Hello from MI

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Ryanmolnar55
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 Intruder VS1400

Hello from MI

Post by Ryanmolnar55 »

Hey everyone, I'm Ryan. I live in Laingsburg MI. I'm a new Rider (as of April) and I ride a 97 VS1400GLP. So far I've learned much about my bike and have done a good bit of wrenching on it. I've jetted the carbs, installed pods, rebuilt calipers and forks. New fuel pump and (used) relay. My resistance test on the old relay was inaccurate and come to find out the used relay I purchased didnt give accurate readings as well. Relay doesn't seem to be an issue so I kept my old relay as a spare.

My first ride was quite the learning curve, puttering around a school parking lot and after making a few laps I got it in my head that (I got this!). Coming around a bend I thought I was slow enough not to counter steer well I was wrong and I experienced target fixation. Turned the bar into the bend and the bike went opposite then I couldn't stop looking at the sign I was headed straight for. Grabbed front brake before hitting the curb and caught the edge of the sign with my shoulder and stalled the bike. My friend came running over laughing hysterically and says "It's Lesson time!.....Do you know what you did wrong there?" Being a smartass I told him...." I must have zigged when I should have zagged. Lesson learned and I went for a few more laps. I'm 32 and this is the first time I've rode a motorcycle. Sad but it is what it is.

After much practice in my subdivision I finally decided I was ready for the open road. My buddy comes over with his girl and we take off for my first ride. It was an experience, everything was going well for the first few miles then I notice a Harley rider behind me and shortly after I'm assuming he got the vibe that I was green and passed me. He gets in front of our group and throws up a sign and my buddy and his girl throw there blinker on. I'm like wtf is going on and I look down and I'd left my blinker on for quite some time. LESSON LEARNED. We get to the state park and park the bikes and my buddy is giving me advice and laughing which is totally understandable. Heading back to the main road my bike acts like it's starving for fuel and then dies. Fuel pump took a poop. Called my wife to bring my truck and luckily where I broke down there was a bunch of boy scouts camping out and when my wife got to me there were more than enough guys to load it into my truck. Of course my wife is taking pics of the whole process.

Before I even get 20 miles on my bike I've learned a great deal about the bike and myself as a rider. After the breakdown I made a list of parts and ordered them. I spent a few days after work replacing parts and syncing carbs.

Since replacing parts Ive put almost 200 mi on the bike and I'm feeling much more comfortable all together. On one ride I had a kid talk crap to me in a parking lot which I thought was hilarious. He said my bike sounds like shit and I waved him over but he pussed out and drove off. I'm by no means a pro and I still get nervous at times but I am learning alot. My kids absolutely love the bike and can't wait to go for a ride with dad. I don't plan on taking them till I'm 100%. They are less patient than I am.

Glad to have found this site and there's much info on here that makes my life easier.

Thanks everyone!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Hello from MI

Post by navigator »

Welcome :cheers:
And before you replace the pump, try switching to reserve. [emoji2]

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Oh and please take a Motorcycle safety course from MSF.
You will learn many helpful tips.

Ryanmolnar55
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Ryanmolnar55 »

Thanks for the advice and I've signed up for the safety course in June. Probably should have done that soon after purchasing the bike. :bang:

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 Intruder VS800

Post by Rudy619 »

Took the MSF course recently and learned so much. I will say that it’s just the start. MSF will help teach slow maneuvers and the basics. You’re still gonna keep needing more practice. They do offer advanced courses incase you need em!

Ride safe out there !
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

Welcome to riding. I'm in your neck of the woods down in Lansing, and I get up that way once or twice a week (probably going to hit Round Lake Rd tonight). Message me if you want to go for a ride or need a hand wrenching.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Welcome to the boards Ryan
I learned about Ride like a pro from a post on these boards

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

I got the Combo Deal it’s going for $84.75. It came with a book that shows you how to set up different course’s and a detailed description of why, using cones to hone your skill’s. Each course prepares you for what can happen on the street form basic moves to hazard avoidance.
The book is a bonus and alone is worth every penny. The videos are well edited and scripted to give the most benefit to the customer.

Here is a small taste of the practice guide You can download
https://www.ridelikeapro.com/wp-content ... eGuide.pdf

He also sends updates to your E Mail and when you send an E Mail to Jerry He answers it him self. Which I thought was really freaking cool.
I sent an E Mail about my bikes Both are 1400 cc Intruders. In less then a day He sent an E Mail back saying that because most of the courses are meant to be learned in the friction zone that I should let my Hydraulic clutch system cool down after about 15 minutes of practice.
I was

I recommend “The ride like a pro” videos and Practice guide to every motorcycle rider I come across.
If nothing else Please visit his site for tips and get on the mailing list for the latest tips.
You will be glad you did
[youtube][/youtube]
Also dont let anyone force you into riding past your ability's and comfort zone.

Be Safe by Riding Safe

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Welcome aboard! [emoji106]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Ride safe and Post often [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Dman7
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Hello from MI

Post by Dman7 »

Welcome! I’m new as well and my 97 1400 is my first bike too! I don’t even have my license yet. Still fixing it to get it running !

Denis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanmolnar55
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Ryanmolnar55 »

So first season was a great success. I got my endorsement, put 5200 mi on my bike and received great advice from lots of riders. I'm absolutely infatuated with everything motorcycle related now. My wife thinks we will have issues in the near future if she doesn't get a bike too. I plan on doing some used motorcycle shopping for her but I need some advice on a cruiser bike for her. She's 5'2". She was talking a moped and I'm thinking not.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

One of my old girlfriends rode a 250 Honda Rebel I never rode it but it looked comfortable
I friends wife stands just under 5' She rides a Honda 750 Shadow
I know a few woman the ride 750 Intruder's

If your looking at cruisers

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Agreed on the 750 shadow, nice low seat height.
The 250 may be too small for highway riding or very long hauls.
IMO The VS800 is a good size bike for her, it weighs in at 450 lbs. As long as the seat height works and she can flatfoot at stops.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

The 250 is a good trainer or for city riding But not cost effective and too small and light for highway riding even with its low stance I would be concerned about the lack of power when needed and getting pushed around by larger vehicles wake when passing.
The 750 shadow has nice seat height But I havnt seen to many that really look as cool as the intruders
I agree The VS800 or even a 750 would be a good size bike for her, and of course as long as she can flatfoot at stops.
Both the 750 and 800 intruders would be good started bikes after taking the training course

Ryanmolnar55
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Ryanmolnar55 »

Great advice, I was concerned with a 250 and that definitely answers my question. It would be awesome for us both to have intruders. I'll be on the hunt now. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Ryanmolnar55
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Ryanmolnar55 »

She will definitely be taking a riders course.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Ryanmolnar55 wrote:Great advice, I was concerned with a 250 and that definitely answers my question. It would be awesome for us both to have intruders. I'll be on the hunt now. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
She will definitely be taking a riders course.
I would suggest Not picking up a Bike until after She finises the Safety Course My roommates wife droped the bike to many times during her training and quickly lost confidence and interest in being anything more then a passenger.
I would really like to pick up a Honda 250 for her to practice on But I dont believe she is to keen on using it.
She does enjoy being a passenger so I think in time she will return to the MSC and give another try. At least I hope so anyway

Ryanmolnar55
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Ryanmolnar55 »

That makes sense, my wife has a moped that she likes to ride but she's never had to shift through gears. We'll put her through the course first and go from there. Hopefully your roommates wife gets on it again. Confidence is definitely key.