Taking off side panels and seat

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
billval70
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS1400

Taking off side panels and seat

Post by billval70 »

I bought a 94 Suzuki Intruder VS1400, I love it so far but cannot figure out how to take the side plates and seat off.... something I've never had a problem with on any of my other bikes... I looked it up on YouTube and only saw 1 video but it was for an 800 or something but said there was a screw between the gas tank and seat on the right hand side (from sitting position) problem is this bike does not have the screw in the video on either side is there some "trick" I'm missing that's probably so obvious that when I find out I'll want to slap myself??? Please help a brain injured vet to figure this probably only a problem for me LOL!!!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Re: Taking off side panels and seat

Post by m2h »

billval70 wrote:I bought a 94 Suzuki Intruder VS1400, I love it so far but cannot figure out how to take the side plates and seat off.... something I've never had a problem with on any of my other bikes... I looked it up on YouTube and only saw 1 video but it was for an 800 or something but said there was a screw between the gas tank and seat on the right hand side (from sitting position) problem is this bike does not have the screw in the video on either side is there some "trick" I'm missing that's probably so obvious that when I find out I'll want to slap myself??? Please help a brain injured vet to figure this probably only a problem for me LOL!!!
Hey bud, no worries if its stock pull the small pad off the sissy bar an you'll find a lock underneath (ignition key!) Take out the plastic plate and you may or may not find yourself a tool kit. Look down in there and find a rubber pad thingy and pull it out. If its gone you'll see a 10mm bolt head. If you have the two piece seat just undo the bolt and lift the pillion seat and wriggle it backwards (I think). Then you'll find a bolt that secures the driver seat, undo and lift the rear and pull back. There is a lug attached which fits under the rear of the tank. be careful as there are two ignition conextions under the seat. Un plug 'em and the seat is free. You will see where the two side panels are attached. Good luck. Hope this helps :cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Actually, this is one of the little things that have a tendency to tick you off.

Having to remove the seat, 1 bolt at the back of the rear seat, and 2 bolts at the back of the front seat, and disconnect the ignition box, so you can get the 2 screws out of the side cover, so you can pull one screw out of the fuse cover, to get in to check fuses. Try doing this along side the highway, at 4 am, on a cold rainy morning, after working a 12 hour shift, and it gets to be a REAL PISSER.

That is why mine no longer has side covers on it.

BTW, pay attention to the bracket that holds the rear seat on, it is REALLY easy to put it on backwards.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Old bikes or most where so much better at g
Sting at stuff.same key to unlock seat and raise to side.tool kit,fuse, and nice box in rear on Suzuki fours 77 through 79

ct

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

My 83 GS1100GK uses one key for ignition, fork lock, seat, hard bags, trunk, trunk release from rack, and even the locking pocket on the fairing...

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.