05 s83 pops

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

05 s83 pops

Post by pmhearns12 »

Just bought an 05 s83 GORGEOUS condition. Not a sxratch, no corrosion or rust. Needs tires but bike looks showroom. Only 4600 miles, got it for 2300$.

In low rpm the rear cylender(1) pops, Also when letting off throttle. It idles a little rough and hesitates occasionally while getting going. I have never ridden a vtwin, so I don't know how much power it should have, I have only ridden a gsxr600. The bike feels torquey but still like it's got more to give but cant.. but I feel like(and hope) the carbs are gunked up? Again I'm new to vtwins and carburetor engines aside from my son's 50cc. Please insight!

Edit... goes "bububububu pop bububububu pop bububububu bububububu pop pop bububububu pop.

Also, front carb sounds very airy. A loud sucking sound when cracking it in low rpm.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: 05 s83 pops

Post by WintrSol »

Low mileage means it has sat a lot, so since it is running, you may just need to clear out some built up gunk. Try a tank or two with a good fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam, Techron, Lucas, whatever you fancy. The next likely need is a good sync of the carburetors, both the idle sync cable and the throttles; you lose a lot of performance if one cylinder is doing most of the work. Vibration will drop with a good sync, too.

Also, check the air filters, as they will deteriorate over time, and can be drawn into the intakes.

BTW, if you add your general location, someone on the forum may live near enough to give a hand.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

The sore point in old bikes or bikes that have stayed out in the sun most the time is rubber parts going bad IMO. Carb boots have often been bad on old bikes I have got.The old ones with out boots and may be a inside O ring for a seal seem to be lots better with age.
If the tires have age or sun cracks the carb boots maybe shot allso.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

98VS1400 wrote:
WintrSol wrote:Low mileage means it has sat a lot, so since it is running, you may just need to clear out some built up gunk. Try a tank or two with a good fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam, Techron, Lucas, whatever you fancy. The next likely need is a good sync of the carburetors, both the idle sync cable and the throttles; you lose a lot of performance if one cylinder is doing most of the work. Vibration will drop with a good sync, too.

Also, check the air filters, as they will deteriorate over time, and can be drawn into the intakes.

BTW, if you add your general location, someone on the forum may live near enough to give a hand.
This ^^^, plus a tweak of that carbs A/F mixture screw might smooth it out. Check for any vacuum leaks on the carb boot too.

Yeah good idea on the fuel cleaner. I have to do a bit of research on how to service and adjust the carburetor. And I just ordered new air filters and changed the oil and spark plugs. Do I need a special tool to sync the carbs?

Hopefully throughout the week I can get this bike figured out and running smooth

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

The vacuum port adapters will be 5mm thread; also, when using dial gauges, it helps to connect both to a common vacuum source (like a MityVac) and carefully adjust them to a good match, or just write down the difference at various positions from about 5 to 15" vacuum.

BTW, this subject has been covered many times in the 1400 and 800 sections of the forum; look there for tips.
Florissant, MO

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

WintrSol wrote:The vacuum port adapters will be 5mm thread; also, when using dial gauges, it helps to connect both to a common vacuum source (like a MityVac) and carefully adjust them to a good match, or just write down the difference at various positions from about 5 to 15" vacuum.

BTW, this subject has been covered many times in the 1400 and 800 sections of the forum; look there for tips.
Yeah repeat topics keep forums alive and kicking lol. And thanks for the help, I'll be able to research all the suggestions and get her running well. And FYI I'm not completely hopeless, I built a few car engines and customized my gsxr a few years ago. But as I stated before, this vtwin carb stuff is new.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Carb synch, click the link. Not the best but will give you a good idea.

http://intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4139

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

You should be aware, then, that the cable from the throttle grip enters a splitter under the tank; if it is mis-handled, one or the other cables down to the carbs can jump out of the plastic bit than connects them to the cable from the grip. Something else to check: the 'choke' cables, where they enter the carbs; the enrichment valves can stick open, and the plastic parts break off. These two can be easily over-looked, and cause all sorts of amusement to the one trying to sort it all out.
Florissant, MO

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

WintrSol wrote:You should be aware, then, that the cable from the throttle grip enters a splitter under the tank; if it is mis-handled, one or the other cables down to the carbs can jump out of the plastic bit than connects them to the cable from the grip. Something else to check: the 'choke' cables, where they enter the carbs; the enrichment valves can stick open, and the plastic parts break off. These two can be easily over-looked, and cause all sorts of amusement to the one trying to sort it all out.
This is curious. The comment about the choke cables. Before I took my bike in, the choke knob would turn completely and settle(not so much of a 'click' but a subtle relief in tension while turning) with the choke icon directly up wards. Now, the choke knob stops dead and the choke icon is at between 10 and 11 of clock. The choke still functions but could one of those plastics broke causing it to stop choking fully?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

pmhearns12 wrote:
WintrSol wrote:You should be aware, then, that the cable from the throttle grip enters a splitter under the tank; if it is mis-handled, one or the other cables down to the carbs can jump out of the plastic bit than connects them to the cable from the grip. Something else to check: the 'choke' cables, where they enter the carbs; the enrichment valves can stick open, and the plastic parts break off. These two can be easily over-looked, and cause all sorts of amusement to the one trying to sort it all out.
This is curious. The comment about the choke cables. Before I took my bike in, the choke knob would turn completely and settle(not so much of a 'click' but a subtle relief in tension while turning) with the choke icon directly up wards. Now, the choke knob stops dead and the choke icon is at between 10 and 11 of clock. The choke still functions but could one of those plastics broke causing it to stop choking fully?
It's kind of a PITA, but I would check them. I don't think there is any way to adjust them, but if one has popped out of the holder, I could see it behaving like that.
Florissant, MO

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

No one asked some of the important questions.
Are the exhaust pipes stock?
What do the spark plugs look like?
Are the A/F caps off?
Have you gotten a look at the air filter like it was asked before?

In my experience with fuel additive, do not use too much at once. I love Seafoam, but only use a shot glass full per tank. Too much will clean out too much and give you bigger issues. :bang:

Also, front carb sounds very airy. A loud sucking sound when cracking it in low rpm.
I would lay my last dollar on the fact that you have no air filter in the front carb air box!
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

wj_hurd wrote:No one asked some of the important questions.
Are the exhaust pipes stock?
What do the spark plugs look like?
Are the A/F caps off?
Have you gotten a look at the air filter like it was asked before?

In my experience with fuel additive, do not use too much at once. I love Seafoam, but only use a shot glass full per tank. Too much will clean out too much and give you bigger issues. :bang:

I would lay my last dollar on the fact that you have no air filter in the front carb air box!
Stock pipes, stock jets as far as I know. Plugs are new, both air filters have been replaced with oem filters when I got it serviced. I wouldn't have been surprised if the elements were trash when they pulled them out. I have yet to check the a/f caps. Will do this weekend. I have been running 87octsne and it does run a little better. I'm slowly getting into understanding this more and more, thanks brothers

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

I have been running 87 octane and it does run a little better.

Now that's a long standing argument about octane. Personally I run 91 octane pure gas (Non-ethanol) or 93 octane if I cant find pure gas. Personal choice and my ASS :moon: dyno says my bike runs better on the good stuff.
Now to each their own, but I'd try some better gas and see how she runs after that. You might be surprised. [emoji106]

Stock pipes huh? Get some Cobra's, Jardines, or Vance's on that baby and make her talk! You'll love it trust me! There is even a tech article on how to make your own pipes here in the tech section! :putput: :evil:

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

wj_hurd wrote:I have been running 87 octane and it does run a little better.

Now that's a long standing argument about octane. Personally I run 91 octane pure gas (Non-ethanol) or 93 octane if I cant find pure gas. Personal choice and my ASS :moon: dyno says my bike runs better on the good stuff.
Now to each their own, but I'd try some better gas and see how she runs after that. You might be surprised. [emoji106]

Stock pipes huh? Get some Cobra's, Jardines, or Vance's on that baby and make her talk! You'll love it trust me! There is even a tech article on how to make your own pipes here in the tech section! :putput: :evil:
I was running 91 non ethanol, but why run higher ethanol on a bike with lower compression? I would assume the lower octane would give the opportunity to burn the entire amount of fuel with normal heat plugs. Compression is low 9s on this bike, why run higher octane??

And trust me, I love the sound of the drag pipes, my neighbors wouldn't especially since I leave the house around 430 am sometimes lol. Not to mention that's more cash I'd have to dish out.... and yes yes yes, I LOVE the sound of the cobra drag pipes lol

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

I was running 91 non ethanol, but why run higher ethanol on a bike with lower compression? I would assume the lower octane would give the opportunity to burn the entire amount of fuel with normal heat plugs. Compression is low 9s on this bike, why run higher octane??

I'm aware of the lower compression our 1400's produce. Again with my personal findings and how my bike runs, Ifeel it runs much better on the higher octane and even better on the pure gas. The cost is minimal between them for the 3 gallons I pump into my tank.
I have run 87 oct and my bike pings, and spark knocked like a bitch. My MPG dropped from 40+ to just barely 30. Went back to the higher grade, everything smoothed out and MPG went back up.
Again, my personal findings. :OhNo;

My bike is running richer, I have opened up the A/F screws, K&N air filters, Jardine Drag pipes, and designer springs. I usually will bounce my RPM's off the rev limiter some, just cuz I can! :rag:

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Haha, nice. I am ordering my designer Springs this weekend on top of checking my af screws: )

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

wj_hurd wrote:

I'm aware of the lower compression our 1400's produce. Again with my personal findings and how my bike runs, Ifeel it runs much better on the higher octane and even better on the pure gas. The cost is minimal between them for the 3 gallons I pump into my tank.
I have run 87 oct and my bike pings, and spark knocked like a bitch. My MPG dropped from 40+ to just barely 30. Went back to the higher grade, everything smoothed out and MPG went back up.
Again, my personal findings. :OhNo;

My bike is running richer, I have opened up the A/F screws, K&N air filters, Jardine Drag pipes, and designer springs. I usually will bounce my RPM's off the rev limiter some, just cuz I can! :rag:

OK so now I feel like a real heel, lol. I noticed a small 'ticking' sound, almost like a loose piece of thin metal vibrating and touching something, is this ping and or knock? It went away once the motor was warm, also, time to really get my carbs synced again and or adjust fuel screw, I'm steadily getting more and more pops again from both jugs, as well as the front header is blueing slightly. :/

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

pmhearns12 wrote: OK so now I feel like a real heel, lol. I noticed a small 'ticking' sound, almost like a loose piece of thin metal vibrating and touching something, is this ping and or knock? It went away once the motor was warm, also, time to really get my carbs synced again and or adjust fuel screw, I'm steadily getting more and more pops again from both jugs, as well as the front header is blueing slightly. :/
Pre-ignition knock occurs when an engine is hot and under load, not when cold. If an engine meant to run 87 octane in pinging, either the fuel is really not 87, or there is carbon build-up getting hot and acting like a glow plug, igniting the fuel before the spark. That said, the engine will run better on pure gas, just because of the way it burn as compared to that with ethanol mixed in, especially if the amount is more than 10%.

Your ticking sound, when cold, is probably the lifters.
Florissant, MO

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

WintrSol wrote:
pmhearns12 wrote: OK so now I feel like a real heel, lol. I noticed a small 'ticking' sound, almost like a loose piece of thin metal vibrating and touching something, is this ping and or knock? It went away once the motor was warm, also, time to really get my carbs synced again and or adjust fuel screw, I'm steadily getting more and more pops again from both jugs, as well as the front header is blueing slightly. :/
Pre-ignition knock occurs when an engine is hot and under load, not when cold. If an engine meant to run 87 octane in pinging, either the fuel is really not 87, or there is carbon build-up getting hot and acting like a glow plug, igniting the fuel before the spark. That said, the engine will run better on pure gas, just because of the way it burn as compared to that with ethanol mixed in, especially if the amount is more than 10%.

What's there to do about that? Aren't the adjustments hydraulically controlled?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

pmhearns12 wrote:
WintrSol wrote:

What's there to do about that? Aren't the adjustments hydraulically controlled?
While some hydraulic lifters have adjustments, many do not. The 1400 has an automatic lash adjuster, referenced on page 3-37 of the service manual. Like anything else, as they acquire wear, the oil will drain from them when sitting, and they have to pump back up with oil to begin working again.

I suppose the decomp system can cause ticking, too, if not adjusted well.
Florissant, MO