because I am a mechanic"...Asshole posts more ignorant off-topic side-show argument crap,...

All while ignoring that what Herb said about Heat Shrink is exactly the opposite of his shit .
Now THAT'S what A True Professional Mechanic does, eh? :lmao:
Herb wrote:
...... ANYTIME a wire is spliced the connection needs to be protected it doesn't make a bit of difference if it is heat shrink, tape, liquid tape, or RTV as long as it is protected from shorting out and from the weather. I even use liquid tape or RTV on crimp connectors and have NEVER had an issue.

hillsy just doesn't know when to shut the Phuck up. :dunno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:34 am

All while ignoring that what Herb said about Heat Shrink is exactly the opposite of his shit .
Now THAT'S what A True Professional Mechanic does, eh? :lmao:
Herb wrote:
You even quoted where Herb said he uses "anything" as long as it's insulated.

The loom in my tutorial is STILL INSULATED BY THE FUCKING SHEATHING.

Just another example of you being a fuckwit and destroying a technical thread because you feel you need to gain some sort of "one-upmanship" against anything I post.

It's old and it's boring and it brings this place down.

You should really just keep that shit in the Political / Propaganda folders where you MIGHT have a better chance at being right :Cool: