Tire question

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Vs1400

Tire question

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok, friday had a flat, cant get it to air up, dunno what i hit, but n e ways, going to just get a new tire....my question is this....bike has an Avon venom x on rear, tire says tubeless on outside, has a 90 degree valve stem looks to be a nut on inside and outside of rim....so would it really be tubeless or could it also have a tube in it? dun't wanna buy a tire and then need a tube...

:bang:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Tire question

Post by hillsy »

You really wont know for sure until you remove the tyre - spoked rims can be converted to tubeless by running sealant over the spoke nipples.

I'm assuming it's a spoked wheel, and not cast alloy, right?

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Correct both front and rear

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

It's pretty much impossible to get tube type tyres in the correct size for these bikes any more so you run tubeless tyres with tubes. Or you can seal the rims and run them tubeless.....but that's a lot of mucking around for not much benefit.

Does the nut on the valve stem press down onto a rubber washer or does it just go straight onto the rim? If there's no rubber seal of any kind then it's got a tube.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Most likely has a tube, and unless the tire is seriously damaged, you only need a tube not a tube and tire.
JMO.

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

I will have to look when i get home this evening, but just from inspection memory, I dun't remember a rubber washer on valve stem, soooo I am thinking it's a tube & that makes me happy, I can do that work myself.

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok So I got home yesterday evening, got the bike jacked up, removed the back wheel (first time with a shaft drive) looked & sure enough, it's a tube inside the tire, YAY!!!!, so i will get the tube replaced & be back on the road......this made my night, also pleased the ol lady that instead of 170.00 total repair cost it is more like 50 total cost or less. when Momma is happy the world is a lot less darker , IMHO

:cheers: :clap: :HatTip: :putput: