I messed up.

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

I messed up.

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Between weather, work and some health issues, I've ridden my LC so little that I let some ethanol fuel sit in my LC 's tank too long. I found out yesterday when I tried to take it for a ride. She'll start and run, but skips and sputters constantly. And favors having the choke out a little until she's good and hot. But it has stage 3 jetting and runs really lean anyhow, so a lot of choke is needed until the motor is warmed up. Tried to siphon the fuel out, but it seems an impossibility .... something obstructs me from getting a hose down into it far enough. How hard is it to pull the fuel cell on an LC? I guess I'm gonna have to skin her down and find out. I need to dump that sh*t out and get some fresh fuel into her. If that doesn't work the carbs will have to come off too, I guess. Been there, done that, but never pulled the fuel cell. Any other words of wisdom or advice aimed at getting her running properly will be greatly appreciated too. I'm not a motorcycle wrench by any measure, but quite adept at following good instructions. [space] :rag:
lovineveryminuteofit

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: I messed up.

Post by navigator »

Can you pull the hose from the petcock, install a drain hose to a can, and drain a majority of it there?
Then add new fuel with a few ounces of Seafoam.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

I have never had to pull my tank or pump but IIRC you remove the seat and you can access the pump. You should be able to pull it and siphon the gas out.

The question is how much is in there? Is it full? If not, why not just fill it with Seafoam and good gas to dilute the stale/old gas?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Seafoam and other fuel system cleaners rated for ethanol will soak up most of the water/ethanol mix that settled to the bottom, and mix it with the rest. I'd put in twice the 'normal' dose (usually 1 ounce per gallon) for a few tanks to clean it out.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

If by pet cock you mean the fuel shut off, no such thing on the on LC and it's full of fuel. I imagine I'll have to pull faux tank, seat and the side covers too just to find out where the bolts are. I assume the fuel pump is inside the fuel cell. No? Already dumped a whole can of Sea Foam in it. Not helping.
lovineveryminuteofit

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

Yes, I have the same problem with a sports car that hasn't been driven over the winter. That ethanol is bad to let sit in one over the winter or hot summer either one.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The pump is under the LHS fake tank.

I've never pulled the tank in an LC so I can't help you with that either..... however..... if you remove the seat you will have access to the fuel line so you should be able to disconnect and siphon out most of the old fuel from the tank. I wouldn't recommend pumping it out with the fuel pump.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Ain't happening. I bought a small 3/8 OD diameter tube and can't even get it far enough down to reach fried. There's some sort of grid or stop inside the fuel neck that blocks it. The tank will have to come off when I can get around to it.
lovineveryminuteofit

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You shouldn't need to take the tank out.

Take off the seat..... disconnect the fuel draw hose..... connect your hose and siphon out the tank...... add a gallon of fresh fuel to the tank and repeat the process.... maybe do it twice if you are paranoid..... add a new fuel filter (or clean it out if you have a Pingel)..... then fill the tank up and ride / call it good.

[emoji106]

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

How did you get on with this?