GS1100 carb problem

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

GS1100 carb problem

Post by Herb »

I have a 1983 GS1100GK It has spent most of its life parked, it only has 18,000 miles on it and I have put over 12,000 of those miles on it.

I recently had an issue with carbs flooding and gas pouring out of the airbox. Thought it was bad needle valves or seats. put kits in all 4 carbs, including new valves and seats. Rode it about 500 miles with no problems. Then about 150 miles into a day trip it started pouring gas out of the airbox. Got it home and it sat for a couple of days, went to work on it and it wouldn't do it. Then the next time I went to ride it, it leaked bad.

Decided that it must have a bad float. Ordered a complete set of floats, installed them, still leaking gas out of the #1 carb. Tried adjusting the float to a lower setting (higher number), went way beyond the max and it still leaked. Swapped the float to another carb, no fix still #1 carb leaking fuel out the throat. Swapped the float bowl with a different carb, no fix. finally decided I had a bad needle and/or seat, swapped it with the # 2 carb to try to prove my theory. WHOLE flipping problem has gone away. I have ran almost a full tank of fuel, about 200 miles, with no problem. HOWEVER I don't trust the bike out of the local area, which really sucks with a touring bike.

Has anyone ever ran into this type of an issue? Any ideas rather than buying a whole set of carbs?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: GS1100 carb problem

Post by old time rider »

You have covered about all I ever try.You seem a better wrench than me. These are CV carbs right? The rubber d-fram in top has been checked for small cut etc.,was it part of the kit? Some times even new parts are bad! I had a old flip bike a GS550 that had not been touched in five years I never got right.It would flood one carb,wet the plug.Be running perfect and if you had to back of the throttle at high speed fast would do it most every time.Sold it to a young but great wrench kid telling him about it.Turned out it was a real small break in the rubber top,guess the long sleep did it? You all ready rebuilt yours so not a clue? Had a five years in a basement 650 Seca that did great after just a carb clean.Put 52,000 trouble free miles on it after that.Good Luck.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The first time I tore the carbs down I checked the diaphragms for holes/cuts/tears and they were all good.

I guess I forgot to mention that this thing runs gas out of the carb throat just sitting there.

It has one of the vacuum operated fuel valves, so without the engine running it doesn't leak, until I turn it to prime, then the gas will run out of the carb throat.

Because of this I don't think it is related to the rubber diaphragms.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

That 650 Seca I got after a five year rest did that on the left carb that was the lowest with it on side stand those five year. But the good cleaning was all it needed.Pin pointed the trouble carb on the 550 as the second on bank from the left ,but like you never got it right but that kid did! [emoji2] Sure you are better wrench than me Herb.Sure you have all ready did the SeaFoam try at it and any other good cleaners you like,BUT that much gas just don't sound like dirt IMO.Good luck.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

What bothers me is the way it comes and goes. Can't trust it.