How to replace a speedo?

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
DannyAl
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

How to replace a speedo?

Post by DannyAl »

Hey guys I'm new here and have a 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 and I want to replace the original speedo that she has but it's busted. The cable is perfectly fine. It's just the speedo itself that needs to be replaced. I have gotten another used speedo of the same bike from ebay and I want to replace it. Do I have to take off the head light in order to do it? If any of you guys have pictures or something to show me, i would greatly appreciate it. I'm still learning about doing stuff to my bike and I just don't want to ruin something. Better be safe than sorry [emoji2]

Side note: I know she has a ding on the tank lol I'm also planning on repainting her black

Lets ride.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: How to replace a speedo?

Post by Lechy »

Yep, pull the headlight, the speedo is bolted on under the upper tree.
Did you check the drive on the wheel? Mine failed a while back, the problem was the small drive plate had worn tangs.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

The speedo comes out of its pod. Look at the picture it has 2 screws, undo these and take off the cable.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Try it Fred's way. You will have a load of fun.
[emoji41]

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I would also say check the drive unit first. If you can get the front wheel off the ground disconnect the cable from the speedo and spin the wheel to see if the end of the cable moves. If it doesn't move the drive unit is bad. If you can't get the wheel up disconnect the cable and take it for a short ride and see if the cable is moving or not. Drive units can be cleaned and rebuilt in some cases but replacing it altogether is easy.

Part number 7
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/S ... parts.html

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:Try it Fred's way. You will have a load of fun.
[emoji41]
freddie is correct, disconnect the cable, pull the 2 screws and lift it out of the housing. There are rubber grommets and washers for the 2 screws, careful you don't lose them.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Way I read it was that the guy wanted to remove the whole unit not just the clock.
[emoji41]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

The problem is the speedo cable, if it's the original not so much, but if it is an aftermarket one with a short fitting it is a real bastid to get back on without removing the whole unit.

[emoji41]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:The problem is the speedo cable, if it's the original not so much, but if it is an aftermarket one with a short fitting it is a real bastid to get back on without removing the whole unit.

[emoji41]
Take the cable loose from the bottom and pull it up through the housing... However, his pic shows the stock cable.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.