Ghost fuel line?

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Ghost fuel line?

Post by 1sttightwad »

Discovered a fuel leak dripping on the frame member behind the rear cylinder that holds the muffler bracket.. Ran my hand up inside, kinda like doing a colonoscopy blind folded. I found a "fuel" line by feel that it was coming from.. The 06 S83 manual fuel diagram does not show any such animal. It was ragged on the dripping end... does anyone know what this is where it is supposed to be going. My bike is an 08 S83 VS1400.. I don't need fuel dripping on a hot exhaust pipe for sure. Any help will greatly appreciated for shedding some light on my Ghost fuel line. Dave

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Ghost fuel line?

Post by Lechy »

Probably the condensate drain from the rear airbox. At least it would be on the 800's.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Thanks.. :clap: but it is gas that is leaking.. Caught some in my magnetic parts holder and put it on the burn pile.. lit right up with smoke..Guess that is how this ethanol/gas burns. Siphoned out from my truck a few months ago with a hose and got a bit in my mouth.. Did not taste like the gas I remember, been a long time since I needed to siphon gas.. Took a lot of hacking and spitting to get that nasty taste out.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

:confused: Can not help you but have siphoned a few times in the past.Really guess not enough as never learned to like the taste of any of it! :tongue: :putput: Good luck and maybe filling too high?

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Level in the tank makes no difference.. Leaks when the fuel valve is on.or on reserve.. Only when turned off does it stop...Bike runs fine so it is getting gas..Just wonder why there is gas coming from a line that does not show on the 06 Service Manual as part of the fuel supply lines.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

There are also carb overflow tubes, in case the float valves do not close properly. Front carb is #13, I think: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... etor-front
I think it is #32 on the rear: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... retor-rear
If either is dripping with the fuel valve on, you have a problem.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Super thanks Wintrsol . I think you may have hit the nail on the head.. I am going to see if I can feel my way along the hose or remove the gas tank etc., to take a look see... IF that is the case am I looking at a carb rebuild? I have no idea how much that would cost.. As a side note, I have been having to run the bike on Full choke to get it running and leaving it there.. Would leaving the choke on for a prolonged time cause the "flooding" resulting in an overflow condition. Hmm. :bow: :clap: Dave from DEEP SOUTH Georgia..

PS.. A side note to other posters and guests... I have posted on many "hobby" web sites in the past.. One thing that rings true on every single one is that those who post are the most un-selfish people in the world and willingly will help a fellow member with their problems. Two heads are better than one.. Right... Now add several hundred more and then you have a knowledge base that cannot be matched. Thanks again to all that took their time to respond to my question.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

You are more than Welcome :HatTip: .Really more of my answers are the wise ass kind instead of help full from me :bonk: Better to laugh than cry IMO..We all cain't be smart but glad we have a few. [emoji106] My old 96 1400 was just a wet spot on the petcock before I caught it.My old Harley next to it got the blame when I was just smelling a bit of fresh gas. Looked it over but then went to turn on 1400 next day and bare finger got a drop. Was under warranty still ..Dealer was really over loaded and I had worked at the place a few hours a week way before. "Just give it to me and I will put it on" ,told him. About two months later got a letter from Suzuki they had a recall on a few and mine was one so bring in. [emoji2] Good luck. :putput:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

You shouldn't need a rebuild, but should check the float levels. Could be you just have some dirt in one of the float valves that you can shake out. You can attach a bit of clear tubing to the carb drain and turn it up alongside the carb, in a U shape, and open the drain. The fuel in the tube will rise to about the level in the carb, which should be below the bowl seat on the rear carb - consult the service manual on the correct level. The front carb is more complicated, but you can check it the same way, but it will rise ~1/4 the way from the bottom of the bowl. This is what it looks like on the vS800 - the 1400 carb is similar, but consult the manual:
Florissant, MO

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

The need for enrichment could be stuff in the idle passages; I'd run something like Seafoam, Techron, or similar cleaner through a tank, just to avoid taking the carbs out for cleaning. Sometimes, it works! [emoji106]
Florissant, MO

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Bought some a/c disclosure oil and borrowed the black light from my family mechanic.. Put it in the line right out of the tank petcock and waited. Sure enough the drips came and then it was a game of pong, drip bouncing off of.. and then drip bouncing off of, I think I have it narrowed down to some part right under the seat.. It was dark, had no supper and worked all day so I will take a look in the morn after I take the seat off again to get a better view.. Thanks so much for ALL of the input... Dave...Deep South Georgia.. Perhaps this "hunt" may be of value for others in the future..

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Took the black light today and it is definitely coming from a tube which you mentioned is possibly the carb overflow tube.. That would indicate at first blush that my floats may be stuck in a open condition which would cause the fuel to leak whether running or not. .. I will try the cleaner chemicals again.. this time taking the fuel line off and pouring directly in the carb intake line.and let it sit over night and hope that alleviates the overflowing condition.. Dave from Deep South Georgia.
Thanks again Wintrsol and all others.. :clap: