96 1400 Fuel Tank

Buy, sell or trade. This is the place for it.
Be aware that transactions here are in no way the responsibility of this forum.
keges335
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

96 1400 Fuel Tank

Post by keges335 »

Looking for a 96 1400 Fuel Tank,.,Blue in color with White side stripes OEM,., :

Thks Keith,., :putput:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: 96 1400 Fuel Tank

Post by FallenAngel »

keges335 wrote:Looking for a 96 1400 Fuel Tank,.,Blue in color with White side stripes OEM,., :

Thks Keith,., :putput:
Just curios
Yours Rusted out?
Or you just dont have one?

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Mine is in good shape inside,.,The outside has small dent and paint scratch ,. Just seeing what is out there that might be in really good shape,.,

:putput:

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Mine is in good shape inside,.,The outside has small dent and paint scratch ,. Just seeing what is out there that might be in really good shape,.,

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

keges335 wrote:Mine is in good shape inside,.,The outside has small dent and paint scratch ,. Just seeing what is out there that might be in really good shape,.,

Most of the Intruder tanks have been used up because of rusting out. There was an after market tank that was available and very desirable but not cost effective. I think it was in the 1500,00 range? And I believe it held almost a gallon more fuel

Even the rusted out tanks I have seen here are more then I would want to pay
The metal used to make the Intruder tanks is very thin and small dents can be removed with a few tools and patience
I use a tool like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Dent-Pu ... GcEALw_wcB

Keep your eyes open Tank deals pop up from time to time here on the boards
And
Depending on where the dent is You may be able to reach it with a blunt rod

Now the fun part
A riding buddy of mine had a small dent in his tank from the handle bars. Some one suggested compressed air,it was not me, to get the dent out and He ended up turning his tank into a foot ball. I heard some aggresive banging in the garage and when I want out to check on what he was building He was banging the tank on the Back bone trying to get it to fit
I wish I had a video of him Beating the Tank on the back bone trying to get the Tunnel back in shape

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Thks for the info. And I will keep looking not that bad actually,.,Anyone ever bought paint from Color rite to repaint anything on their Bikes,.,?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Yup Colorite makes good stuff. For a small scratch just buy the bottle with the brush in the cap.
Depending on your paint code, you may need the two stage...base color and top color.

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Ok thinking of painting the whole tank again,.,are those factory white stripes ,.Decal,.,? or Paint ,.,? :putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

keges335 wrote:Ok thinking of painting the whole tank again,.,are those factory white stripes ,.Decal,.,? or Paint ,.,? :putput:
If original, Factory Paint.
Keep in mind that your paint probably faded over the years, and a Colorite repaint may not match your faded paint.
Many body shops can scan your paint and match it, faded and all.

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Ok I will remember that,.,Thks for all the help,,.Really only a small little dent on top by tape. And paint scratch . Overall tank is in really good shape,.,I thought about new tape kit,.Did I read that right,.$140.00 a side,.? Thought maybe there was a aftermarket Co.that made decal kits for that bike but didn"t find any,.,

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Find a local sign shop to make new vinyl decals.

Savageman99
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1400 Intruder

Post by Savageman99 »

Just a thought on rusted tanks, solder or better yet, brazing will work. I've two s40 tanks I want the speedo area opened up and closed in. I plan on brazing.

Draven
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1400 Intruder

Post by Draven »

FallenAngel wrote:
keges335 wrote:Mine is in good shape inside,.,The outside has small dent and paint scratch ,. Just seeing what is out there that might be in really good shape,.,

Most of the Intruder tanks have been used up because of rusting out. There was an after market tank that was available and very desirable but not cost effective. I think it was in the 1500,00 range? And I believe it held almost a gallon more fuel

The metal used to make the Intruder tanks is very thin and small dents can be removed with a few tools and patience
I use a tool like this

And

Now the fun part
A riding buddy of mine had a small dent in his tank from the handle bars. Some one suggested compressed air,it was not me, to get the dent out and He ended up turning his tank into a foot ball. I heard some aggresive banging in the garage and when I want out to check on what he was building He was banging the tank on the Back bone trying to get it to fit
I wish I had a video of him Beating the Tank on the back bone trying to get the Tunnel back in shape
Not that I'm willing to pay that much for a new tank but do have a link or a lead to those after market tanks? I'm going to patch at kreem mine but I'd like to get another one down the road.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Draven wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

I use a tool like this

And

Now the fun part
Not that I'm willing to pay that much for a new tank but do have a link or a lead to those after market tanks? I'm going to patch at kreem mine but I'd like to get another one down the road.
No I dont
The builder of those tanks no lounger produces them
Bronx intruder was going to fab a V star tank at one time I dont know if he succeeded
I was hoping to make a mold for a larger tank but havnt got around to it yet(Molds are messy to make and take up space)

Johnfrmcal Had one for sale Here is his post
http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... 20&t=10229
His account was last active Jan 29, 2019
But you can try an E Mail from his profile page to see if he still has it
http://www.intruders-alert.com/memberli ... ile&u=4017
Id like to buy it just to have it Myself