Carb sync all Intruder models

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Carb sync all Intruder models

Post by Designer »

HDR, I believe this unit works by reading the differentiation between the cylinders.

Like the nanometer you mention, the idea is that when you have Balance, the "fluid levels" to match.

This unit is probably more "sensitive" because it does read off of both cylinders while working together. You might get a more precise Balance Adjustment with this.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

If you are going to make a manometer for a twin cylinder engine the one length of uncut hose version is the best. When you try and complicate things by adding bottles you end up with lots of joins which can potentially leak and the tool is then useless.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid.
A single hose U-tube manometer works better than any other piece of fancy over-engineered crap.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Unless the Engines Vacuum sucks all the fluid out of it. :bow:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 am
Unless the Engines Vacuum sucks all the fluid out of it. :bow:

Please refer to my second post on page #1

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Lechy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:55 am
Designer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 am
Unless the Engines Vacuum sucks all the fluid out of it.
Please refer to my second post on page #1
I have and did. T'was a mighty fine message indeed. :ShitGrin: Quite instructional and helpful. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Not to lock horns with you as I posted that this homemade nanometer can be very accurate. Please refer to my first message on this page. :bow:

Just pointing out what might be termed, the "Achilles Heel" of this set up. As you referenced in your second message on page #1 when you caution about when the carbs are way out-of-sync.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Since we are talking Carb Balance and Accuracy, I once posted about just how sensitive the adjustment is.

While adjusting the Balance, I noticed that even the small, 1/10th-of-a-turn movement of cinching down the Adjusting Barrel Locknut made a noteworthy difference in Balance. So much so that I plan for that by setting the Adjusting Barrel slightly Imbalanced so that when the Locknut is tightened, it is in Perfect Balance.

That got me to thinking. :uhh:

Since such a teeny-tiny movement making for such a readable Balance Change. what would happen if the Adjusting Barrel was made moveable....just a little bit? Couldn't that "little bit" be used to keep the Carb Balance in Fine Tune after setting it? What if that small adjustment could be used to maintain the setting and not have go through the whole,..... Seat off, Tank off, Spare Tank on,...and back again.

So,...I made me a set of Adjusting "mechanisms"' that can be accessed externally,... with the Tank On!

They have a "Range Of Movement" of about 1/8 turn of the Adjusting Barrel. Given that the Locknut Balance Variance I mentioned above didn't even turn the Adjusting Barrel,.. these can easily maintain the Fine Tuning of Carb Balance.

Here's the Front Carb Unit,...the one that sets Idle Balance;

To adjust the 2000 RPM Balance, I use the Rear Carb Adjusting Barrel instead of the Front Carb Adjusting Barrel;

Here they are,...both installed,...In Situ on the Bike;

Here is the Rear Carb Unit component pieces;

Here's the Adjusting Tools.....one is Custom Made from two other tools

And how the tools are used:

So!....Now I can Maintain the Fine Tune on my Bad Boy Chopper's Carbs with only needing to connect the Morgan Carb Tune.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:50 am
That's it, remove that screw, insert threaded adapter tube.
When removing or installing the plug screw on the rear carb be very careful not to lose the fiber washer on it. It is the seal and, I discovered, without it, the plug will leak air when you put the bike back together.

I dropped the screw when I removed it and lost the washer, didn't know it was there.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

When removing or replacing the port screws it pays to have a little dab of grease on the tip of the driver. Being made of brass, a magnetic driver is no good.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Post by Pio412 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 am
Since we are talking Carb Balance and Accuracy, I once posted about just how sensitive the adjustment is.

While adjusting the Balance, I noticed that even the small, 1/10th-of-a-turn movement of cinching down the Adjusting Barrel Locknut made a noteworthy difference in Balance. So much so that I plan for that by setting the Adjusting Barrel slightly Imbalanced so that when the Locknut is tightened, it is in Perfect Balance.

Since such a teeny-tiny movement making for such a readable Balance Change. what would happen if the Adjusting Barrel was made moveable....just a little bit? Couldn't that "little bit" be used to keep the Carb Balance in Fine Tune after setting it? What if that small adjustment could be used to maintain the setting and not have go through the whole,..... Seat off, Tank off, Spare Tank on,...and back again.

So,...I made me a set of Adjusting "mechanisms"' that can be accessed externally,... with the Tank On!

They have a "Range Of Movement" of about 1/8 turn of the Adjusting Barrel. Given that the Locknut Balance Variance I mentioned above didn't even turn the Adjusting Barrel,.. these can easily maintain the Fine Tuning of Carb Balance.

To adjust the 2000 RPM Balance, I use the Rear Carb Adjusting Barrel instead of the Front Carb Adjusting Barrel;

So!....Now I can Maintain the Fine Tune on my Bad Boy Chopper's Carbs with only needing to connect the Morgan Carb Tune.
How is it nobody replied to this? its genius! I might make a few modifications to simplify the design but i love it!
Designer/Engineer

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I will see if I can get this one pinned to the top so it is more visible.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

This looks like a good thing. I saw it before but even when I was in San Diego and riding to work every day I only did the balance every 6 months when I cleaned the filters and it was never all that far out. Now that I only ride for pleasure once a year and it isn't that big of a deal because I have the tank off to do the front filter anyway.

I went from riding 70-100 miles a day to an average of less than 700 miles a month in the summer and maybe 250 in the winter.

I no longer have to ride in bad weather and with temps only getting up to the high 30's or low 40's I don't bother.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Post by azazelakira »

Designer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 am

Would you make some of those for sale?
More RPMs please :putput: