What is a fair price to ask.

Buy, sell or trade. This is the place for it.
Be aware that transactions here are in no way the responsibility of this forum.
Rider1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400

What is a fair price to ask.

Post by Rider1 »

Hello all, due to family issues, work, health and otherwise, it seems every time I try and get these carbs back on, I have been pulled away to other issues. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to finish putting the carbs back on. My time is so limited, it sucks. So, can anyone tell me what a fair price would be for this bike? The bike is titled as a 1998, but the engine is only a four speed. It comes with the fairing, saddlebags, leather storage pouch (on the forks), and tires have less than 500 miles on them. Here are some pics:

Just need to know a fair price to ask. Thanks

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Re: What is a fair price to ask.

Post by Swcoinguy »

Where are you located? It matters when comparing to local bikes for sale.

Rider1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rider1 »

I am located about 30 miles south of chicago

Thanks

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Rider1 wrote:I am located about 30 miles south of chicago

Thanks
I'd look at things like craigslist and the other local sale sections/papers. Concidering the bike doesn't run and no one is going to truly know what you know I'd say be conservative with you price and you should be able to sell it. If I were looking at it to buy I wouldn't want to pay more than the value of "parts". That way if I couldn't get it running I could get my money back from selling the parts. Things like the motor and frame are never going to sell or if they do it would be because they were very reasonably priced. Check eBay and see what comparable items actually sell for. The asking price of items is not a true indicator of what it would actually sell for. A lot of parts on eBay have been posted for a long time and will probably never sell at the price being asked, take that into consideration when you determine what you want to ask for the bike.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The NADA and KBB websites will give you used motorcycle values based on your zip code.

Rider1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rider1 »

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will do the research and will go very conservative on the price. I know the longer I think about it the more I will want to keep it.

Thanks again.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Rider1 wrote:Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will do the research and will go very conservative on the price. I know the longer I think about it the more I will want to keep it.

Thanks again.
I hope you don't think I'm saying just give it away. It does have value. Finding the person who thinks it's worth what you think it's worth may be hard but finding someone who thinks it's worth an agreeable price shouldn't be impossible-unless your priced to high.
Once you decide what you want for it post it here too. A member in your area may gladly give you what you ask. Members here value these bikes more than the general public because we know about them and understand the goods and bads and therefore probably be willing to take a chance on it verses someone with little to no knowledge or experience with Intruders.

Rider1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rider1 »

Your advice sounds good. I will probably ask for about 1/3 to one half of what a running bike would go for.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Rider1 wrote:Your advice sounds good. I will probably ask for about 1/3 to one half of what a running bike would go for.
Sounds like a good place to start. If you don't have any luck you can always come down. It's hard to go up after someone calls though lol.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by ecbaatz »

Have you decided on a price yet?
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

Rider1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rider1 »

800 OBO is about 1/3 of what the running ones are going for in this area, would seem like a fair price.

Thanks