Fuel pump relay connection

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Slimchuckles
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 VS700

Fuel pump relay connection

Post by Slimchuckles »

Hey all, can anyone do me a huge favor and just send me a few pictures of the wiring harness side of the fuel pump relay connection for an 86 Intruder? The wiring harness has been dismantled and the schematic only has the wiring harness side of the picture, not which wires they connect to on the relay side. I need to know for putting the wires in the connectors in the right spots.

Thanks in advance.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Fuel pump relay connection

Post by Herb »

Sorry, I jumpered the connector years ago when the relay went bad so I can't help you.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Slimchuckles
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Slimchuckles »

I know it has a pressure shut off... is it even 100% necessary? I can just bypass around it as well and wire it downstream of the handlebar stop switch...

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Slimchuckles wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 am
I know it has a pressure shut off... is it even 100% necessary? I can just bypass around it as well and wire it downstream of the handlebar stop switch...
I went to the relay connector and jumpered around it. The main reason for the relay is if you spill the bike it shuts off the fuel flow when the engine dies to prevent a spill/fire.

If all you have is the wires, There is an orange/white wire going into the connector that has power all the time, and, if I remember correctly it is a brown/red wire that goes to the fuel pump. connect the 2 together and the pump will run with the key on. The pump has an internal pressure switch that shuts the pump off when the fuel pressure reaches a set amount. I took my bike out this afternoon and when I turned on the key the pump started clicking then slowed to a stop.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Slimchuckles
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Slimchuckles »

I’ll do that then when I make a run switch hot bus and put it on there. Coming from the fuel pump is the black white ground and the brown black power to the pump, I’ll put it there.

Herb wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:15 pm
Slimchuckles wrote:
I went to the relay connector and jumpered around it. The main reason for the relay is if you spill the bike it shuts off the fuel flow when the engine dies to prevent a spill/fire.

If all you have is the wires, There is an orange/white wire going into the connector that has power all the time, and, if I remember correctly it is a brown/red wire that goes to the fuel pump. connect the 2 together and the pump will run with the key on. The pump has an internal pressure switch that shuts the pump off when the fuel pressure reaches a set amount. I took my bike out this afternoon and when I turned on the key the pump started clicking then slowed to a stop.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Slimchuckles wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:14 pm
I’ll do that then when I make a run switch hot bus and put it on there. Coming from the fuel pump is the black white ground and the brown black power to the pump, I’ll put it there.

Herb wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:15 pm
Slimchuckles wrote:

The orange/white wire is only hot when the key is on so it is switched. I think the orange/white wire also goes through the kill switch so the kill switch also kills power to the pump, the orange/white is also power to the coils.