Tank rust removal

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Tank rust removal

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Ok, so I've been cleaning out the tanks for both of my bikes.

What I used:
*Rust-Oleum rust dissolver (fast working chemical I've tried so far)
*BB's
*Distilled water

Most of you already know the process, so to keep it short, I dumped in a buttload of BB's, dumped in half the container of the 32oz rust remover. Shook it to hell and back. My neighbors probably hate me, but that's ok, I hate them too.

My Intruder tank wasn't that bad, but the rust was noticeable....my shadow tank on the other hand, you could barely see the metal in the tank. Just rust. Now, on both tanks, I can only see the smallest, most miniscule dots of what's rust/crystalized gas. I see so many other posts online of people using different chemicals, but this stuff literally worked in a matter of hours, compared to other people's projected times of 3 or so days of repeating the process.

My only concern now, is that after i rinse the tanks out with distilled water, after a while I see little pockets or streaks of rust start to form again. How do I keep this from happening? Should I just use methyl alcohol rinse the tanks instead? I'm keeping them inside the house after flushing them, so humidity shouldn't really be. Problem.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Tank rust removal

Post by Herb »

Even inside a house rust caused by humidity will always be a problem, unless you treat with a rust preventative or some type of oil. There are a number of products that can be used to protect the tanks until use.

don't use any type of product that hardens, if you use a petroleum product it will be easy to flush when ready to use the tank.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Post by ClassicfnRD »

My Suzuki tank seems to be maintaining it's integrity now, but I may just need to do a rinse and repeat on the Honda tank. That one was the worst. I understand rust can form over time inside, but rust was reforming in a matter of hours. It was just frustrating. I'm thinking of eventually lining the tank with that Kreem stuff, or whatever it's called. Seemed to work good in my old Vulcan, but I have heard reports of it coming off after a while and making it's way through the fuel system.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

If the rust isn't too bad, I've had luck with this: http://www.eastwood.com/rust-remover-ea ... -etch.html
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

kreem works pretty good but if you don't have all of the rust out first, the tank will continue to rust underneath it. This loosens the kreem and causes all kinds of problems, including the tank rusting through.

On my 87, before the alcohol gas, my tank rusted out at the back left, water was laying in the back of the tank. I welded the tank up and used kreem. I thought I had the rust pretty well out. A few years later it started leaking again. When I sanded through the paint. the whole lower rear part of the tank was swiss cheese. the kreem was all loose inside that part of the tank.

I had to cut out a big chunk of the seft rear and we remade it out of fiberglass.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I always just fogged them with spray oil after blowing them dry, when descaling...