Remove lesser used tech categories and split "Other "into brand

Post your opinions and ideas and/or problems with the board here.
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Remove lesser used tech categories and split "Other "into brand

Post by enforcer »

Title states it all. Volusia and C50 guys congregate at VolusiaRiders.com, LC and C90 guys over on Delphi. M bikes are kind of the bastard Suzuki models coveted by guys who either can't give up sport bikes or want a big behemoth with massive amounts of torque (and And weight to match). Since the mainstays here all ride anything but Intruders, it may be a good way of encouraging new/old members to join in/come back to the tech section by having a spot for what they currently ride. Major brands only of course. Trying to include them all would be a nightmare. Perhaps Victory, Harley, Triumph, Kawi, Yami, Suzi and Honda. KTM and Indian if you must.

Or by region. American, Asian, European,
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Re: Remove lesser used tech categories and split "Other "into brand

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote: I mean, if you were wanting advice on how to fix a Dell laptop, you probably wouldn't go to a site called Apple Mac Repair.
Doesn't mean that we don't already have Mac users here, who may have done some pretty neat stuff to their Macs. Maybe they just don't post because they don't like being referred to as other. And if they did post, when someone searched specifically for something that was done, they may get pointed here, which also drums up business.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Yeah....I smell a conspiracy a brewing here. I won't be having any of that shit going on 'round here! :fu:
Y'all can take that crap and shove it somewhere, well you know where! :fu:

Now, If I didn't put them :fu: guys in there, ya'll probly think I was actually PO'd er somethin'!
In considering Keith's idea of making arrangements/changes to the board layout, that is acceptable to me, but someone is gonna have to watch over that shit!

I think before we make any such modifications to the board and it's layout itself goes, we better have some law already in place before I do such a change.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

YoDude wrote:Yeah....I smell a conspiracy a brewing here. I won't be having any of that shit going on 'round here! :fu:
Y'all can take that crap and shove it somewhere, well you know where! :fu:

Now, If I didn't put them :fu: guys in there, ya'll probly think I was actually PO'd er somethin'!
In considering Keith's idea of making arrangements/changes to the board layout, that is acceptable to me, but someone is gonna have to watch over that shit!

I think before we make any such modifications to the board and it's layout itself goes, we better have some law already in place before I do such a change.

Yo-
Conspiracy would infer we made some sort of plan before I posted. We didn't. As far as law, I'm pretty sure the fact that Keith is LE and he's for the idea should be all the law you need. There's no monkey business in the tech section anyhow, right? Or was I the only one that was made clear to?

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

Simple suggestions (such as adding to your profile what state you live in) seem to generate unnecessary angst which achieves nothing. So my suggestion is to eliminate the suggestion box. :evil:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

NE_FL wrote:(such as adding to your profile what state you live in) seem to generate unnecessary angst which achieves nothing. :evil:
I live in a state of perpetual confusion.... Does that help?
Scott

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Okay well, I haven't tinkered with the forum for a while now and as much as I hate to do so, I think this is a great idea.
I think an easy way to do it is to use a sticky index list at the op of the tech section. It will have links to specific bikes listed in separate sub section to make navigation as easy as possible. It will reduce the number of clicks necessary to get to specific information.

I think Keith's idea of breaking up the bikes by region of origin is good but using this method is going to cause a lot of sub folders within the tech section. I don't see an easy way to do this and still keep everything organized.

Tech section home page.
American
.....Harley
........Big fat heavy cruiser
........Not quite so big oil leaker

.....Victory
.........Magnum
.........Cross Country
.........Kingpin

Jap bikes
.....Honda
........Goldwing
........CB900
........Etc.
........Etc.

.....Kaw
........KZ650
........KZ900
........Etc.

The index page can be laid out the same way as the structure of the forums are laid out, or listed alphabetically. It just makes is a simple one click to get where you want to be.

Sound ok? Now's your chance!

Yo-

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Region and brand would have been fine, or region alone. Adding too many subforums, such as model, only complicates things. It only worked on IA, because there was only one region and brand to discuss. I would still leave the intruder sub models on the main page as that seems to be the life blood of the site, but ditch the forums that aren't being used and move the threads in other to the correct model in each region. That way, it stays uncluttered and ease of use isn't impeded. It could still deviate into sub models later, if interest dictates.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I'll tell ya what, I'll bring out the 1400 and the 800 forums to the main page and leave the rest where they are now.
We'll only add more bikes as they come along to us.

The problem being that a lot of the info here is model specific.
We don't want to have Kaw threads intermingled with Zuki threads, that would be a disaster for finding anything.
The index Thread will make it easier at least.