05 s83 pops

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: 05 s83 pops

Post by Herb »

WintrSol wrote:
pmhearns12 wrote:
WintrSol wrote:
pmhearns12 wrote: OK so now I feel like a real heel, lol. I noticed a small 'ticking' sound, almost like a loose piece of thin metal vibrating and touching something, is this ping and or knock? It went away once the motor was warm, also, time to really get my carbs synced again and or adjust fuel screw, I'm steadily getting more and more pops again from both jugs, as well as the front header is blueing slightly. :/
Pre-ignition knock occurs when an engine is hot and under load, not when cold. If an engine meant to run 87 octane in pinging, either the fuel is really not 87, or there is carbon build-up getting hot and acting like a glow plug, igniting the fuel before the spark. That said, the engine will run better on pure gas, just because of the way it burn as compared to that with ethanol mixed in, especially if the amount is more than 10%.

Your ticking sound, when cold, is probably the lifters.
What's there to do about that? Aren't the adjustments hydraulically controlled?
While some hydraulic lifters have adjustments, many do not. The 1400 has an automatic lash adjuster, referenced on page 3-37 of the service manual. Like anything else, as they acquire wear, the oil will drain from them when sitting, and they have to pump back up with oil to begin working again.

I suppose the decomp system can cause ticking, too, if not adjusted well.
When I tried running 20W50, in my 1400 I had the same problem, the oil was too thick to work through the small passages of the lash adjuster, when the engine was cold. Clicked like mad until warmed up. Went back to the 10W40 and the problem went away.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.