Uncorking 1997 1400 Intruder

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
BuilderBob
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1400 Intruder

Uncorking 1997 1400 Intruder

Post by BuilderBob »

Hello 1400 Intruder Riders...

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've got a 97 1400 Intruder I'm uncorking. I have modified the air boxes, changed the filters to K&N' #RU-1820s, changed just the main jets (front to 150 and rear to 160 - haven't done anything to the pilot jets), shimmed the needle jets by 10% and synced the carbs.

The bike starts great and sounds and runs strong, except when at cruising speeds. It starts starving for gas, back-fires like it's running out of fuel, etc. Should I buy a complet reject kit (Factory Pro Jet Kit or whoever) and changed all the jets in the kit - needle, main and pilot?

Plus is there a video or who-to in print?

Thanks...

Builder Bob :bang:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: Uncorking 1997 1400 Intruder

Post by enforcer »

At what RPM range does it backfire and sputter?
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

BuilderBob
Tricycles are Cool

Post by BuilderBob »

Thanks enforcer for replying.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't run with a tach. But whether it's 40 mph or 70 mph, unless I'm rocking the throttle back and forth at difference speeds, she just continues to sputter and want to quite. Not sure if this helps, but as mentioned before when I'm trying to just cruise down the road, she starts cutting out and wants to just about die. A heavy throttle and she jumps out from underneath you at whatever speed; the thing just won't stay running and cruise down the road.

The older "Intruder-Alert" write-up suggested a complete re-jetting kit - needle, main and pilot. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance for your help.

BuilderBob

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

BuilderBob wrote:Thanks enforcer for replying.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't run with a tach. But whether it's 40 mph or 70 mph, unless I'm rocking the throttle back and forth at difference speeds, she just continues to sputter and want to quite. Not sure if this helps, but as mentioned before when I'm trying to just cruise down the road, she starts cutting out and wants to just about die. A heavy throttle and she jumps out from underneath you at whatever speed; the thing just won't stay running and cruise down the road.

The older "Intruder-Alert" write-up suggested a complete re-jetting kit - needle, main and pilot. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance for your help.

BuilderBob
Sounds like what you're experiencing is your mid range. If it idles fine and runs well at full throttle then raise your needles. The rear needs to be slightly higher than the front to compensate for the lack of air flow. Adjustable needles, if you don't already have them, would be preferred when you're uncorked as they're very easy to keep track of clip position. If you don't have them, then one extra shim under the rear. I.E., if the front has 3 shims under it, the rear should have 4. Step it up 1 shim at a time until the midrange smooths out. Then, after it does, check your plugs. They should be a fair tan color. White and your too lean, black it's too rich.

If I don't understand what you're saying, let me know.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

BuilderBob
Tricycles are Cool

Post by BuilderBob »

Thanks enforcer for the info...will give your suggestions a try this week. I'll let you know the outcome.

BuilderBob

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Okay, well that was a month ago. Must be enjoying his ride.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.